General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aero hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-20 12:47 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: aero hydration
I'm rethinking my hydration set up.  Currently I have a Speedfil and a behind the seat water bottle holder.  Want to ditch the behind the seat for aero reasons (I believe it's been proven to be the worst aero-wise of common hydration options), right?  I also have an aero bottle for the frame and an old PD drink thingy for between the aerobars from craigslist I got on a whim cause it was only $5.  which is faster, that or a bottle mounted "torpedo" style (which I'd DIY with a regular cage and zip ties?  I'm not concerned with ease of drinking.  I am concerned with how best to keep a 310 mounted up there, both aero and able to be seen relatively easily.

Here's my thoughts:
Sprint - just the aero bottle

Oly - aero bottle and PD OR torpedo esq (assuming no bottle exchange, with exchange just bottle)

HIM - Keep the speedfil or do the aero bottle along with a bar mounted option?  One would be to refill with water, one would have a concentrated energy drink that I don't need to refill.  I'd carry a spare tire, levers and CO2 here too - taped under the seat the best option?  Gel packets taped to the frame (4-5) or in a flask in my back pocket?  I did the gel/concentrated drink combo cause in training I thought too many gels didn't seem great on my system.  I'm now thinking I could do it.  In which case, would just the bottle/speedfil, the flask and 1-2 gels taped to the frame be best?  The way the bottle lid is, I think I can pop it open and refill it as I ride.

Sorry for the verbal mess that is my questions.

Thanks in advance.

2010-12-20 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3255101

User image

Elite
Miami
Subject: RE: aero hydration
i think i have a nice pic of my transition setup for 70.3 but i can't access from work.  

i had the following:

1)  bottle on the down tube, aero specialized bottle
2)  bottle on the aero bars, 20 oz
3)  flat repair kit tight under the seat

the flat repair kit was so snug in their that if you looked from the front of the bike it was nearly invisible.  mind you this screwed me over a tad, as there wasn't enough water on the course i had to actually stop at one of the stations to fill my water bottle.

Edited by trix 2010-12-20 12:59 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aero hydration Rss Feed