General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half-IM after first marathon? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-15 10:49 PM

Subject: Half-IM after first marathon?

At the risk of ending up as a post in the Valentine's M-dot tattoo forum below I could use some advice. . .

I'm signed up up for Grandma's Marathon in June, which will be my first marathon ever.  I've been eyeing the Racine HIM 4 weeks later for a while too, but I'm scared to commit because as I'm in my mid 30's with kids and a  MOP'er in most of my Oly's and sprints, I don't  know how long recovery will take.  I also know that running will take up 90% percent of my training time prior to the marathon, and I wonder about gearing up for the HIM in under a month.

My strength is the swim, but I'm just not sure about the bike/run.  Have any of you beginners done anything like this when you've moved up distances?

Sorry this is such a vague question, but I'm really struggling with how to focus my limited training time this year.

JB

2011-02-16 2:16 AM
in reply to: #3357199

User image

Veteran
Avon, Indiana
Subject: RE: Half-IM after first marathon?
In 1995 did a full IM (greater floridan) and then 1 month later did a full mary (columbus).  I can tell you that I was totally burnt out after the Marathon and basically took the next 15 years off.  I'm not saying you can't do what you are trying to do...just that it will probably be tougher mentally than anything else (IMHO).
2011-02-16 6:34 AM

User image

My beginner perspective - I was a marathoner until 2010 when I started doing tris.  I did my first HIM in September '10.  I found the HIM training to be very bike-heavy.  I was doing 50 to 60 mile bike rides every weekend for at least 2 months.  My interpretation was that the goal was to make the bike relatively easy so you have something left for the run.  Most weeks I did my long run on Sat and long ride on Sun.  Every once in awhile I had to switch them around, and I found the long run after a long ride MUCH harder.  But then I had just started cycling that spring.  Honestly, I went into the HIM feeling undertrained on the bike.  I still managed to do it in 3 hours, and eked out a 2 hr run, but I could have run faster had I trained more on the bike.   My point?  Yes, you'll be in great shape from marathon training, but I'm not sure 4 weeks is enough to get ready on the bike.  And you should take at least a week to recover from your marathon (since it's your first, you'll have to just see how you feel - you may even need longer).  You'll have to do some long rides during your marathon training.  I was cycling 4x a week with my plan.  That will be difficult when you're putting in the serious mileage in the last few months of your marathon training.  I also tried doing a marathon 2 months after my HIM - but I ended up bumping up the mileage too quickly and ended up injured.
2011-02-16 7:58 AM

Thanks so much guys,

I really want to do that HIM, but I think your right--I don't want to end up injured or worse burnt out. Thanks again for the insight.

JB
2011-02-16 8:18 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

I would not do it. With 90% of you effort on the marathon, I worry that you biking will not be up to snuff for the half iron. Why not wait until you can fully prepare for your first half iron? You may be able to finish, but you could be setting yourself up for a real sufferfest. You will "enjoy" your first half iron race much more if you have adequate preparation.

2011-02-16 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax
I think you're smart to hold off on the HIM.  I did my first marathon in late 2009 and did my first HIM in June 2010 and I was absolutely toast after my first marathon.  I could barely walk for about 4 days, let alone trying to get on the bike to train again.  I believe full recovery is anywhere from 2-4 weeks after a marathon that you really "race," but that's just from my limited experience.

If you've got your eyes set on a HIM, as a beginner I'd say look later on in the season to where you can properly train the bike.  I peaked at a 70+ mile ride 3 weeks before my first HIM so just keep that in mind when looking at your training schedules.  Look at external factors too, for my first marathon was right in the middle of football season and wedding season, so it made it difficult to manage the long runs on the weekends.

2011-02-16 12:56 PM

Thanks,

I may look at an olympic race later in the season, now that I'll be focusing on the marathon, I suppose I need to find another excuse for why I'm so slow.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half-IM after first marathon? Rss Feed