General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One Hit Wonder-don't want to be that ! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-20 8:13 AM

Center Moriches
Subject: One Hit Wonder-don't want to be that !
Well, my confession  in print(ouch) . I did my first tri last August - I trained hard IMO Smile .  I really have the greatest husband -encouraged -never complained-When that  race was done what happened ? I stopped .
 So, here I am @ square one and it is now February. I'm posting this to see if anyone has ever done this.  Getting started isn't easy. I'm looking for a little encouragement.  No  injuries here-just the same tired back and knees .
Thanks for listening- I needed a sounding board  (whew),
Dawn

2011-02-20 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3363796

User image

Subject: RE: One Hit Wonder-don't want to be that !
You've already stuck your toe in the water, now it's time to wade in deeper. February is a hard time to be motivated, but take baby steps if you're interested in racing again. Having a partner to train with helps,i don't since my schedule is crazy, but I have a coach which can be just as motivating. That said, I've had a bad year already so won't be racing as much or probably training as hard, so I kind of 'get it'.Do what you can, but make sure you're having fun, There's nothing less motivating than feeling like you are forcing yourself to do this. Good luck!
2011-02-20 8:19 PM

User image

Elite
You are not alone, most people whether age groupers or pros in many sports not just triathlon have stopped for periods of time for varying reasons. So dont sweat it...just get started again slowly and you will find that even though it has been several months you will probably regain your fitness faster than you did getting ready for that tri last august.....I agree that if you have difficulty getting modivated on your own get a coach or join a group....but seriously you are probably doing more than most people...good luck.....if I have to and I see you on the streets of CM I will yell at you to get you motivated lol

Edited by FELTGood 2011-02-20 8:20 PM
2011-02-21 4:59 PM

Center Moriches
Thank you  to both of you  ! Much appreciate  your insight and encouragement.  Smile LOL -ty FELT.

Edited by Ddaniels 2011-02-21 5:00 PM
2011-02-26 7:28 AM

User image

Regular
Albany, NY
Just start slow and take it easy to avoid injuries.  I haven't stopped my training for any extended period of time, but I currently have a stress fracture so I've had to find other methods of "running".  Do what you can to get your body used to the stresses of the upcoming spring.  And like was already mentioned, keep it fun and light so you stick with it...it's still relatively early so you have plenty of time to get your fitness back - and you will have an easier time now than you did last year.  Little bit of swimming, little biking, little running, some weights...and try some aqua jogging to keep your joints and bones healthy as you're increasing mileage...

Best of luck
2011-02-26 4:35 PM

Center Moriches
TY -great advice  evry1

2011-02-27 12:24 PM

Holtsville, Long Island
Pick a day and start.  Make training a lifestyle not just something you do to complete any particular race.  Don't do this to cross things off a "bucket list."  Train because you love to train and don't do it for anyone but yourself.  If you miss a few workouts, don't beat yourself up--this isn't a sprint it's a long term investment in you well being, both mentally and physically.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » One Hit Wonder-don't want to be that ! Rss Feed