General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-26 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Subject: Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan

Long story short, I've been training for a half-mary on May 15.  Diagnosed with patellar tendonitis so I can't start running again until April 11.  I've been going back and forth with the idea of not doing the HM and just finding one for later in the season, but I'm having a hard time giving it up.  It'll be my first, and I've been looking forward to it since November.  I've got a HIM coming up in July, as well, and that is definitely my "A" race for the season.

Hubby came up with a "plan" for April 11-May 15 to prep me as best as I can, but I want BT's help on what they think about it!  I'm still on the fence about it.  All my logs are up to date.

Week of April 11 - 3mi - 3mi - 5mi

Week of April 18 - 3mi - 3mi - 3mi - 6mi

Week of April 25 - 4mi - 5mi - 8mi

Week of May 2 - 5mi - 6mi - 9mi

Week of May 9 - 5mi - 3mi - race

Can I ramp up for a half marathon on this plan?

And is it safe to use this plan after my injury?

Thank you!

2011-03-26 9:22 AM
in reply to: #3415276

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan

I'd skip the HM and instead train and build a bit conservatively so you can get and stay healthy for your HIM.

You don't know if when you start running again if you'll be pain free.

Are you willing to take the risk of not getting to do your A HIM for a HM you will be under trained for?

Are you doing any pool aqua jogging to keep run fitness up? I know for many it helps preserve their run fitness or have them lose fitness slower.

2011-03-26 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3415294

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan
KathyG - 2011-03-26 9:22 AM

I'd skip the HM and instead train and build a bit conservatively so you can get and stay healthy for your HIM.

You don't know if when you start running again if you'll be pain free.

Are you willing to take the risk of not getting to do your A HIM for a HM you will be under trained for?

Are you doing any pool aqua jogging to keep run fitness up? I know for many it helps preserve their run fitness or have them lose fitness slower.

Agree, agree, agree.

I am in the middle of the 1/2 IM plan right now. The workouts don't get any easier. Focus on your goal - your A race. Start the plan healthy, energized and ready to roll.

2011-03-26 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3415276

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help! Post-Tendonitis 5 Week HM Training Plan Rss Feed