General Discussion Race Reports! » 2011 CSU-San Marcos Cougar Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2011 CSU-San Marcos Cougar Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
CSU San Marcos Triathlon Team
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 59m 57s
Overall Rank = 31/98
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am, drove the two hours to Fiesta Island, was at check-in at 5:30. Ate a big cookie and drank couple of coffees before leaving.

I racked the bike near bike-out, set up transition, and hung out.
Event warmup:

I ran about a mile before setting up transition. I swam about 200 yds before my gun.

The air temp seemed very cold. Like most people, I was shivering, even in a wetsuit. The water was a nice improvement.
Swim
  • 05m 10s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were only two waves, with all 30+ in the second wave. With such a short swim, expecting a drag race and an extra frenzied washing machine, I started wide/right, and stayed on the right side of the pack. At the gun, I dove in, and for the first time ever, knocked my goggles off and around my neck. I tossed them back on, and was still on the feet of the guy in front of me. There was a fairly fast sprint, and a lot of people looked like they lost their composure, doing all kinds of adrenaline-fueled strokes. I was about the only person in the wave to brave the cold water and swim a warm up, so you could see a lot of guys fight through the heart rate rush of ice water in the wetsuit.

After the buoy I found my stroke, and watched the front of the pack stretch away until I reeled a lot of it back in.

I'm really happy with my pace of 1:34/100yd, especially since it includes the run to T1. This is a huge improvement over last season. My split was 20s faster than the guy who won the ag, and 40s behind the guy who took second.

There was a long run to transition that felt slow as I fumbled for the wetsuit zipper.

What would you do differently?:

Remember to protect my goggles when I dive!
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

For me, this was an awful T1. I forgot to use enough Bodyglide, and the legs of the wetsuit stuck on my heels. My feet were cold and didn't go into the bike shoes easily. I gave up at least 15 seconds to my ag here, and at least 30 seconds over what I usually do.

Bodyglide!
Bike
  • 28m 12s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Good ride. I only recall getting passed by three people - college guys - early on, but steadily passed people over the rest of the four laps. After the first lap, I had a good feel for the corners and the swales. There is one bend on the way down the island where you can shift up and accelerate as you corner, and I used that opportunity to pass on a couple of laps.

One weird thing happened at the bottom of island - it felt like someone grabbed my seat post, or like a brake pad grabbed the rim. I came out of aero to look at my tires and anything else that would suck speed, but there weren't any problems. It must have been an odd gust or bad road surface.

I pushed hard the whole way and powered through the temptations to down-shift. The flying mount worked well, and I didn't lose any time at the dismount.

This ride was about as clean as I could have hoped.

My split was about a minute faster than the guy who won the ag, about 20 seconds faster than the guy who took second. We geezers went 13, 15 and 16 overall on the bike.

If I had ridden the course beforehand, I could have been a tad faster, but not much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

This was another frustrating transition. My feet were totally numb off the bike, and I had a really hard time wrestling on the running shoes. The time wasn't bad relative to the field, but I gave up 10 or 15 seconds to myself.

A little more practice pulling on shoes would have solved the problem.
Run
  • 23m 41s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy, were the feet cold! My feet usually thaw out before the half way point on a cold race morning, but not this time. Off the bike, I couldn't feel a thing, and it felt like I might have put my shoes on with socks wadded up inside.

This is where I lost my 50-54 AG - with a pace of 7:53/mi. The winner passed me about 1/3 of the way out, and I never reeled in the guy who beat me for 2nd. When the winner went flying by, dancing on air, I knew my chances for first in the ag were gone. I tried to match his pace on the way out, but he turned on the jets and ran a reverse split.

When a real runner blows by early in the race, it's over.

This is still definitely my area for improvement. I'd have needed to take 2:45 off my run to keep from getting Lieto'd at this one.

The run didn't feel too bad, and I felt like I had light feet and quick cadence, but I didn't cover the ground like I can at my pb pace.

Run a lot more!
Post race
Warm down:

I trotted a little bit to retrieve my flip flops from swim-start.

The three of us who finished at the top of the 50-54 ag joked, chatted and traded war stories. We were all stoked that we'd come in under one hour (me by 3 seconds!), and that we'd done so well in a drag race with such a young field. I'd trash talked the winner out on the run course, and we laughed about that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In terms of bang for the buck, I need to increase my training volume for the run. My swim and bike are probably close to my potential, but I know I can shave a few minutes off the run if I get my volume up to about 15 or 20 miles/week.

Event comments:

Especially for CSUSM's first race, this was excellent. You could tell from check in, on, that they had executed the basics very well.

Check in was quick and efficient, the course and transition area worked well, and the timing system was great. This was the first race I've been in that had live results on a screen near the finish. Splits are up within a day (though as of now, there's one error, the second wave is timed from the first gun).

There's room for improvement for subsequent years, but the first race set a high bar.

Minor complaints: participants didn't find out until the last minute that there would be awards for only two sets of groups (29 and under, 30+), or that the waves would be condensed from 4 to 2, with ad hoc start times.

Official results:
http://www.sbtiming.com/results/csusm_2011.txt
http://www.sbtiming.com/results/CSUSM_2011.HTM

Last updated: 2011-01-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:10 | 328 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/5
Overall: 0/98
Performance: Good
Suit: 19 Frequency
Course: L-shaped. Out a few yards, then left to the end of the cove.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:48.5
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:12 | 10 miles | 21.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 13/98
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Four counter-clockwise laps around the south island.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04.2
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:41.1 | 03 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 42/98
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on the north island
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-01-23 5:05 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: 2011 CSU-San Marcos Cougar Sprint Triathlon

2011-02-06 12:02 AM
in reply to: #3316717

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: 2011 CSU-San Marcos Cougar Sprint Triathlon
With the final results in, it looks like there was a DQ, so I moved up:

30/95 overall
12/95 bike
44/95 swim

That field was way fast in the water!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2011 CSU-San Marcos Cougar Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed