General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standing up all day at work and getting sore legs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-04 12:05 AM

Subject: Standing up all day at work and getting sore legs
I used to have a desk job which involved sitting most of the day but now I have a job where I'm standing the majority of the day and after work my legs are quite a bit more sore and I feel lots more tired. 

Anyone have this problem? Is it just a case of harden up or are there tips and tricks to overcome it?

Thanks in advance! 

2010-11-04 2:01 AM
in reply to: #3194236

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
Subject: RE: Standing up all day at work and getting sore legs
Are you standing in one place all day or are you moving around?  Like any activity your body will acclimate after some time, but some comfortable shoes and a decent surface to stand on would go a long way to help. Also if you're standing still it might help to use the old military trick and make sure you always stand with a slight flex in your knees, never with your knees locked out.

2010-11-04 7:40 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
I work 12hr shifts that are all standing. I do not stand in 1 spot, but it is 12hrs on my feet.

Get a comfortable pair off shoes, I use Dansko's. One other thing I do  that seems to work a little is to wear compression socks.
I have only ever used compression socks for recovery purposes and I find that wearing them to work, especially after a longer or tougher run, really helps the legs. The socks aren't going to make you feel all sprightly but they do help some.

Other than that. Suck it up.
2013-11-11 3:12 PM
in reply to: Flying Kiwi

User image

The 951
I work in foodservice and back in the days of being a line cook I just HTFU.
2013-11-11 6:05 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Same issue here. I'm an elementary teacher plus coach swimming so my typical work day involves up to 10 hours of mostly standing (or, worse yet, squatting) next to kids, and walking around my classroom. I do almost all my run training early AM, so it's normal for me to go to work after a hard workout. Compression shorts or tights are a godsend for this situation, especially after hard runningt. If it's your calves that tighten up, and tights aren't practical, then compression socks. Plus comfortable shoes with good arch supports.
2013-11-11 6:18 PM

User image

I'm a union carpenter that spends 60 a week on my legs. BUT that's sixty hours of suedo training.

2013-11-11 6:27 PM

Regular
Portland
As a working general contractor ( some days framing, labor, sider, concrete work and everything in between) and approaching 50 years old my legs are continuously beat up. I have yet to find a week of continuous run training of 25 mpw while training for 1/2 marry in December. That being said I use my foam roller every other day and begin each run at a much slower pace to see how my body feels before getting going and then try to remember the post run stretching. I also have realistic goals for the amount of training I do for every race I enter, after all I do this for fun and to stay off the "happy pills".
2013-11-11 7:57 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
When I went from a mostly desk job to standing/walking on concrete all day my feet were insanely sore. Took a few weeks then it got better fairly quick.

After 10 years of walking on concrete 8 hours a day I find thats its a huge benefit, not so much for tri, but definitely for running ultras.

I x2 on getting good shoes that work for you. Personally I like Keens, and when I'm alone at work I push the fatigue mats aside and stay on the concrete

Also, doing your running in the morning when your legs are fresh will help.

Edited by LittleCat 2013-11-11 8:00 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Standing up all day at work and getting sore legs Rss Feed