View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington City, Utah
United States
Total Time = 2h 18m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 6 had breakfast. Waiting till 7 and off to the race site, which was 10 minutes away. Got there early as I forgot what time the race started (9:00).

I arrived and it was raining and a little windy.
Event warmup:

Half hour before race time. I got my garmin started - set it to take 1 mile splits, took my pre-race roctane gel, used the PP and I was ready to go.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

With the course change & rainy weather my hope was for a 2:15 or the PR went out the door. I told myself a 2:30 would be good. My plan was start under 11:00 mile and get into a groove. Since I had set my garmin to take my mile splits, I decided to not look at my split as I just wanted to run. We started with rain and wind that felt like it was coming from every direction.
Mile 1-3 was uneventful expect at mile 2 my shoe lace came undone. It made it hard to retied it as I had my gloves on but I got it done and I was off again. This area was a out back to make up the extra mile.
Mile 3-4 We got on back on the main road it was a nice gradual down hill and I was in a nice groove. About 4.5 mile my shoe lace came undone. WTF! Got alittle upset about it, retied and I was off again.
Mile 4.5-5 was up hill and I just kept running and kept my breathing in control. I took in a some gu and water. I took a right on Washington Field Rd, which was another gradual up hill. This is where I look at my watch for the first time to see how far I had run. It showed 6.25 miles, but I didn't look at what my pace was but I was @ 1:06. I started thinking I could beat 2:15.
The next mile and a half I pushed myself up that hill. I felt good and I was passing people.
Mile 8 was the last turn around and I was heading home. At mile 9 I started to feel tired. I push on.
Mile 10 I took another gu and told myself I had a "easy" 5K to do with 2 hills to go. The first hill was the harder of the two and I kept going at whatever pace I was doing. The second one was a longer hill, but not as steep. I tried to push as much as I could, but I was pretty drain at that point.
Mile 12 the last turn to the finish and a nice gradual down hill. I push as much as I could without blowing up to the point I would start walking. At the last 1/4 mile left I saw my family arriving to the finish. As they were passing me and yelling "go daddy". I kept thinking they wouldn't have time to park the car and see me at the finish line. But my wife found a parking spot and the kids got out to cheer me on and ran with me to the finish. I got to the finish and stop my watch. It showed 2h18m01s and the distance was 13.24 miles? A new personal record with some extra distance as well!!!!

What would you do differently?:

I should have double knoted my laces. I also realized that I didn't program my garmin to take my mile splits. I wish I would have checked my watch more to see what my pace was.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some refreshment of oranges & slice bread. They also had chocolate milk as well!!

Event comments:

Well organize race for a 1st year events. Kept everyone updated about the course changes. We got running shorts, instead tech shirts. Finisher medal was a nice dog tag medal with dogtown logo.

I found out the Race Directors chose the "gun time" instead of chip time at the start of the race, which put me unoffically about a minute faster and I was told by alot of runners that we ran an extra .10 miles?

My previous PR half marathon was done on a course that was 80% down hill. So I put this race much harder.

Last updated: 2010-12-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: I decided to run this race back in December when this race was set as a point to point race with most of the run down hill. But in January we had a major flood that washed out part of the course. The city was able to fix the course, but there would still be a section that would be on dirt. Than it rained and the race director changed the course to a out and back with several rollers.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes