General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-01-29 10:26 PM

Subject: Race day nutrition

I am trying to figure out a nutrition strategy for a marathon and a half ironman I have planned for this season.  I am TOTALLY clueless in this area, and I would like to start trying some things out during my longer training sessions to figure out what works best. Does anybody have any suggestion on what works, what doesn't work, and how you go about determining what works for you?

Thanks!

2011-01-30 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3329012

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Race day nutrition
For a marathon or half ironman, I can live off of liquid nutrition.  Usually just take in sports drink.  When i did my IM, I had to experiment all summer to find what worked well for me.  Ended up using a combination of eload and shot blocks on the bike and shotblocks and salt pills on the run.  At special needs on the bike, I also had a treat - baked cheetos and diet coke to kind of get rid of the sugar taste.  I tried all kinds of things last summer trying to figure out what worked best for me.  Different types of candy, sports beans (love but hard to eat on bumpy roads), different brands of sports drink, sandwiches, wraps, etc.  Finally settled on something that worked a few weeks before taper.  I found that for me, most things worked up to about 4 hours into a ride, and then they didn't sit well.  I think most people have less nutrition problems for half ironmans than full.

Get experimenting!

Edited by Daffodil 2011-01-30 9:37 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race day nutrition Rss Feed