General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really, Wade Phillips? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-05 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Really, Wade Phillips?
Sorry, but I need to vent and figure fellow Texans would not mind and might have some feelings of there own.  Let me say up front that I am not about to start a Cowboys / Texans debate so here goes my Houston Texans Rant.

The Texans should have fired Kubiak, I know nice guy and all that but come on it's getting old.  I figure that we would have learned something from the Capers - Carr Era.  I want a coach that is going to hold people accountable and not be there friend.  Someone who gets into the game, fist pumps, high fives, real emotion both positive and negative.  I swear if I have to her Kubiak one more time say "this ones on me" I will throw up.  If all the games he said that were turly on him then how is he still her.

Next we fire Frank Bush - no real issue here because the defense has been terrible, but come on how much of the zone / no blitz defensive strategy was coming from Kubiak to Bush.  Also Bush was Kubiak's Guy - He picked him.

Not only do we keep Kubiak but we also let Smith stay as the GM.  Now it is obvious that the two combined do not locate or produce much talent thru the draft.  A. Foster was a beast, a beast that was on the practice squad for almost a year, then had two 100 yard games to end last year, but we turned around and drafted a RB in the first round (never played a regular season game - injury blah blah blah) and then watched Foster win the rushing title. No one can tell me that Foster became that good between the draft and the start of the season, C'mon Man!

Now on to what I consider the worst and I understand he has had some good defenses as a def. coordinator, but seriously Wade Phillips.  Just what we need, another Players Coach, A Heck of a Nice Guy, a Friend of Kubiak.  Like Cowboys fans did not have enough to make fun of the Texans with, now we turn around and hire there Fired Coach, who was terrible, which shows that the Cowboys do likely have more sense then the Texans. 

Sorry, but as a Texans Fan, I am sick of the whole thing, First Carr and Capers, Then Rick Smith and Kubiak, Now Kubiak and Phillips, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY MAKE IT STOP. 

I guess the saving grace in all this is that it really is not that important in the grand scheme of life, but it does still tick me off.

2011-01-05 10:30 AM
in reply to: #3279343

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Really, Wade Phillips?
actually Phillips is not that bad as a defensive coach, and from the few games I saw of the texans, that's where they seemed to need to most help.

I cringe everytime the announcers would say how much better the cowboys were offensively, running more, better play calling once Phillips left... Since it was the same guy (garret) calling the plays.   
2011-01-05 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lewisville
Yeah... I was so sick of the "he's a nice guy" feeling from the players. No one really respected him. I do think he's a better coordinator than a head coach, so hopefully it will work out better for you guys.
2011-01-05 10:36 AM

User image

Pro
CyFair
Actually if you are going to bring someone in STRICTLY for defense Phillips isn't a bad choice.  He's one of those guys that makes an excellent co-ordinator but can't be a head coach to save his life.  I too wanted Kubiak gone and Cowher in, but if they were going to keep Kubiak this isn't a bad choice for DC.  I still would like to see Smith out though and someone who isn't going to cave to Kubiak in for GM.
2011-01-05 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston/Richmond area
Fire the head coach and we would have to wait 2 or 3 years before we would see any improvement.  A new defense can make immediate changes and we can see the results in the first year.  With that being said, it should be playoffs or bust next year. And we mean it this time. Smile
2011-01-06 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hear what everyone is saying and I know that he was a pretty good DC but my other fear goes into what Bogy said, but the reverse.  I am afraid that even if he is that good we are looking at 2 to 3 years because of the change in fronts.  We would be switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 and remember that Capers was a 3-4 Guru and we saw how that worked.  I also think about the fact that we only have one good end that will now she more double teams, two good Linebacker's one of which is coming off season ending injury and one that did not look the same this year (to me Cush was more timid and did not play as hard).  Which leads me back to Kubiak and Smith's ability to Draft and get two more front guys and two more backers, o' and lets not forget that they have garbage in the secondary that they have to draft for and I don't see them spending alot in free agency to fill the voids.  I guess in a way that I would almost rather they blow it up and really stink than to have another average type season, 8-8 ish.  I am starting to notice that they are kind off handleing things like Uncle Dra does with the Astros, unknown stay competitive enough to keep the fans coming, but not much more.  I am also a big Astros Fan which just makes all this with the Texans even worse.  (let me add by good I am really refering more to them be Pro Bowl type players)

2011-01-06 10:22 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I agree. I can't believe they kept him. I don't buy the 2-3 year turnaround stuff either. We already stink, and it's been that way for a long time. They should have spent some big bucks and grabbed a big time coach like Bill Cowar. I also think they should spend some big bucks on a qb, but that's another story. A good coach could get us out of the hole in 1 season. 2 seasons and we're in the playoffs. The 'warm fuzzies' and 'let's hold hands and be friends' crap has got to go.
2011-01-07 9:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
I 100% agree with you.  Kubiak should have not been allowed on the plane home after the Jets game let alone given the chance to coach next season.

On paper the Texans have the talent to compete.  Especially in the division.  They make a couple of mistakes every single game that turns a victory into defeat and small mistakes fall directly on the coach and his staff.  In the NFL there is a very fine line between good and bad teams, the good ones (Pats, Steelers, New Orleans) do not make the small mistakes, whereas the bad ones do.  Phillips might be a solid D-Coordinator but Kubiak is still the HC and this team will reflect his abilities.

2011-01-07 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Wade will finally have that Defense playing the way they have been capable of.  Houston has had a playoff team for the last 3-4 years...but the defense is always loosing games at the finish.  Mario Williams could be putting up D-Ware type numbers next year.  Wade's got blitzing schemes only kapers can match.
2011-01-07 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
And although I am surprised that Kubiak did not get fired...I don't disagree with it at all.  It's been mentioned by someone here...Houston has always been pretty much awful.  however, you expect him to change that in 2 yrs?  One more year...I'm sick of the win-now attitude everyone has in the NFL...it's as if teams would sacrifice the next ten years just to get into the playoff THIS year.  Remember when coaches would last for 10-20 years?  Landry, Walsh, Brown...
2011-01-07 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
BMC, I hear what you are saying but Kubiak has had six years, not 1 or 2 and he picked the other coaching and GM pieces.  The other thing is the coaches you listed were great, they put together winners and kept them that way.  Even when they had a few bad years people would look past that because of the past records and seasons (PLAYOFFS).  I get what you are saying, I am not a change for change sake person but just think that it was time.  Also while Wade does have a great defensive mind, he was pretty much calling the Defense in Dallas as the head coach this year and they were not much better than Houston.  The other thing is that Ware has much better pieces with him than Mario, who has basically no up front help and no coverage from backfield, which both allow extra time for the D ends to get to the QB.  Not agruing BMC just repling and giving background into my fears.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really, Wade Phillips? Rss Feed