Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I need advice about the friend in the bad relationship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-08-08 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: I need advice about the friend in the bad relationship
Yesterday the guy flat refused to let my friend visit me telling her "She is bad for you". I am a lot of things, not all positive, but bad for this friend is not one of them. He also told her that he did not see why she wanted to parent her two youngest children and the best thing would be just to walk away since they will not know she is gone anyway. While I do agree that there is a large part of her two autistic sons that is probably not aware she is gone I cannot believe or imagine someone saying that to a mother who loves them so much. It is hard to know what is going on the boys heads and I believe they do need her, more than anyone outside of them will ever know. They are great kids. Just watching her with them is an inspiration and a joy. I am not sure I could do it. Those boys do need her even if it is not always apparent.

She wants to leave but has some concerns about doing it. I am watching him demean her and try to control her. She just told me she had to get off the phone in case he came home unexpectadly comes home and finds her on the phone talking to me. He acts the same way about her other friends too.

She makes a lot of excuses to stay and I am not sure what to do about it. I want to show up there with a van and get her out but I don't think she is ready. She says that he is very proud that he has not hit a woman. I am sorry but i hear a "yet" in there. It would not even occur to my husband to be "proud" of that. He would not even consider it as an option let alone that he had to have so much tremendous self control that he should be "proud" of a non choice. That is like saying someone is proud cause they never drowned a kitten. Maybe I am getting more emotional than I should be about this? I don't know. I have been trying to be careful to ask her good questions.

I just have every freaking red flag going up on this. I don't know who to talk to about it other than here and my husband because the one person I could talk to about this is her and well she is in it. I asked her what she would say if it was me with this guy and she got real quiet.

I am thinking hard here and getting upset about this. Thoughts? I know I cannot get her out till she is ready. Are there questions I can ask to get her to get some perspective about this?

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-08 10:05 AM

2005-08-08 10:18 AM
in reply to: #219217

Austin, TX
Subject: RE: I need advice about the friend in the bad relationship
1) No guy should be "proud" that he has never hit a woman. I am a man and I was taught to treat a woman how I want my mother and sister to be treated. That is rediculous...seriously, I cannot comprehend that statement.

2) I don't know if this board is qualified to help you on this (not trying to speak for everyone), but this sounds pretty serious and a counselor, therapist, etc should probably be contacted.
2005-08-08 10:20 AM
in reply to: #219248

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Right I get a counselor should be contacted and visited.. I cannot make her go tho. I am just fishing for ideas about what to do next here and taking a reality check that I am right to be concerned.
2005-08-08 10:36 AM
in reply to: #219250

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-08-08 10:41 AM
in reply to: #219269

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
- 2005-08-08 11:36 AM

nliedel - 2005-08-08 8:20 AM Right I get a counselor should be contacted and visited.. I cannot make her go tho. I am just fishing for ideas about what to do next here and taking a reality check that I am right to be concerned.

Um, yeah red flags should be going up, anytime a woman is concerned to be talking to you on the phone because she is scared of her husband coming home is a huge problem. You are NOT bad for her, you are a threat to the husband because you are detrimental to his manipulation not to your friend.

I don't really understand the problem though, he wants her to leave him with the kids? 

If you don't call social services now, you're basically waiting for something bad to happen to justify doing so.

Trust your gut, something is wrong.

Did not explain this well. I am sorry. No, he wants her to not visit her boys anymore and just let her ex husband have full custody because they cause him too much stress. The boys are not his, they are her exes. This is a farily new relationship. Same guy who told her I was a liar cause I was not losing enough weight as much as I am working out. One of the reasons I brought this here. Some of you have already had thoughts on this.

I sent her some links about abusive relationships. They do seem to point to being worried about this.

Because the kids are not with her I cnanot call Social Services. This is considered a "domestic" problem. He has not done anything illegal.

2005-08-08 10:56 AM

Sydney Australia
Subject:

2005-08-08 11:20 AM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
This guy is not just an asshole, he's an abuser. Everything he's doing is classic behavoir found in an abusive relationship. The first step is cutting the person off from her existing relationships. Their motivation for doing so is to make the person more dependent on the abuser, unable to receive feedback about damaging the relationship is, and futher damage his or her self-esteem through isolation.

He's attacking you as a liar, fat, bad for her, etc, so he can convince her to stop talking to you. It's particularly important to him because I guaranty that he knows you can't stand him. He wants to cut her off from her sons because he wants her emotionally dependent on him alone.

I'm with you on being stunned that he's proud he's never hit a woman. This implies that he feels that there have been times in his life where he would have been fully justified to do so, but he managed to restrain himself. Even if he's telling the truth about never hitting a woman (which is definitely up for debate), it's damn near certain that he's been verbally and emotionally abusive.

The fact that she is afraid of getting "caught" on the phone talking to you sums the whole situation up.

I don't know the right answer here. One possibility is to get a hold of somebody at a local crisis center with plenty of experience who can explain all these patterns of behavior and warning signs. If that person has lived through it themselves as well, even better. Take that person with you and meet with your friend or even call. They'll know how to handle it. You're right that she won't leave until she's ready. But if the person you have talk to your friend starts talking about her own experience, your friend will quickly see how her relationship is following the exact same pattern. It may not do the trick, but it'll be one more nudge in the right direction.

My own experience in this area comes from dealing with the after affects of these situations. My ex-wife was verbally and physically abused by her first husband and only left after she had a baby. She had repeatedly gone back to him, always convinced that things would change. It wasn't until she had another person to worry about that she took action. I also had a girlfriend prior to that who had gone through a very similar situation.

It always starts small and progresses in small increments. The person getting abused rationalizes each of those small steps until they're getting beaten up and they're left wondering how the hell they got in that situation and feeling like they can't get out.
2005-08-08 11:20 AM
in reply to: #219298

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Fortunatly I think, although I cannot know for sure, that this is the "lust" phase of love cause the relationship is new and not too far gone. I hope so anyway.

She says she is leaving but then comes up with lots of reasons why she can't go today. I am going to give her a couple days and talk to her daily.
2005-08-08 11:22 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

(1) The guy is a Class A verbal abuser.  I was married to one so I know.  Trying to isolate her from her friends/family? Check.  Making her scared to talk to someone on the phone? Check.  Giving her guilt trips about how she is not focused enough on him? Check. 

Someone who's proud cause they've never hit a woman, is someone to stay far, far, away from.

(2) You need to be there for her.  It's really hard to leave someone like that - it's scary.  Partially because you start buying into all the crap they're handing you and partially cause you really are afraid of how they'll react.  Especially if you've never dealt with that sort've relationship dynamic before.

(3) There's a couple of really good books about Verbal Abuse.  Just go to Amazon and look up Verbal Abuse.  You'll find a lot of stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1558505822/qid=1123516776/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-2472133-7479329

This one was the most helpful for me to disect what was going on.  There's also another one by this author that was helpful as well.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1558503048/qid=1123517529/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-2472133-7479329?v=glance&s=books

This one is stories and thoughts from people who survived a verbally abusive relationship.  For me, reading this book was like looking in a mirror.  After this was when I tried for the counseling option and so on.  After this book was when I knew things had to change, cause I didn't want to be one of the women in there that had put up with this type of relationship for decades. It wasn't immediate, it still took me a couple of years to leave, but this book I think, was the biggest motivator to get out.

You could get a couple of the books available (or check them out of the library) read them, see if you think they apply and then give them to her on the sly.  Tell her to read them, and if they don't apply to her then she has nothing to worry about.  But if they do, then she needs to think about where she wants to be.

(4) You're already asking her good questions.  The one about what would she think if it was you was very good.  Tell her you're concerned, tell her you'll do whatever she wants you to do.  You could also ask her if this is how she wants to live her life for the next 20 years.  Another one might be if she would be acting this same way if he wasn't there.  If she was on her own, is this what she would be doing?  Sometimes, you get tunnel vision, just living moment to moment cause that's all you can handle.  She also might be really scared of being on her own, alone, with no relationship. 

(5) Most important.  Be there for her.  Make sure you stay in contact, even if it's minimal, even if she is calling you in secret.  She needs that voice of sanity and she needs to know you'll be there for her if she needs you.

Unfortunately, you can't do it for her.  She's the one who has to decide to walk away from this guy.  You can support her, you can talk to her, but ultimately it's her life and she's the one who has to make it work.

2005-08-08 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I copied and pasted this whole discussion and sent it to her. Thanks. I also sent her to several online sites that point out warning signs and that scared her a lot. I will stay in contact and tell her my door is open for her to come here or to help her get her own place.

2005-08-08 11:41 AM
in reply to: #219276

nliedel - 2005-08-08 10:41 AM

QUOTE]

Did not explain this well. I am sorry. No, he wants her to not visit her boys anymore and just let her ex husband have full custody because they cause him too much stress. The boys are not his, they are her exes. This is a farily new relationship. Same guy who told her I was a liar cause I was not losing enough weight as much as I am working out. One of the reasons I brought this here. Some of you have already had thoughts on this.

I sent her some links about abusive relationships. They do seem to point to being worried about this.

Because the kids are not with her I cnanot call Social Services. This is considered a "domestic" problem. He has not done anything illegal.

Is this her first relationship since her divorice? Was her marriage abusive? Does she have a pattern of being in abusive realtionships? If not, then her involvement with this guy may be just a bad mistake -- sounds like she's got a clue that it's no good. If her marriage was not abusive then she must have some idea of what a healthy realtionship is, and her good sense will eventually lead her out of this.

Stay supportive, keep letting her know you are there for her. If you haven't already you may have to litterally say something like: call me anytime and I will pick you up.

The thing with the kids is just creepy. Who is he to say who she can love? Hum...he's trying ot get rid of you, trying ot get rid of the children she loves...trying to isolate her? That's a BAD sign.

2005-08-08 11:41 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

A couple more things.  Verbal abuse is not someone having an off day and they act like a jerk.  We all have those days.  The difference is that there is a clearly discernable pattern that happens all the time, and is very consistent.

For instance.  Anyone could have a day where they might say "Your friend is bad for you."  Who knows?  Maybe you said something that made that statement reasonable.

The difference is that the verbally abusive person will say those kind of statements, repeatedly and often.  In other words - there is a pattern and you can see it.

Another key thing - can the guy admit he is wrong?  Does he ever apologize if she calls him on something that's out of line?  And is it sincere?  In my relationship, my ex would never admit to any kind of fault.  About anything.  He was never the one who had made a mistake or done something wrong.  It was always either (a) me, (b) someone else, (c) the job, or (d) the universe was against him.

2005-08-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: #219380

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
OK to answer two posters at once. No, he cannot admit he is wrong according to her.

Everything is her fault. (what he says, baby on lap)

Her marriage was not abusive but her ex is passive aggressive. The new guy is his polar opposite.

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-08 11:55 AM
2005-08-08 3:12 PM
in reply to: #219396

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: Update
I just got off the phone with her. She got up a lot of nerve and guts and called the guys ex wife. There is reason to be concerned and a restraining order which is still in effect.

So bottom line here. She has devised an exit strategy for tomorrow. Without my sending her the posts here she would still be questioning. Thank you, thank you, thank you so very much. I asked her to remove all history and cache from the computer she uses there and to remove my name from caller id and not leave anything about me around since it is sort of obvious who the "bad" guy is here (me).
2005-08-08 3:36 PM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2005-08-08 3:36 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Nancy, you're a good friend. I'm glad to hear she found out about the restraining order, something had to give her that last little push to get the hell out of there. Stick with her and make sure she follows through.

The kids thing was not only creepy but offensive on so many levels. What, he thinks that autistic = vegetable??? And really, so what if it does? How ignorant (not that this guy sounds anything but). I won't even start on that, here, but it offends me greatly. And of course the never hitting a woman (yeah, right). So how many men has he hit? Is that OK? Violence is the way this guy solves his problems? Winner. :P

Sorry, not to beat a dead horse, got lots of my buttons in one post. I'm glad you kept after her, and I'm glad to hear she's getting out of there. Be careful, both of you.

Edited by madeye 2005-08-08 3:37 PM

2005-08-08 3:40 PM
in reply to: #219396

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I've got some red flags myself on this, and  none of them have to do with the guy.  I've got a news flash - the world is FULL of shitty people.  They will do all variety of horrible things to anyone within striking distance - and you're never going to change that by wailing about how bad "they" are.  They exist, we all agree they're bad, they are always going to exist, deal with it.

The weak link here is your friend. And I stress the word weak. She has jumped headlong into the victim pool, and you're right there on the sidelines asking "having a good swim, dear? I'm here to pull you out when you're done, don't worry about trying to do it yourself".  Now, that probably made you mad, but let me be clear on what I mean.  I am NOT saying you should not help your friend, if it were my friend I'd help them.  But never in the history of the world has a weak person gotten stronger without having gone through some very bad times and getting THEMSELVES out of those tough times. You don't know you posses inner strength unless you are forced to USE IT.  Instead of coming at her from the position of "he's bad, he's wrong, he's an abuser" and somehow implying that HE caused this situation, you should be of the position  "you deserve better, you can do better, you should want / need / expect better, you have to be a strong woman for your boys, you are their protector", and make it clear that SHE is responsible for this situation and SHE is responsible to make it stop.  She has to be strong enough to take some personal accountability for what she has allowed to happen, or we're right back to victim. 

If this woman does not get some strength, you're just going to be "rescuing" her from the next asshole she takes up with, and believe me, she will. Certainly sounds like she 2 for 2 so far. Again, I'm not saying not to help. But if I love someone, to me the BEST way to help is to at least TRY make them see that they can live in the world and take care of themselves. If they don't know how to do that, I want to do everything I can to encourage them to find their own personal strength.  I want people I love to know that they are cabable people, and that if they show that to others, it is virtually impossible to victimize them.  Since I have two adult children, I have had to walk the talk on this and it is incredibly difficult.  You have to say "I will advise you if you ask me to, but I will not get you out of this situation - you must do that for yourself".  It's one of the hardest, but most rewarding things you can do for someone you really love.  You see the change in them, you see the growth, and it's a beautiful thing.

in reply to: #219653

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Update
Holy crap. A restraining order?

I'm so glad she worked up the courage to call the ex. That conversation alone probably did more than anything you said to convince her of what she was dealing with. I'm even more glad that she's realized the potential nightmare she's in and has decided to get out now.

For your own sake, and not to make you paranoid, but please take some extra precautions over the next couple of weeks when it comes to your personal protection: lock doors, make sure your husband knows your training routes, carry a cell phone and mace/pepper spray, and ALWAYS be situationally aware. These things should be automatic for everyone anyway (not just females), put please pay special attention to them in the coming days. You did a fantastic job helping your friend out of a situation that would have escalated very quickly. None of us here want to see you end up paying a price for it. I'd hate to have to travel to Michigan to join your husband in tracking this piece of crap down if he retaliates.
in reply to: #219685

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I was careful to ask good questions and you people helped tremendously! it was CAdreamer's words that finally got her to wake up.
2005-08-08 3:50 PM
in reply to: #219690

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Tania - 2005-08-08 4:40 PM

I've got some red flags myself on this, and  none of them have to do with the guy.  I've got a news flash - the world is FULL of shitty people.  They will do all variety of horrible things to anyone within striking distance - and you're never going to change that by wailing about how bad "they" are.  They exist, we all agree they're bad, they are always going to exist, deal with it.

The weak link here is your friend. And I stress the word weak. She has jumped headlong into the victim pool, and you're right there on the sidelines asking "having a good swim, dear? I'm here to pull you out when you're done, don't worry about trying to do it yourself".  Now, that probably made you mad, but let me be clear on what I mean.  I am NOT saying you should not help your friend, if it were my friend I'd help them.  But never in the history of the world has a weak person gotten stronger without having gone through some very bad times and getting THEMSELVES out of those tough times. You don't know you posses inner strength unless you are forced to USE IT.  Instead of coming at her from the position of "he's bad, he's wrong, he's an abuser" and somehow implying that HE caused this situation, you should be of the position  "you deserve better, you can do better, you should want / need / expect better, you have to be a strong woman for your boys, you are their protector", and make it clear that SHE is responsible for this situation and SHE is responsible to make it stop.  She has to be strong enough to take some personal accountability for what she has allowed to happen, or we're right back to victim. 

If this woman does not get some strength, you're just going to be "rescuing" her from the next asshole she takes up with, and believe me, she will. Certainly sounds like she 2 for 2 so far. Again, I'm not saying not to help. But if I love someone, to me the BEST way to help is to at least TRY make them see that they can live in the world and take care of themselves. If they don't know how to do that, I want to do everything I can to encourage them to find their own personal strength.  I want people I love to know that they are cabable people, and that if they show that to others, it is virtually impossible to victimize them.  Since I have two adult children, I have had to walk the talk on this and it is incredibly difficult.  You have to say "I will advise you if you ask me to, but I will not get you out of this situation - you must do that for yourself".  It's one of the hardest, but most rewarding things you can do for someone you really love.  You see the change in them, you see the growth, and it's a beautiful thing.

Wow, that was a lot of assumptions and most not correct. I did not tell her he was bad even though my red flags were going off. I asked her quetions and when she asked me what I thought I was dead honest but not until she expressed doubt herself. I did ask her what she deserved in a relationship and if this is what made her happy? I did not post all conversations and would not. I suggested she talk to someone and asked her what her plans were about that. I believe she should learn to live on her own before she enters another relationship. I am also good friends with her ex and know that this is not a pattern for her. This seems to be an abberation. her ex is a basically good guy with some passive aggressive issues that he is working on. Most having to do with not taking out the garbage etc. Nothing that can be construed in any way as abuse. I have never stated nor implied that her ex was abusive in any way. This new guy is the polar opposite of her ex. Which is one of his appeals I am sure.

She made her exit stratagy and I listened and told her I would help her if I could . I did not make it for her and did not tell her to get out "or else". I did not offer any advise on the situation until she came to me on this. I have made that very clear from the start of this situation and past posts will back me up.

I do not support or condone someone being a professional victim and I would love to see where in any of this I have made it look like I have? Yes I sound a little irritated because I have been so very careful in all of this to advise her without pushing her and trying to help her see what she wants and needs and that she has the tools to get help. She can swim on her own here. I never stated nor implied she was drowning. She is a very strong and capable woman or she would not be walking away now, a month into this relationship, rather months later. She figured it out early and the credit for that mostly goes to her.

Edited by nliedel 2005-08-08 3:57 PM
2005-08-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: #219692

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Update
dgunthert - 2005-08-08 4:40 PM

Holy crap. A restraining order?

I'm so glad she worked up the courage to call the ex. That conversation alone probably did more than anything you said to convince her of what she was dealing with. I'm even more glad that she's realized the potential nightmare she's in and has decided to get out now.

For your own sake, and not to make you paranoid, but please take some extra precautions over the next couple of weeks when it comes to your personal protection: lock doors, make sure your husband knows your training routes, carry a cell phone and mace/pepper spray, and ALWAYS be situationally aware. These things should be automatic for everyone anyway (not just females), put please pay special attention to them in the coming days. You did a fantastic job helping your friend out of a situation that would have escalated very quickly. None of us here want to see you end up paying a price for it. I'd hate to have to travel to Michigan to join your husband in tracking this piece of crap down if he retaliates.

Thanks I already do most of that now. I try to be aware of what is going on around me and this is an odd week when most of the workouts I am doing are not alone.

2005-08-08 4:00 PM

User image

Buttercup

Holy crackamoly - this guy is someone to RUN the f*** away from.

Encourage your friend to get counselling. She needs to find her senses so that she does not fall back into a life with this asswipe. Abusers can be very charming; they've got the whole honeymoon period down to a science. I seriously doubt he is going to let her go without a fight.

2005-08-08 4:08 PM
in reply to: #219718

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Renee - 2005-08-08 5:00 PM

Holy crackamoly - this guy is someone to RUN the f*** away from.

Encourage your friend to get counselling. She needs to find her senses so that she does not fall back into a life with this asswipe. Abusers can be very charming; they've got the whole honeymoon period down to a science. I seriously doubt he is going to let her go without a fight.

Have done so can't force her to go unfortunatly. I think it would help her a lot. I know it helped me in a similar situation years ago. Asked her if she was going to make a plan to talk to someone and she said she was. It's all up to her now. I think this giu is going to have a hard time letting this go to but that has yet to happen.
2005-08-08 4:17 PM
in reply to: #219693

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
nliedel - 2005-08-08 12:40 PM

I was careful to ask good questions and you people helped tremendously! it was CAdreamer's words that finally got her to wake up.

Another key thing - can the guy admit he is wrong? Does he ever apologize if she calls him on something that's out of line? And is it sincere? In my relationship, my ex would never admit to any kind of fault. About anything. He was never the one who had made a mistake or done something wrong. It was always either (a) me, (b) someone else, (c) the job, or (d) the universe was against him.

That was my ex to a T. In our 10 years together, I never once heard a sincere apology. It was always my fault somehow. "You made me do it". Bull$hit! And if I never hear "You know how I am." again, it will still be too soon.

Yeah, I had friends left and right telling me to leave. But it took me many years to make up my own mind to do so.

Good for you Nancy for being there to help your friend when she needed you. I think that's the ultimate key as a friend of someone in this type of situation: just let them know that you'll always love them and always be there for them no matter what.

And good for you Shellee for taking control of your own life and getting out of that relationship (even if you still have to deal with him over your kids, he's not the boss of you anymore).
2005-08-08 5:27 PM
in reply to: #219690

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You know, this is all good and everything but unless you have had an abusive relationship - and here I mean you have BEEN in a LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP with either a VERBAL or a PHYSICAL abuser - then, I'm sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.  This type of situation is NOT the same as dealing with the car salesman, or the bad boss, etc. etc.  Sometimes you really do need more.  Someone telling you to lose the loser.  Someone telling you they will get you out of the situation, if that's what you need.  Okay, and maybe you didn't need that kind of support, and you did it all yourself, but that still doesn't remove the fact that other people might need more help to get themselves turned around.

I considered myself a strong person before this relationship happened to me - and I needed a lot of support to get out of it, and not just the "I will advise you if you ask me to, but I will not get you out of this situation - you must do that for yourself" type of advice.  If the people I was relying on for support had said something like that to me, I would have felt totally adrift and unable to cope.  I was so beaten down by this person, I don't even recognize who I was at that point in time.  I was never a wimp before, and I'm sure not a wimp now - and I'd never get into a situation like that again - but at that point in my life, I was a wimp and I needed all the help I could get.  I'm just glad that there were those in my life who were willing to give it to me.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » I need advice about the friend in the bad relationship Rss Feed  

of 2