General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Core fitness... more like lack of.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-11-24 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL
Subject: Core fitness... more like lack of....
I started the D3 core strengthening workouts today... how long until you start to see results... I feel like I have ZERO core strength... Sealed

2010-11-25 3:57 AM
in reply to: #3225470

User image

Veteran
Upstate NY
Subject: RE: Core fitness... more like lack of....

The core isn't something that I used to train to much, so it took a few weeks for me and it was pretty gradual.  I started doing sort of a cross fit type interval training with weights and the results sort of sneaked up on me.  It always hurt and they were always tough, but one day I realised I was lifting three times what I started with (you start with low weight)... minimum of a half dozen workouts IMHO...

2010-11-26 3:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I have been fortunate to have a decently strong core starting in high school swimming with dryland workouts, but then I lost some after graduation '06.

Then spring '09 I was training for my 2nd HIM and followed the BT plan which inluded the D3 core workouts. It wasn't that bad at first, but I would say after 3-5 weeks I started seeing improvements with the amount of repetitions, the stability and strength I felt in my core.

As long as you keep maintaining it, you will be golden, it is much easier to do it that way then to lose it and get it back.

For objective comparison, I could do 55-60 crunches in a minute with a high degree of effort before, now I do 70-80 crunches in a minute.

2010-11-26 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Prattville, AL
I did Part I of the D3 core plan... and for 2 days felt like I tore my rotator cuff in both shoulders... the only exercise that could have done that were the pushups with my feet on the exercise ball... not good!
2010-11-28 1:36 AM
in reply to: #3226680

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Oriondriver02 - 2010-11-26 1:18 PM

I did Part I of the D3 core plan... and for 2 days felt like I tore my rotator cuff in both shoulders... the only exercise that could have done that were the pushups with my feet on the exercise ball... not good!

Push ups with your feet elevated actually work your shoulder stabilizers harder than your core, although there is some core activation. This is actually a decent exercise but it is more for shoulder stability. Most of the so-called core programs out there still rely heavily on the crunch. Crunches aren't terrible, but they can only do so much. I predict that you'll get adjusted to crunches within a week. The remainder of these programs call for standing on some type of balance apparatus or standing on one-leg. To be quite blunt, these exercises are a waste of time. If you're a busy person trying to train for a tri, they are a double waste of time (if that's possible). In an effort to make money and stay competitive, these core fitness gurus have created these routines based on movements that have a place in a rehab setting, but do virtually nothing for a healthy athlete. Here are the Bear's Rules for Core Training:

Don't go crazy with crunches. Better yet, instead of crunches, do the Garhammer Raise shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6an84BrXEBw

If you're also lifting weights, remember that whenever you stand holding a weight, your core is being engaged to support you. It's not something you need to think about; that is the job of the core. Squats, deadlifts, and standing overhead presses will all build excellent support strength in the core. Your core is essentially being worked while you do the other exercises - another reason not to go crazy with crunches.

The ab wheel/ab rollout is also a great exercise, better than crunches.

To gain some explosive power, and to just plain have some fun, take a medicine and slam it to the ground. A substitute would be to attach a bungee cord to a wall with both ends hanging down. Grab the ends and pull on the cord as if you were double-poling in skiing. This also works the lats and triceps so it's a 2-for-1 movement.

"Strongman" exercises are also excellent for the core. Examples include pulling or pushing a weighted sled and carrying heavy stuff for time or distance. I realize that this is not practical for many people, but with some creativity you can design some simple strongman circuits. For instance, if you have kids, pick them up and carry them around. Or pick up your dog. Or your overweight mother-in-law. Okay, the last one probably not, but carrying heavy stuff is how our bodies were designed to work - not laying on the ground and crunching up like a dead bug.
2010-11-30 7:28 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Best core strengthening exercises I've found are heavy compound movements like deadlifts and squats.  Might not be realistic in an endurance athlete's schedule but they will get you up to speed very quickly.

2014-10-20 8:32 PM
in reply to: 0

edit: wow this is a dead forum

Originally posted by uhcoog

Best core strengthening exercises I've found are heavy compound movements like deadlifts and squats.  Might not be realistic in an endurance athlete's schedule but they will get you up to speed very quickly.

I found the opposite. I commute on the bike, stop at the gym across the street. Instead of showering straight away, take 15 minutes to do two sets of 3x5, with one warm up set. Just two lifts, every day, not much time investment at all, but I feel better when I do it. I found squats and deadlifts were great for being comfortable in an aggressive position on the bike; I went from hanging out on the tops/hoods all the time to being comfortable in the hooks or the drops all the time within a month of dedicated lifting-mind you, I never spent more than 30 minutes in the gym.

I suspect the aero gains from positioning were more helpful that riding a little bit more, speed wise as well.

...I should get back in the gym. Or at least get a squat rack for home.

Edited by jsully 2014-10-20 8:45 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Core fitness... more like lack of.... Rss Feed