General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rohto Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-11-17 6:20 PM

Subject: Rohto Ironman 70.3 Florida

I just signed up any one want to train I start training soon. 

Rohto Ironman 70.3 Florida

Website | News/Press Releases
May 15, 2011
Orlando, Florida

Originally from: http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3#ixzz15aZISGcw

2010-11-17 7:00 PM
in reply to: #3215805

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Rohto Ironman 70.3 Florida
I'm considering this for my first HIM. I'll be deciding (and most likely registering) by the end of the month!
2010-11-17 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3215847

This will be my first too.  i need some one to ride and run with for my long run and rides it is just to boreing and to slow to be alone the whole time.  What have you done so far as far as Tri's I have only completed a few sprints but I am doing the brandon half in December and then onward to training. 
2010-11-17 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3215869

User image

Pro
Brandon half... are you a west coaster?

I live in Ft Lauderdale. I'd train with you if you were in the area!
2010-11-18 5:43 AM

New user
Valrico
I signed up for IMFL 70.3 a couple months ago.  It will also be my first HIM.  I've done 6 sprints and 2 Olympics this year (my first season).  I'm doing the Key West Olympic on 12/5 also.  My first half marathon is a trail run this Sunday, 11/21, at Alafia River State Park.  Everything I'm doing is focused on IMFL 70.3 in May.  It will be by far the single hardest physical endeavor I've ever attempted.  I can't wait.  Then I'll know where I stand in my pursuit for IM.  The road goes on forever and the party never ends.  Cool

I was going to do the Brandon half marathon, but it's the same weekend as the Key West Tri.  I know a bunch of people involved with the Brandon Half.  And I live in Valrico so it's a very local race for me.  It's just a bad weekend.  Tris' win out over running events every time.

Jay

Edited by Jay G 2010-11-18 5:45 AM
2010-11-18 9:59 PM
in reply to: #3216112

@ jay where do you do your long bikes and runs most of my runs i do local but i like to train at suncoast or flat woods for the bike.  i have less raceing experence then you i am just jumping over the oly for now i might sign up for one between now and the HIM but i am still unsure if i want to. 

2010-11-19 7:38 AM

New user
Valrico
There are a couple places I ride.  I live in Bloomingdale so I have Natures Way and Culbreath to ride around right from my house.  It's a 4 mile loop that is just OK to ride.  Durring rush hour it's been pretty busy and I've nearly been hit (intentionally close drive by's) once on every ride I've done recently.  I'm very close to moving to my piece of junk trainer because I don't want to die on the road.  Also it's getting dark too soon now and that just makes it worse.

The other place I've ridden lately is San Antonio with a small group of tri friends I met at the YMCA.  It's a spectacular place to ride, and there are hills.  It's much nicer than doing 10-15 loops around the neighborhood.

I haven't gone to flatwoods yet, but I want to.  Mostly I want to take my kids there because I hear it's a safe place where they can also ride.

If I had the money to spend on a nice trainer/simulator I might just quit riding on the road almost completely.  I'm very courteous when I ride, and I ride well within a foot of the edge of the road, but there are just too many people out there that hate us, and I am seriously in fear of my life lately.

As far as long runs go, I run around the same 4 mile loop or the 1.2 mile loop that my house is on.  Or a combination of both.  My normal run now is two loops with a stop back at my house in the middle to refill my water/honey water.  That works out to 9 miles with the run to and from the loop from my house.

I swim at the Campo YMCA.  In the summer when the Y pool is ridiculously over crowded I resistance swim in my home pool.

Personally I wouldn't jump from a sprint to a HIM, but I guess it just depends on how you train.

Also, consider St. Anthony's on May 1st.  It's a HUGE race and it's an unbelievable experience.  Some thought I was a little crazy for doing such a big event on my second triathlon, but I'm really glad I did and I very much look forward to doing it every year now.  It really is a spectacle.  I hope it doesn't change much now that it's in the 5150 series by WTC.  It will be interesting to see the difference this year now that they are involved in it.

Jay

Edited by Jay G 2010-11-19 7:41 AM
2010-11-20 12:21 PM

I am registered for the FL 70.3 race also. It will be my first HIM and I have been doing tri's for 2 seasons now. I have mostly done sprints and I did a 1/2 marathon last year. I don't think there is any problem jumping from sprints to a HIM, as long you have done the training. I'm in Lithia, the next town over from Valrico. There are plenty of nice country roads out here to ride, you will see more cows than cars. There are groups that leave from the 7-11 at Bell Shoals and Boyette and it must be 20 miles to Sun City Center from there. Well, I almost can't wait to start my training plan for this race. St. Anthonys is on May 1st, about 2 weeks in front of the 70.3, which makes me hesitate registering for St. A's. What do you guys think is that way to close?
2010-11-20 12:48 PM
in reply to: #3219464

New user
Valrico
I am going to do St. Anthony's before IMFL 70.3.

I know about the group that leaves from the 7-11.  The traffic has got me spooked lately around here.  Too many jack hole drivers almost hitting me, and I ride 6 inches off the edge of the road.   I'm about to the point of sticking to my trainer except for some rides at Flatwoods and San Antonio.  I've tempted fate enough, and I seriously believe it's only a matter of time before someone hits me.

Jay
2010-11-20 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Jay - r u familiar with the Sat/SUn rides at Fishwawk? Actually BellShoals/Boyette?

Sats is faster paced and Sun is all levels and 3 distances (35/50/70) at least those are the distances from my home @ FH.  I think its a great group ride with very lil traffic.  BTW: theres also a group run here.  Check them out at Hit the trails (.com???)

Consider these runs and bike groups for training - they really helped for me even tho I was the only rider on a tri bike.  I am taking a break now thru Dec 31 but come Jan 1, I am back on the rides and local run scene. 

I just did my first HIM (the Miami 70.3 fiasco) and want to do FL70.3  but am not sure what's gonna be the catch on my free race (per WTC announcement after "the fiasco").  I travel quite a bit so I might use my freebie somewhere else...

2010-11-21 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3219499

New user
Valrico
Thanks.  Yes, I've heard about the rides.  I may check them out.

Hit the trails is my running store.  I buy all my shoes from Steve.  He's a great guy.

There's no way I'm doing a group run at this point.  Nobody runs as slow as I do.  Smile Seriously I may do group runs later.  Right now I just run when I can and whatever intensity I feel like at the time.  The run is very much my weak spot.

This morning I did my first half marathon.  I did the cross country half marathon trail run out at Alafia River State Park.  All part of the plan to make it through the 70.3.  My time was roughly 2:32.  I'm more than happy with that since I finished and I didn't walk any of it.

Thanks for the info, and good luck on your free race.  I read all about the Miami race.  What a disaster. 

Jay

Edited by Jay G 2010-11-21 1:49 PM

2010-11-22 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
I am in for this year again.  If anyone has questions let me know.  I live on the bike course
2010-11-25 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3221619

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW Florida Gulf Coast
[email protected] - 2010-11-22 1:11 PM I am in for this year again.  If anyone has questions let me know.  I live on the bike course

You are hardcore, Brian!  I will not do that race again until they change the run course.  No way, Jose! LOL!  I'll be rooting for you, though!  Maybe a late season cold front will be kind to y'all and make that trail run a bit more bearable.  I know that you will get your revenge one way or the other.

Hope you are recovering well!  How's that knee? 
2010-11-26 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Knee is not good.  Still painful going to see a doc on Tuesday to let them check it out.  Got me really down right now wondering if it is going to sideline me for a while.  I will see Tuesday.  I have only road the bike twice and nothing else since B2B.  I am ready to got at it again after a two week layoff but I will wait and see what they say Tuesday. 

Don't blame you for not doing Disney 70.3 the run is terrible.  I just can't pass it up since it is 10 minutes from the house.  I ended up signing up for Florida IM instead of IMAZ.  I got in with a foundation slot.  I wanted to do Florida anyway since I had not done it before and waited to late to sign up before it filled up.  I am pumped for that IM!

Hope you and Scott are doing well and your training is going well also.
2010-11-26 9:00 AM

So then still no body in the Tampa wanting to train?  I start my official plan on Monday. 

2010-11-26 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3226506

New user
Valrico

Sorry.  I'm not able to set specific times more often than not.  Such is life married with two kids.  I'm lucky if I can find the time at some point in the evening to do what I plan on doing.  My workouts almost never start at a specific time, just when I free up the time.  It's usually by the seat of my pants day to day.

I think there is a lot to be said for solo training though.  You can always do what is spcifically best for you without having to wait on someone else or have someone else waiting on you.  It works out best for what you want to accomplish so long as you have the ability to follow through on your plan without relying on someone else to motivate you.  Done properly I don't think you can beat solo training.

Jay

2010-11-26 12:10 PM
in reply to: #3226608

I was thinking the same thing.  It would just be nice to see someone suffer with me.  Looks like i am going it alone for now anyways. 

2010-11-26 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3226644

New user
Valrico

If your a member of any tri teams you can also try there.  If your a YMCA member you should be a member of T3, the Tampa Tri Team.  It's free to YMCA members.  Check with the Bob Sieara YMCA for more info on them.  I'm on T3 as well as Team Psych.  Great groups of people.

I'm pretty sure that all the teams have some sort of scheduled group training times.

The more I hear about the Florida 70.3 the more I hear about how bad the run is.  At first I heard it was hard, then I was told things like "I know you've heard it's hard, but really, it's very hard."  And then I heard "I know you've heard it's really really hard, but seriously it's really really really much harder than hard and you'd be better off running through pools of molten lava than doing the run in Ironman FL 70.3"  or "I'd rather swim through boiling vats of acid than do the run..."

So, I guess I don't really have a question about the run.  I'm going to train as hard as I can, and I'm going to do the run even if I have to crawl, so there's really nothing more to say.  I just hope I'm more prepared for it than the hype would lead me to believe I'm not.

After just doing the Alafia River State Park X-Country half marathon trail run I was going to do the Clearwater half next which is a road run.  But now I'm thinking I'm going to do the next Alafia River State Park technical (much more difficult) single track trail run on 1/30.  Hopefully that will better prepare me for the run on the 70.3.  I guess there isn't much else I can do but train hard and hope for the best.  I will finish it, and that's all I really care about on this first HIM.

Jay

2010-11-26 6:33 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
I completed Miami HIM last month and most of my training was solo and "whenever I could" too.
There were rare ocassions when I would need the training partner to break the monotony but most of the times I went solo.  It works.  I am off thru Jan1, doing mostly weights and strength now but focused the off-season on family and new work responsibilities. 

Since this is off-season for most of us, my suggestion would be to focus your training on your singular most weak sport.  Most training plans last 12-16 weeks plenty of time before May. 

Good luck for now - call me back on Jan
2010-11-27 12:06 PM

User image

Tampa, FL
Florida 70.3 is a great race. The run can be hard but that is OK. Everyone is out there together. If you wanted easy, you would not be doing a half iron. The service trails are not the easiest to run on, with three loops it can get crowded, and it can be hot (May in FL). This all just makes for a better post race story!

The bike course is good. It has just enough rolling hills to break things up. The swim will not be wetsuit legal but other than visibility the conditions will be good. The only swim complaint is that Disney will not allow you in the lake until the gun goes off.

I assume Tom Z. is still the race director. He is a great RD and the race will be well run. This is very important. Ask those that did Miami 70.3.

I enjoy training on the “hilly” section of the bike course. Maybe some of us could get together and do a ride over there one Sunday.
2010-12-03 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3227289

User image

Elite
Miami
D-Smoke - 2010-11-27 12:06 PM Florida 70.3 is a great race. The run can be hard but that is OK. Everyone is out there together. If you wanted easy, you would not be doing a half iron. The service trails are not the easiest to run on, with three loops it can get crowded, and it can be hot (May in FL). This all just makes for a better post race story! The bike course is good. It has just enough rolling hills to break things up. The swim will not be wetsuit legal but other than visibility the conditions will be good. The only swim complaint is that Disney will not allow you in the lake until the gun goes off. I assume Tom Z. is still the race director. He is a great RD and the race will be well run. This is very important. Ask those that did Miami 70.3. I enjoy training on the “hilly” section of the bike course. Maybe some of us could get together and do a ride over there one Sunday.

considering i am comming from miami...how hilly is the bike and how harsh is the run?

2010-12-03 4:28 PM
in reply to: #3235665

User image

Tampa, FL

considering i am comming from miami...how hilly is the bike and how harsh is the run?

Hilly is a relative term. I think most would say this course is very minimum on hills. There is nothing on this course to get me out of my big ring (53/25). Some might shift to small ring on one of the hills. Just do not expect pancake flat like MiamiMan. It would be nice if others commented on the hills as I kind of like hills.

The run starts on paved road then moves onto service trails. These service trails have tire ruts which can be challenging. For this race the trails normally have been mowed. That is not the case for other race I have done on the same course. The trees tend to block the wind on these trials but not the sun. You come off the trails on road briefly and then onto a paved trail. The paved trail is the nicest section with shade. There are a couple tight turns. I like the 3 loop format for mentally breaking down the race. The problem is with three loops you end up with a lot of people on the course at the same time. And these people are moving at a wide range of paces. So you might be dodging people (or being dodged) especially at aid stations. This can make it difficult to get what you need at the stations.

Edited by D-Smoke 2010-12-03 4:43 PM
2010-12-07 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3236029

User image

Elite
Miami
D-Smoke - 2010-12-03 4:28 PM

Hilly is a relative term. I think most would say this course is very minimum on hills. There is nothing on this course to get me out of my big ring (53/25). Some might shift to small ring on one of the hills. Just do not expect pancake flat like MiamiMan. It would be nice if others commented on the hills as I kind of like hills. The run starts on paved road then moves onto service trails. These service trails have tire ruts which can be challenging. For this race the trails normally have been mowed. That is not the case for other race I have done on the same course. The trees tend to block the wind on these trials but not the sun. You come off the trails on road briefly and then onto a paved trail. The paved trail is the nicest section with shade. There are a couple tight turns. I like the 3 loop format for mentally breaking down the race. The problem is with three loops you end up with a lot of people on the course at the same time. And these people are moving at a wide range of paces. So you might be dodging people (or being dodged) especially at aid stations. This can make it difficult to get what you need at the stations.

thanks, great info.  hopefully now my free entry from miami 70.3 will work for this before it sells out.

i am comming from miami so its not that i don't like hills i just never ridden any, as there is none here besides bridges.  as far as heat we have plenty of that, but that doesn't mean i like it.  i saw the ave run times were about 2:30 for this course.  so the heat must be brutal.

2010-12-11 9:55 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
After the Miami fiasco... I got and replied to my email on Dec 1 and got my registration instructions yesterday... I am officially in @ this race. 
2011-01-03 4:49 PM

User image

This will be my 5th HIM and 3rd time doing this race. The location of the race is great especially if you have a family. Plenty to do for the the kids while they wait for you to finish. I would recommend staying in the campground/cabins or Fort Wilderness Lodge. It makes race day a lot easier when you can get out of bed at 5:00am, walk 1/4 to 1/2 mile to transition and not have to worry about driving to the parking lot, waiting for the bus to take you to transition. The swim is covered with safety personnel so no worries about needing help.  The water visibility is 1-3 feet, so you will be in for a shock if all you have done is swim in the pool with lane lines. The bike course is good with some hills, nothing to worry about or train specifically for. As for the run, there is no getting around this one, it is TOUGH. 3 loops with halve of each loop on packed dirt canal banks. The trees on both sides of the canal bank block any wind. Don't blow all your energy on the bike because you will need it for the run. I would recommend getting sponges on your first lap and keep them throughout the entire run because they tend to run out. Almost all aid stations on the run have baby pools filled with ice water. Take the few seconds to ring out the sponges and soak up the cold water at each. I try and get three sponges, one goes on the back of my neck, the other two down the front of my jersey. Last year after the race they let you soak in the lake, but you could not go out deep. Going back to staying on location, now you can go back to your room if you are able to get a late checkout, or you can still take a dip in the pool to clean up. Beats getting back on the bus, getting back in your car, then driving home.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rohto Ironman 70.3 Florida Rss Feed  

of 2