General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with Heart rate monitor problem. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-12-28 4:20 AM

Subject: Running with Heart rate monitor problem.
Hi everyone.

I have a polar f4 HRM which works perfectly when cycling, walking, swimming, light jogging etc. However when I start running at a reasonable speed it seems incapable of giving me a proper reading.  It may say '43' or some other ridiculously low reading or stop reading altogether.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does the impact or upper body twisting of running prevent it from making a good connection?  

Any suggestions? Do i need to tape it down?  are HRM capable of giving proper readings whilst running at a fast pace?

2010-12-28 6:30 AM
in reply to: #3263890

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Running with Heart rate monitor problem.
G'day severz22

We have a lot to trouble shoot.
Do you moisten the two contact points on your T31 transmitter?
Is the strap tight enough so the two contact are actually touching the skin?
F4's are a little old, could be your battery in the sealed T31, I might want to try a mates T31, make sure it is NONE CODED.
If it is your transmitter, purchase a new Wear Link, it is the fabric type with user friendly battery, the new FT4's come with the Wear Link.
2010-12-28 9:45 AM

User image

Pro
to add to the list of possible causes above,
I used Static Guard spray on my tech shirt.  The cold dry air was messing with my HRM, and this totally fixed the problem.
2010-12-28 8:25 PM
in reply to: #3263931

WVarta.PolarRep - 2010-12-28 11:30 PM G'day severz22

We have a lot to trouble shoot.
Do you moisten the two contact points on your T31 transmitter?
Is the strap tight enough so the two contact are actually touching the skin?
F4's are a little old, could be your battery in the sealed T31, I might want to try a mates T31, make sure it is NONE CODED.
If it is your transmitter, purchase a new Wear Link, it is the fabric type with user friendly battery, the new FT4's come with the Wear Link.

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes i always moisten the contact points before wearing and the strap is tight to the point where i think it might effect my breathing if it were any tighter.  Its strange, it only doesn't read HR properly when running so the rest of the time the battery and transmitter seem to be fine.

Sadly i don't know anybody else with a another strap to test on.  I wonder if that gel that they use in medical practices when placing electrodes will make a better connection than sweat / water.  I might go for a run later tonight and tape the chest strap down to see if i can further isolate where the problem may stem from
2010-12-30 3:36 PM

New user

Hey,

I do think it could be a connection issue with your body movement mostly. This isn't really normal - you should be getting 100% reliable readings regardless of your effort(otherwise what's the point?!)

Lets do this, take the transmitter - turn it upside down and put it on your back. For some people it may make a more solid connection with the flatter surface area. Definitely try the gel also.  If that doesn't work shoot me a PM and we'll work it out.  I seriously won't sleep at night until you have it working=)

Chris

Edited by chris@polar 2010-12-30 3:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with Heart rate monitor problem. Rss Feed