General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road fit and Tri fit and hip angles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-24 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: Road fit and Tri fit and hip angles
I recently got a professional road fit (have had a pro Tri fit for awhile).  I never rode my road bike after getting a tri bike because I was worried about the different positions and the different muscles they would train.  I came to question that based on reading some things here and from Jordan Rapp's blog about why Triathletes need a road bike.  (To sum that up, if you're ever out of aero, you'd be getting better training riding a road bike, because the hip angles are much more similar, and the difference in training on a properly fit road bike and tri bike is not as great as imagined).  Add to that my continued observation that while on the trainer this winter my RPE is higher to maintain the same watts when out of aero than when in aero.  It seemed to make sense that hip angle is what matters.

Ok - worked with my fitter, measured hip angle on my tri bike, and tried to recreate it on the road bike, using a proper road bike fit (it was pretty easy to do even though I ride on aggressive end of the general angle range he recommends).  We got my angles very close - about a degree off when in the hoods and the same in the drops, where we decided it would be best.  Jump on the trainer for a hard session.  My RPE in the hoods matches what I felt my RPE in aero was (and lower than my RPE out of aero).  So I believe it now - my muscles are tuned to that hip angle and I can (with very good crossover) train on my road bike or my tri bike.  Also after that fit, I am the most comfortable I've ever been on a road bike (never been properly fit before).  I'm so far very happy about this, I miss my roadie and I now plan to show her some more attention.

So - my reason for posting is for someone to tell me I'm an idiot one of two ways:

1) Duh! We've known that forever, this is old news.

2) You forgot XXXX so your conclusion isn't valid, and you not better off as you've described.

What is the collective BT thoughts on this?

2011-01-24 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3318321

User image

Veteran
Manalapan (Central New Jersey)
Subject: RE: Road fit and Tri fit and hip angles
"Jordan Rapp's blog about why Triathletes need a road bike."

--Do you actually have a link for this?  I'd like to find it and went to Rapp's blog but could not.

Thanks!

2011-01-24 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3318321

User image

Master
Baltimore
Subject: RE: Road fit and Tri fit and hip angles
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road fit and Tri fit and hip angles Rss Feed