General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad chills after long run. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-05 6:18 PM

Subject: Bad chills after long run.

I had planned on doing 12 miles today in preparation for a half in 2 weeks. For the first 3 miles I had shin splints in my right leg so I stopped every mile to stretch. When they finally went away I got a side stitch until mile 4... this is when I decided to turn around and just do 8 today. At mile 6 I started to feel like my body was shutting down and my muscles wouldn't go any further... I felt like I had run 20 miles instead of only 6. I forced myself to get back to my car (a mixture of walking and jogging).

When I got there I felt like I was going to pass out and all I wanted to do was sleep. I started getting the chills really bad and my muscles ached. After my shower I put on a long sleeve shirt, a fleece, and a sweatshirt, climbed into bed and put 3 layers of blankets on me... I was still shivering! After 2 hours I got up and felt fine. What could be an explanation for this? I feel like if I were getting the flu or something I'd still be feeling sick, but now feel fine. Last weekend I did 11 miles and felt great. Thanks for your help!

2011-03-05 6:41 PM
in reply to: #3384311

User image

Expert
Portland
Subject: RE: Bad chills after long run.

3 possibilities (IMO)

1. Dehydration - Water helps you regulate your body tempurature

2. Your body temperature takes a sharp drop at the end of your run (hence why they wrap marathoners in a space blanket"

3. you Might be getting sick.

2011-03-05 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Almost exact thing happened to me last weekend.  Ran 8 on saturday, got to 2 miles on Sunday, wasn't feeling it, went to the shower, got chills right after.  Actually passed out day after, EMT told me it might have been dehydration, turns out next day it was evident I got some flu bug.  I felt fine the first 2 days, no headache, no sore throat etc.

2011-03-05 6:49 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'd agree with the three possibilities listed above. Could also be nutrition but not likely.

My second year doing tris I did more longer spring training rides and often would be so cold after wards that I'd get in bed after my shower to warm up. My coach at the time suggested the same ideas listed above. For me I think it was part building fitness as I was riding longer than I had and doing more excercise than I had in twenty years.

2011-03-05 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
Sounds like you developed a fever/chills...just happened to be on your run.
2011-03-05 8:04 PM

Thanks for your responses. I definitely didn't drink as many fluids yesterday or this morning as I normally do, but I won't rule out the beginnings of getting sick either. I'll take it easy the rest of the weekend and see.

2011-03-05 8:50 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Aside from what others have said, one other possibility--total exhaustion!  I'm wondering it could have been what you did the day before, or the sum total of the week's training, or if something else--stress, lack of sleep, poor nutrition--was sapping your energy.  When I was younger and doing high-level marathon training, I seemed to recover quickly from even brutal workouts, and didn't get the usual warning signs that other people did like muscle soreness or high resting heart rate. I'd be fine day after day and then all of a sudden after some random workout--usually a long/hard one but sometimes an easy one the day after, I'd get chills like that. My coach and I finally figured out it was just my body's unique way of saying, "I've had it."  If you're tired or getting sick, the solution's the same--a couple of easy days!
2011-03-05 9:01 PM

User image

Regular
Traverse City, MI

The chills hit me this morning after my 2 hour run and change. I typically drink enough water and do my chia seed regiment every day and before working out.

I did have that one 'cough' when I woke up this morning... that cough you hate. Chest congestion. I somewhat ignored it and made it through my run okay. However I am completely drained. Took some mucinex to try and break it up and get over this 'bug' quickly. Although I haven't really coughed much today, but I can feal the heavy chest.

The wife had the 'bug' last week, I thought I had missed it. well, on to the raw food diet, that usually does wonders.

Hope ya get over it quickly, as I hope I do too.

2011-03-06 8:16 AM

Ugh, definitely the flu or something like it. I guess it just hit me during the run. Thanks for the help!
2011-03-06 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

I've gone on some rides lately in the 40s and 50s and often when I get home it takes me a couple hours to warm up again.  Annoying, but hey, you burn more calories when your body is trying to warm back up!

If it is not a normal occurrence I would also second the illness theory.

-eric

2017-05-28 1:02 PM

I had the identical thing happen yesterday. Scary. I drank plenty of water (maybe too much?) It was a cool morning and I had eaten a small meal about two hours prior. I've been researching. Has anyone considered hyponatremia?

2017-05-28 10:53 PM
in reply to: menglo

Originally posted by menglo

3 possibilities (IMO)

1. Dehydration - Water helps you regulate your body tempurature

2. Your body temperature takes a sharp drop at the end of your run (hence why they wrap marathoners in a space blanket"

3. you Might be getting sick.

Hmm, I thought the blankets were because we are typically quite under dressed given the temperatures and it is a long, slow, and miserable walk to the bag check and/or car. I've never heard of nor experienced my body temperature dropping after a long run.

Sounds like you had a fever.
2017-05-31 2:56 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

FWIW, after each HIM I've run and a couple of my longer/harder other events, I've developed chills and sweats in bed that night.

Sounds very similar to what you describe.  Likely the result of your body trying to get back to "normal," as those relatively huge efforts can disturb your homeostasis or set point of your metabolism for a brief period (all sorts of abnormal or at least atypical stuff going on after going hard/deep - dehydration, muscle break down, etc.).  Or such is the opinion of a few of my physiologist friends (and me).

As was said, this could have been the build up of stress and this run put you over the top (hasn't happened that way to me, but we're all n=1).

Other possibilities are certainly as described above, and perhaps more likley - just an additional possibility (which I thought I'd add, as it freaked me out the first couple times!!!).

Matt

2017-06-01 7:11 AM
in reply to: Jessamynsara

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I've had hyponatremia a couple of times and chills aren't really a primary feature, though they can be part of that or severe heat exhaustion. There's usually other stuff going on--nausea, light-headedness, feeling mentally foggy, tingling in your fingers and toes are really typical, as is craving salt. Symptoms are usually relieved by ingesting electrolyte beverages and/or salty foods and lying down for a while, unless you've gotten into such a state that you are vomiting (the body's way of trying to restore electrolyte balance--reduce fluid to increase sodium concentration) or too nauseous to get anything down, in which case they use IV's. It's not so much chills as breaking out into a cold sweat from nausea, which can be quite intense.

Mainly a risk for athletes doing long races or workouts in very hot, humid conditions and hydrating too much with plain water without taking in sufficient electrolytes to balance that. The last time I had it (a mild case), the aid stations had run out of ice (in a tropical HIM) but were handing out chilled bottled water. I was drinking too much of that, not so much from thirst but in an effort to stay cool, and not enough electrolyte drink. I actually had a gu with electrolytes as well as some electrolyte tabs on my person for just this eventuality (it had happened the year before in the same race) but was too out of it to remember to take them. Luckily the race ended before I suffered any serious physical effects beyond tingling fingers in the final few kilometers, and some wooziness after the finish.

Unless conditions are really extreme, or you are hydrating only with water beyond what thirst would dictate, chills are much more likely to be a sign of exhaustion or impending illness.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad chills after long run. Rss Feed