General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you give anything up during Ironman training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-02-03 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: Do you give anything up during Ironman training?
My official 20-week Ironman training program kicks off next week, and I'm thinking of making a list of do's and don'ts -- kind of a Code of Conduct, if you will. Ah, that makes it sound too formal.

For instance, I will not visit the In-N-Out burger joint by my house until after June 26. I'm considering banning myself from French fries and white bread (rolls, pizza dough, etc.) for the next 4-plus months, too, in an effort to boost my weight-loss goals.

I'd also like to enforce a bed-by-midnight rule, so I can wake up in the morning and get my training done early. It seems when I mean to S/B/R in the afternoon/evening, something ALWAYS comes up at work or at home.

And, yes, I'm fully anticipating that I will be giving up a social life, family time and lots of money!

So, do you willfully sacrifice something during Ironman training?

Edited by mrwrite 2011-02-03 10:24 AM

2011-02-03 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3337209

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
Subject: RE: Do you give anything up during Ironman training?
I try and give up alcohol and soda. I always feel like the more I sacrifice the more satisfying the race is.
2011-02-03 10:50 AM

User image

Lowell, Massachusetts
Good Luck on your IM.

I agree on the morning workout thing, it's easy to make excuses in the afternoon. 

To me, the nice thing about IM training was being able to splurge on a burger if I wanted.  Or a beer.  As long as I was home by 8pm to go to bed...

All joking aside, nutrition is very important and you should pay attention to what you're putting in your body.  But if you're in the middle of your training plan and need a Double Double and some Animal fries, go for it. 

My longest ride was supposed to be 6 hours, but a headwind put it closer to 7.  I was so tired of gels and packaged junk that I pulled into a McDonalds and crushed a double Quarter Pounder.  Not exactly good for you, but, man, that was the best burger ever...

No need to give up your social life, family life, or too much money.  If you do that, you're going to have a lot of relationship building to do after the race.  The key is being organized.  You need to throw out the things you're doing that aren't associated with your family or your training.  Watching TV-Out. Surfing the Interwebs-Out, etc etc etc.  Of course you'll have to cut short some socializing and family time, but it's doable to balance it all.  I balanced my full time job, taught three classes at the tech school, trained for an IM, and still renovated a kitchen and spent time with the wife and friends.

Good luck,

Eric
2011-02-03 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Sleep and pizza.
2011-02-03 11:24 AM
in reply to: #3337300

Veteran
In the past, I've cut out fried foods, sweets/candy, alcohol and caffeine for the last 3 weeks of training.  More to avoid stomach issues than about maximum training benefit.

However, this year I think I need to extend that timeframe to my full training, right now - 16 weeks until raceday.  Except for caffeine of course, that's a must.  But soda (diet) should go...

Can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into this?
2011-02-03 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
My 30 week plan started this past Monday and I'm trying to do the no sweets/no soda thing.  Its going to be hard.

2011-02-03 11:55 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I wouldn't say I intentionally gave anything up. I mean, if anything I felt the need to reward myself even MORE for being such a good little triathlete

But simply as a by-product of the long training hours, I found myself not willing to go out/stay out late on weekends, or drink too much since I was getting up so early on Saturdays and Sundays. I still tried to remain social, but there was a definite shift when the heavy training weeks started.

It helped a lot to hang out with my training friends outside of training, as they seemed to understand 100% more where I was coming from. Yeah let's go to dinner and have some fun, but only have 1 margarita instead of 6 since we are all meeting at 6 a.m. for an OWS. That kind of thing.
2011-02-03 12:01 PM

User image

I have no life anyway so I didn't give much up

2011-02-03 12:13 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

I'd change my goal to "in bed by 10 pm".  You will need 8 hours of sleep a night.

2011-02-03 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Last year, as part of my first, I followed everything by the book. As a result, I noticed that my social life was destroyed, and that I had no life outside of work/training. By the end of the 5-months of training, I was in crazy need for some good times.

For me, this time around for CdA, I am not exactly giving up anything, but re-prioritizing things. For my training to be successful, I need a social/mental break from the Ironman grind, and I intend to take it this time. Just because I have to get up for an 80-miler on Saturday morning does not mean I can't go out to a bar the night before. Hungover rides are not nearly as bad as one would think

You say June 26, so I assume Ironman CdA (I'm in for that one too)!
2011-02-03 12:53 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Me?  Nope (but I'm not contending for a Kona slot or anything either). 

I didn't worry too much what I ate during IM training.  If I wanted to stop for a burger and fries, I would (but it wasn't often).  I don't know how I'd get up and get an "early" workout in if I was still up at midnight. 

Social life and family time?  The family was supportive, especially since they knew the purpose of the 2-week road trip was the race, and I'd be cranky if it didn't go well. 

Unless you've already done something equivalent to cutting out white flour, Ironman training might not be the best time to try.  You're going to need a lot of calories.  High-quality calories are preferred, but too few high-quality calories and your training will really suffer.  It'll be hard to get it right with the simultaneous ramp-up in volume (and need for replacement calories) with the transition to "clean eating." 

2011-02-03 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Training for my first (couple of years ago), I gave up pretty much all other forms of entertainment.

That became a habit, and now I don't miss them.  Apart from stuff I do with my family, training and posting here are pretty much my only forms of regular entertainment, and I like it that way.

Food:  I don't think in terms of giving things up.  I just try to eat healthy food most of the time.
2011-02-03 1:17 PM

New user
I, like others, haven't intentionally given anything up.  But, I have found that I'm more aware of my schedule, try not to stay out late on Friday and Saturdays, and I've found certain splurges are not good the night before long work out mornings.  I am more aware of what I eat and when I eat it, but nothing is forbiden.  As for social time, friends and family tend to get more quality time and less quanity. 
2011-02-03 1:27 PM

User image

Expert
I went into training with the thought that I would give up cokes at some point.  I don't drink a lot anyway, but have given them up before for marathon training and felt better, so I figured I'd do the same for IM.  That thought pretty much turned opposite and I drank more during IM training than normal.  Most of my high volume stuff was during the hot Texas summer and early fall (I did Florida) and there is nothing better to me after a long hot ride or run than an ice cold coke!

I paid very close attention to what I ate and when I ate it.  I did stay away from certain foods the night before the long weekend workouts (found out real quick Mexican food the night before a long run does not work for me), but like others, nothing was off limits.

2011-02-03 3:55 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Family time.
Junk food.
2011-02-03 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3337978

Master
, California
Watching TV-Out.

TV definitely falls into the "junk" hours category, but if you spend a lot of time on the indoor trainer you can combine it with TV.

Instead of TV though, I actually started reading my Kindle while I'm on the trainer.  It sits nicely on my bars.  There are no pages to get blown around by the fan, and it really forces you to pedal smoothly while you're doing intervals, otherwise you can't keep your eyes on the text

2011-02-04 1:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Thanks everyone. Fun and interesting responses. One thing: I'm a sports writer so I often don't get home or back to the hotel until around midnight or so after basketball games. That's why I might set midnight as the sleepy-sleepy goal.
2011-02-04 5:56 AM

Veteran
Boston
I'm considering giving up / severely cutting caffeine...not sure if that's the best idea though...!
2011-02-04 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Bed at midnight? Good luck with that.
Most nights I barely made it to 9 before falling asleep on the couch. But I also get up around 4-4:30 to start my first workout of the day.

I had to lower my housekeeping standards during IM training.

Once you get used to the training and lifestyle it will be easier to incorporate IM training into your real life. Basically it boils down to priorities and balance. I was probably too rigid in "I'm training for an Ironman" approach the first time. Looking back it now seems funny now all of the things that I gave up or changed for training for the IM.
The race is ONE day of your life. The journey to the race (IMO) is what it is all about. Enjoy your journey with your family and friends.
Make the training fit your life not the other way around.
My priority for my second IM was to put family first. Now I'm glad that I was able to make that happen. Nine days before IMFL, I broke my toe and ended up having surgery. Yes, I was disappointed that I wasn't able to race that day. But the journey was so much more enjoyable the second time that it didn't seem to matter as much. If I'd sacrificed my relationship with my husband, kids and family for the IM then it would have been more upsetting to miss race day.

Enjoy your journey!

Edited by Catwoman 2011-02-04 7:11 AM
2011-02-04 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
My soul, and family time (not all of it, but a LOT). I don't have a life outside of training, so giving up a social life was moot.

1. One important tip is to NOT give up all of your family time. Build family time in, and factor it into your training even if you have it semi-scheduled. I can only presume you are married, and if so, your pursuit for iron will need a supportive spouse by your side. If you dump on that early, then the support will not be there when you need it most (e.g. at your peak, and when you have to devote the most time towards training). Definitely keep on top of family time.

2. Good luck with the bed-by-midnight goal. You will need sleep/rest, and hitting the sack at midnight is not going to provide you with the needed amount. IMHO, when you hit the training hard, that will sort itself out since you will start crashing.

3. Get your sessions in early (espcially for the long bike/long runs), unless you a special type person who can FORCE yourself out the door in the afternoons. Too many things can pop up during the day to throw your schedule off. I tend to think of myself as one of those odd people that can force to do sessions is the afternoon/evening; however, there are days that even I am tested. Get them done, and get them done early. Doing so will allow you to get your family time in (see number 1 again).

4. Be mindful about your nutrition and what you put into your body, but during the hight of your training if you want to nail a burger, fries, etc. do it. Other thing such as alcohol will naturally limit themselves, since you will need sleep and early sessions call early on the weekends.

Other than that, go forth and crush the training! Good Luck!
2011-02-04 10:04 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I cracked down on the nutrition, because I had TERRIBLE nutrition before.

Here were my rules:
1 dessert earned per workout
Dessert must be consumed between 2 and 8 p.m. (I found if I eat anything sweet in the morning, I don't eat healthy for lunch, and if I eat garbage after the kids are in bed, all bets are off.)
No fast food (Burger/fries stuff)
Alcohol only on race day or at parties. On race days and parties, all other rules were suspended, as well.

After doing my race, I relaxed the rules, but I find I still have healthier habits as a result of eating that way for months. 

2011-02-04 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Great question, I think there are things that intentionally are given up just because of time constraints.

However, rather than focus on what I can't do, I tend to focus more on being purposeful about my time and energy.

I focus on being more helpful and positive with my family. I focus on getting the sleep I need. I enjoy food. I also try to get workouts in at the first available time just because things seem to come up later in the day.

I don't think training needs to take you into the monastery of deprivation. You are already asking a lot of yourself in terms of discipline and energy, why make things harder?
2011-02-05 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
My first IM last year I commited to getting to bed at a reasonable hour (9-10pm) on workdays. I thought I would cut out alcohol but we bought a boat and it almost the opposite. Let's just say I used alochol as my pre-fuel carb of choice for my long bike rides. I also prioritized my workouts w/ my work schedule and if I missed a workout I didn't freak out about it. Def there were things on the back burner- house work, laundry, and I had to sometimes choose b/w a family event or training.
2011-02-06 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
This is my 6th year of IM training, and my IMs this year will be #8 and #9.  So this has become a fairly permanent lifestyle change for me.

I give up a lot of mindless TV watching.  I used to turned on the TV, flipped through until I found some movie I liked, and watched it.  I bet I did 8-12 hours of that a week, often late night when I should have gone to bed.  Now my TV watching is confined to a set of Tivo Season Passes I watch with my family, or I'll watch on the trainer / treadmill.  And I don't watch Airplane for the 3rd time this year, or things like that.

I gave up recreational reading for a number of years, but last year I decided I wanted that back so made a real effort to do so.  Now I read quite regularly.  My Kindle rocks!  I can read it on the trainer and on the treadmill.

My alcohol consumption has gone up and down over the years.  I do make an effort to not overindulge because when I do, I can't really train properly the next morning and I'm trying to do most training in the morning.

I gave up on poor food choices, but I still struggle.  Lunch is the worst time for me.  Either I bring something from home my lovely wife makes for me, or I buy something at the cafeteria.  Often I'm in a rush and the lines are long and I gravitate toward the "grab and go" food like a big slice of pizza.  It's awful for me, and I have to fight that every day.  My best solution is to push my lunch time toward after 1pm, when the cafeteria lines are short.  But still then I'm waiting for them to make me a sandwich or what not, and man do they seem slow.
2011-02-16 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I think your goal of losing 15 pounds a month is probably too much.  I wouldn't expect to lose more than half that a month and remain healthy.  In bed by midnight...wow, ya I would call it 9-10 pm, especially if you are going to get to the masters swim class at 5am.  If you give up everything that tastes good, bread, pizza, burgers, etc... you will likely not like your training or lifestyle. 

Balance is really the thing to be aimed at.  If I swim at 5:30am and run durring lunch, run to church on Sunday mornings, that only leaves 1 workout per day after work, allowing for some family time. 

You do give up a lot of time, but we typically waste a lot of time.  I want to drop a few pounds 10 ish, so ya giving up chocolate and some of the other adictive foods is a good plan, but most of my diet is unchanged.  You will give up a lot of $$.   

Edited by Baowolf 2011-02-16 11:44 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you give anything up during Ironman training? Rss Feed  

of 2