General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri coming up need some bike advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-08-01 10:05 AM

Regular
Maine
Subject: First Tri coming up need some bike advice
Hi all-

I have my first tri this weekend and I'm new to biking. Call me stupid, but I've never changed a bicycle tire and I don't even carry any equipment to do so with me when I ride. (I've been carrying my cell phone to make a call if I get a flat! sad I know) Anyway, with 5 days to go I need to learn how to change a tire and make sure I have the necessary stuff with me. If I don't, I will surely have a flat!

So, what do I need? I have a small bag on the back of my bike seat which usually carries my cell phone and an allen wrench (not sure why I have that but it's in there) Will I hurt my tire/tube by practicing a tire change? (I have a MB with slicks on it that I can practice on if I need to.)

Thanks!

Susan

2005-08-01 10:11 AM
in reply to: #212527

User image

Extreme Veteran
Québec City
Subject: RE: First Tri coming up need some bike advice
Here's a link on the subject that might be helpful :

http://www.ehow.com/how_224_change-flat-tire.html

The only thing left off if you want to get very good at it is a couple of hours of practice...

Good luck !

Christian.
2005-08-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: #212527

Pro
Andover
Subject: RE: First Tri coming up need some bike advice
Call the LBS and tell them you need to get stuff to fix a flat and you'd like them to show you how to do it. Set up a time that will work for them and bring your bike. Make sure they show you how to fix the rear tire, without using the stand--the rear wheel is more difficult to take off / install than the front and you won't have the luxury of a stand on the road. A good shop will have no problem doing this for you, especially since you will be purchasing the stuff you need from them.

Good luck,
Rob
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri coming up need some bike advice Rss Feed