General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting Back to Training & Tris after Heart Surgery Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-16 9:01 AM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Subject: Getting Back to Training & Tris after Heart Surgery
I had a mitral valve repair on Dec 27 - procedure was minimally invasive / robotic assisted. No complications. I feel great but not quite ready to hit the roads yet.

Anyone else out there get back to triathlons after this type of surgery, or similar? Would love to hear.

Thanks

2011-01-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3302500

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Getting Back to Training & Tris after Heart Surgery
Not tri's, but I was diving last winter with a guy who had open heart surgery just a few months earlier in the summer.  We were doing shore diving, which meant he was handling all his heavy equipment and then diving to depths of up to 80-100 feet (and he had gotten clearance from his docs to do so).  The only issue he had was on one of the first days of diving when he had a small waterprrof box with his things in it (like you use at the beach).  It turns out they will implode below 40 feet, and when it did, all he knew was he felt a "pop" and then had sharp pain on his chest, so he did an emergency ascent.  Apart from a new scar next to his "zipper", he was fine.

I would guess if your doctor clears you for aerobic activity (I would assume they would do a stress test to be sure), and you use a HRM to make sure you don't over-push early on, you should be able to resume training.
2011-01-16 2:00 PM

User image

I am curious, too, but I am pre-op.  I have severe mitral reguritation and Afib, and supposed to get fixed at Eastern Carolina soon.  I am hoping for minimally invasive repair (no repacement, no zipper).  I am currently on cardizem (for hearbeat) and warfarin / coumadin (Afib stroke risk).  I am still working out, though stamina / pace are definitely off.  Looking forward to getting back after surgery.  There isn't much I can find about traithlon after mitral valve fix.  Lots about mitral valve prolapse (if no regurgitation, it seems pretty benign).  I am 53 yr-old male, slender, clean arteries and no other health issues other than mild sleep apnea.  Where did you get your mitral valve repair done?

John

2011-01-16 2:30 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
I had MVP with severe regurg, severe left atrial enlargement, and moderate left ventricle enlargement. My Doctors concluded that I was not symptomatic because I had such a significant base in training and tris. But I certainly felt that my endurance was getting worse as the MVP got worse.

BTW I also had a modfied Maze procedure for A fib (while they were under the hood) as there was some concern I would have problems with Afib later in life. I think it added another 15 minutes to the overall procedure so I told the surgeon to go for it (Mayo Clinic in MN)

The minimally invasive robotic assisted procedure was a breeze in my case (so far). I woke up in ICU and no way felt like I had open heart surgery. I felt sore and "under the weather" but I was up and walking around within 24 hrs of the procedure.

Thats all well and good, but I would expect that getting back to a training reg will take some time. I have heard stories of people getting back to full marathons and HIM within 9 months, but then I've also heard people say it takes at least a year to get back to any pre-op level of conditioning.
2011-01-16 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I had aortic valve replacement surgery ten years ago at age 47, getting a St. Jude mechanical valve to replace my bicuspid aortic valve.  Had a sternotomy making me a lifetime member of the zipper club.  Was in the hospital for four days.  Did a lot of walking for a month or so and was back at the gym after about eight weeks doing light weights and the treadmill.  Although I felt "functional" after three months, it took me a full nine months to feel 100% again.

Prior to my surgery I had been a pretty hardcore weightlifter/bodybuilder.  Post-op, my cardiologist had me cut out my heavy lifting and instead focus on aerobic exercise.  That's what eventually led me to do my first triathlon three years later at age 50.

I had some enlargement of my left ventricle, but fortunately it reversed itself within eighteen months after getting my new valve.  My resting heart rate also dropped from the mid 70's to the high 40's within a couple of years.

Good luck.

Mark

2011-01-16 4:17 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
JohnP_NY - 2011-01-16 10:01 AM I had a mitral valve repair on Dec 27 - procedure was minimally invasive / robotic assisted. No complications. I feel great but not quite ready to hit the roads yet. Anyone else out there get back to triathlons after this type of surgery, or similar? Would love to hear. Thanks

Great that you are doing well, but be sure to openly talk about your exercise goals with your docs.  You don't want to set yourself back by doing too much too soon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting Back to Training & Tris after Heart Surgery Rss Feed