General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newb Swimmer: Can't Seem to Slow-down Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-09 11:48 AM

User image

Subject: Newb Swimmer: Can't Seem to Slow-down
Hi Everyone:

Last time I swam was back in my 20s. I'm now in my 40s and trying hard to get back in shape and re-learn how to swim again.  I'm training for a Sprint Tri in May and have been hitting the pool according to my training plan.  'been doing lots of kick, stroke and catch drills as well.  I've been telling myself to be patient, do the 1-3-5 breathing drills and hit the pool as often as I can.  I've also been glued to YouTube looking for/at the different techniques on how to build an efficient swimming technique. 

One thing I've been challenged with for the past couple of months, however, is how to tell my mind/body to slow-the-heck down.  Because of this, I think my swim RPE is off the roof but my laps performance is mediocre at best.  I'd be lucky to complete a 50-yrd swim non-stop.  Just seems like I'm fighting the water with brute force and so out-of-breath by the time I touch the wall.

This said, I'd really appreciate any advice from you all on how I can slow down to keep a good rhythm going; without sinking and/or running out of breath after a few laps.  I think once I get this right, I'd be able to go longer (beyond 50yds without stopping).

Thanks a bunch,

H. Hanzo

Edited by hattorihanzo 2011-02-09 11:50 AM

2011-02-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3347066

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: RE: Newb Swimmer: Can't Seem to Slow-down
I've been in the same boat. Something that has helped me is to focus on kicking less and gliding more. Drills with a pull buoy might help.
2011-02-09 11:58 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
First, I would suggest easing into it... get a "feel" for the water before you start trying to grind through sets.

If you aren't able to float without sinking (and without using a strong kick keeping you from sinking) you haven't found your 'balance' yet.

2011-02-09 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3347087

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Take a lesson.  Just one.  Maybe two.  You cannot imagine how valuable this can be.
2011-02-09 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Learn to hold your breath for 3 minutes at a time.  Then you wont panic.  When you stop panicking, you will stop flailing.  When you no longer flail and fight the water you will be able to slow down.

Or alternatively, you could just relax.  The pool does not want to eat you.

Remember, you are trying to swim. Not run across the top of the water.

-eric 
2011-02-09 12:14 PM

Veteran
Austin, TX
A couple of one on one lessons might straighten some simple flaws out and make a massive difference. You might just try some drills where you practice floating down the lane, no arms, just kick, and practice floating flat. You may need to bring your head down in the water to do it.  You can check the swim article in my sig for more tips from a swim coach and other triathletes.

2011-02-09 12:25 PM

User image

Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!

I guess the mental aspect of it is that if I don't kick hard enough or catch/pull the water quick enough, I'll end up sinking/swallowing water -- which then gets the body into panic mode.  'just gotta get the laws of physics to work with the mind.

BTW, I've requested for a private 1:1 coaching this AM at my local wellness club...  Let's see how this one goes...

In the meantime, please keep those good ideas coming... 

You guys/gals are super!  Thanks for helping out a newcomer.

H. Hanzo 

Edited by hattorihanzo 2011-02-09 12:29 PM
2011-02-09 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Kicking is overrated. I have no kick to speak of.  I keep my legs moving, but I don't think they are contributing much other than rotation and balance.

Look up TI swimming. (Total Immersion.)  Push your head down and it will bring your legs up.

But the point I was trying to make was stop letting the water scare you and find a way to relax.  You can't float or swim of you are all tense.  Let the water hold you up, stop fighting it.

-eric 
2011-02-09 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3347129

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
jackmott - 2011-02-09 11:14 AM

A couple of one on one lessons might straighten some simple flaws out and make a massive difference. You might just try some drills where you practice floating down the lane, no arms, just kick, and practice floating flat. You may need to bring your head down in the water to do it.  You can check the swim article in my sig for more tips from a swim coach and other triathletes.

Nice article. I loved this quote:

That said, practicing the wrong thing won't help you as much as practicing the right thing. "Most non-swimmers try too hard," James says. "They try to do things that the water would do for them for free." The first thing he works to make beginning swimmers understand is that their speed, or lack of, is not a fitness problem. And he asks them to take what they know and throw it out the window. Learning to swim - the right way - is learning a completely new skill. The good thing is, getting a handle on a brand new skill is much faster than fine-tuning an old one, or so says James.

James often breaks it down to the simplest element, and then goes from there. "Swimming is floating faster," is his mantra.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newb Swimmer: Can't Seem to Slow-down Rss Feed