View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Beatrice, Nebraska
United States
Total Time = 29m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 7/
Pre-race routine:

Changed clothes and stood around. Basically.
Run
  • 29m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran with my dog. This was my first 5K, even though I've run 2 marathons and lots of other races...I had just never done an official 5K before!

I am not sure how many people were running, maybe like 60 or so? Anyway I started at the back of the pack because Penny was getting nervous being so close to so many people. She LOVES people and I think she was honestly about to explode with having so many people around that she was not allowed to interact with!

After the race started I started passing people. I wasn't planning on being one of the best runners or anything, I mean let's face it, I'm pretty slow as a general rule. But as I was passing I realized a lot of people were just going slow. Maybe they were just doing it more for fun than for anything else, I don't know.

Saw my 11-year-old foster son, D, when he turned around at the 1/2 mile mark (he was running the 1 mile). He was a few steps behind the first place runner! That was pretty cool.

When I got closer to the turn-around for the 5K I started watching for women...and the ones that I saw were not that far ahead of me. I actually thought the first place woman was only maybe 20-30 seconds ahead of me! I decided well...what the heck, maybe I could podium at this race!

So I started to dig deeper. One by one, I picked off all of the women ahead of me. As we rounded the home stretch I was pretty sure I was in the first place for women. I was feeling pretty good - I mean really, I've never won anything except age group awards. If I could be the first woman overall, that would pretty much make my year!

With probably .2 or .3 miles left I looked at my watch and I was at 24 or 25 minutes. I was going way faster than I had planned on. Then suddenly, Penny stopped. To take a poop. In the middle of the race. DANG IT. I tried to encourage her forward, and she wasn't having it. Girl had to go!

One by one, I watched all of the women I had passed pass me back, as I was waiting for my dog to get done. She took several minutes to poop. I did manage to pass back one of the women that passed me while I was waiting, but I ended up I think 7th overall for women. I did find out there was one woman ahead of me at something like 21 minutes, but if I could have kept my place I would have gotten second overall!

I am pretty disappointed. I mean I'm over it now, and I think I got less than 30 minutes (but not 100% sure). I feel pretty robbed and I REALLY want to get my revenge on the 5K!!!
What would you do differently?:

Not bring my dog. :)
Post race
Warm down:

Ate pizza, felt sorry for myself for a few minutes, and hung out with the kids and my husband. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My dog! Duh!

Event comments:

Good race for the first one! It was pretty much what you would expect for a small race - but I would do it again next year! :)

Last updated: 2011-02-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:55 | 03.11 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Most of it was snowy and slushy. And kinda slippery.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-02-12 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Healthy Hearts Run

2011-02-12 10:16 PM
in reply to: #3352381

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: Healthy Hearts Run
Sorry you had such a poopy race =)

Guess that means I'm still the family champ in the 5k distance!!
2011-02-12 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3352394

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Healthy Hearts Run
Bripod - 2011-02-12 10:16 PM

Sorry you had such a poopy race =)

Guess that means I'm still the family champ in the 5k distance!!

Not for long! =)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Healthy Hearts Run Rss Feed