Tour de Palm Springs
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 25m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Just cruised downtown from Mesquite. Got to the start line about 6:40. Was the bike club there as planned? No! They somehow got swallowed up by the other 10,000 riders.
Bike
  • 5h 13m
  • 102 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Total fun! I kept a good group ride effort, and kept the calories coming with extra Gatorade powder, and a little bit of stuff from the sag stops. I avoided the problem at Poway of over-drinking. I did sort of hit the wall at about mile 95, but so did everyone else I was with.

I rode nearly all of the century with solid riders. Out on the Dillon Rd. rollers, a group of guys from Idaho (wearing George's kits) were like machines. I usually drop A riders out there on the aerobars, but these guy were strong and fast, they kept reeling me back in whenever the road pitched up. The Idaho guys were really impressive, they took solid pulls side by side in pairs, and peeled off to the right and left. I managed one good pull with them, then got dropped a few minutes later. The pack opened a 1/4 mile gap, but me and a young Cervelo roady worked our butts off to reel them back in, with the strays from the pack in our draft. It was hard and awesome, pavement jiggle, salt and snot, just like body surfing your first big wave. We re-connected a bit before the truck stop at I-10.

I pretty much blew through the sags, so left the Idaho guys, and solo TT'd until I grabbed the wheel of a tandem, and not too much later, grabbed onto the huge group from Team Redlands when they went by. These guys were fit, and it was only by luck that I finished with them - they lost a few seconds when they missed a turn, hit a couple of lights wrong, and stopped for a flat.

One of the most entertaining things about the TdPS is the five loops funnel together onto the final few miles of the routes. It was a carnival atmosphere with the fast 100 mi cyclists gliding by a river of riders. There was every kind of cycle, including some with infants and dogs. The funnest one was a recumbent with sort of a poodle in the basket behind the rider's head. Another one had a pair of little dogs contentedly side by side in a handle bar basket.

Good, hard ride. Probably a pb in a century, but I know I can break 5 hours if I treat them seriously.
Post race
Event comments:

This is sort of a Woodstock event, and the weather always seems to be great. There are live bands seemingly everywhere - at sags and the start/finish. The sags are better-stocked than any I've seen.

The announcer said they had 10,000 people this year, and the town had an extra-great vibe with all those cyclists.

Last updated: 2011-01-09 12:00 AM
Biking
05:13:00 | 102 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
5:25 including a couple of brief sag stops and the stop lights. 5:13 rolling.
Wind: Little
Course: mild grade up to Desert Hot springs, rollers on Dillon Rd, fast and flat back though the towns.
Road:   Cadence: 95
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-02-12 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: Tour de Palm Springs
Oh! I forgot one of the most memorable moments. Shortly after hitting Desert Hot Springs, I passed a huge forest of Colnago carbon, the matching TT bikes from the Nytro women's tri team as they regrouped. I almost fainted! Prettiest TT bike ever, and great looking riders.

Edited by Pacific John 2011-02-12 6:50 PM

2011-02-13 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3352212

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Tour de Palm Springs
Nice job dude...you killed it out there.   I think if we gotten started towards the front we would have had a way lower time than we did.   Oh well....it was a great experience.
2011-02-13 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3353372

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Thanks! Going out early was key. All of those people going up Indian Canyon before the horn still made the way out of town like LA rush hour, and that first sag stop that straddled the road was a zoo. I can't imagine what it was like 10 minutes later.

One thing you might have caught was Bill Bell speaking just before the start. He's a local legend, and a hell of a nice guy. 88 y/o, with something like 250 tris, and was on two Race Across America relay teams. He didn't start to run marathons or do IMs until he was in his 50s.
2011-02-15 8:51 PM
in reply to: #3352212

User image

Master
Santa Clarita
Sounds like a fun ride , got to meet Bill at a local tri (malibu i think) and he is an inspiration.
2011-02-16 12:53 AM
in reply to: #3357074

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Isn't he? I've seen Bill a few times, and always leave wanting more. He's as entertaining as he is experienced, which is saying a lot.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Palm Springs Rss Feed