United States
Set-up Inc
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 58m 24s
Overall Rank = 350/431
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 26/26
Pre-race routine:

I got up, with my gf, at 3:55. We got the car, packed it, toasted bagels, and were on the road by 4:39. We arrived just after 6:00, got our numbers, and were set up and ready for the 6:45 meeting. Looking back, I didn't eat or drink nearly enough. I had about a pint of water, a bagel, and a Gu right before the start.
Event warmup:

I did some swimming in the water to get warmed up. While waiting around for the start, I stretched out my arms, shoulders and hamstrings.
Swim
  • 23m 16s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was rough. The swim killed me for the rest of the race. I panicked after rounding the first buoy and spent tons of time and energy trying to find my way, while trying to avoid the faster swimmers. About halfway through the swim, some guy hit my face and knocked my goggles out of alignment. I never got them back in place correctly, so I had water in my eyes for the rest of the swim. My form was bad, and completing that swim may have been one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. Looking back, my poor performance in the rest of the race was directly affected by my poor swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more. I only learned how to swim properly five weeks ago. I don't have the form or the stamina to compete well in the swim. I would also make sure to eat more both before and after the swim.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

I was thrashed after the swim, so I tried to take my time in order to get my breath back. The kicker of it was that we had to run, with our bikes, UP A HILL after transition.

I would have made sure to eat something or take a gel.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 49s
  • 17 miles
  • 16.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I had nothing in the tank. By mile 5, I was just praying to finish. Somehow, with the help of gravity on the downhills, I was able to keep going, even at that slow pace. I never stopped, but I thought about it a lot. I was miserable. My legs were on fire, I had no breath, and my back hurt. I was so disappointed with how that went.

I needed to drink more and to do it on a regular basis. I only drank when I thought I had a chance to. That was a mistake. I also needed to eat the gel that was in my pocket, but I forgot about it.
Transition 2
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

I tried to take my time so that I could get my breath. I drank some water, changed socks, and hoped that I could muster enough energy to finish. I was slow, but I needed to be.

If I had felt better getting off the bike, I probably could have done this transition in 2 minutes. But, as it was, I did what I could.
Run
  • 28m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

The first two miles, I could barely run them. But I tried to keep moving and walked when I needed to. I felt awful, but I was determined to finish and I was determined to finish the race in under two hours. At the last mile marker, I looked at my watch and saw that I did the first two miles in 22 minutes. I realized that 11 minutes miles weren't going to get it done. So, I slowly made my way up the last hill, got to a flat and increased my speed. By the time I hit the last downhill, I was going double time. By the time I hit the turn for the last 200 yards to the finish line, I was sprinting. I did that last mile in just over 6 minutes, and reached my goal of finishing in under two hours.

I'd find a way to have more energy for the run. I'm a good runner, but I had little left in the tank. As it ended up, that effort in the last mile made my run semi respectable, considering how the rest of the race went.
Post race
Warm down:

I stumbled to the food tent, got some water, an orange, some cyclomax, and a mellow yellow. Then I leaned against the fence and tried not to fall over.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Food and water. My nutrition was totally inadequate. I need a better plan for the next race.

Event comments:

I liked the race and I'm glad I did it. I know that I shouldn't be too hard on myself because this was my first race and I only trained for five weeks. But ultimately, I can't help but be a little disappointed. So, next race, I'll just have to do better.

The important thing to note here is that there WILL be a next race.

Last updated: 2005-08-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:16 | 820 yards | 02m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/26
Overall: 418/431
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri top and bottoms
Course: We basically swam in a square around a lake. It was foggy, so spotting the buoys was a problem, especially early on.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:49 | 17 miles | 16.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/26
Overall: 270/431
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was rolling. There were no killer hills, but there were plenty of small hills and false flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m  min/mile
Age Group: 25/26
Overall: 304/431
Performance: Average
Course: It was a hilly, off-road course...mostly. It looped in and around the race area, with two turnarounds.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-10 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, MA
Subject: Culpeper Sprint

2005-08-10 10:59 AM
in reply to: #221546

User image

Pro
Reston
Subject: RE: Culpeper Sprint

Dude, you 1) finished 2) accomplished your goals and 3) have already told yourself that there will be more races.  That's a lot to say.  Congratulations.  With a little bit better preparation next time, you'll be well on your way to having a smoother race without having to worry about "just finishing."

GREAT JOB!

2005-08-10 11:02 AM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Great report. That swim was indeed brutal. It hurt my time pretty badly too. Way to suck it up and take care of business though.
2005-08-10 11:57 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Way to suck it up and finish. Your first tris (well all) are learning experiences. You will now know that you can push through and finish. A great leason to learn. Hitting your goals with only 5 weeks training is great. Congratulations.

Ernie
2005-08-12 5:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, MA
Thanks folks. I appreciate the comments and I've really appreciated all the support from the people on this forum.

That race seems so far away now. Why, you ask? Because I'm packing my life up, and moving back to New England. Ugh...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Culpeper Sprint Rss Feed