General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Found my motivation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-03-30 11:58 PM

Subject: Found my motivation

I realized I found my motivation while driving to the Y to get my swim in.  Since this past winter I decided I was going to start doing triathlons.  Since then my motivation and training has been up and down.  I would go train but with very little consistancy.  0500 alarm goes off and I often would turn it off go back to sleep and squeeze in a half butt workout in during the day.  That was up till a little over a week ago when I registered for a Marathon (I know its not a tri but...).  At any rate this morning I realized that since registering for a race even though its a marathon I have yet to skip a training session, turn off the alarm and go back to sleep.  I guess I just can never not be registered for a race of some sort if I want to stay focused on training.   

I hope that makes some since.  Its late, I'm tired but cant sleep. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

2011-03-31 5:39 AM
in reply to: #3422776

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Found my motivation
Absolutely makes sense.  Having a race somewhere on the horizon is a great motivator.  I was scared to death when I signed up for my first marathon so trained my butt off.
2011-03-31 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
I fully understand that. Back in December when I didn't have a race on the horizon my alarm was ignored quite regularly. In January I signed up for a tri and have been popping out of bed at 5am to swim. The tri is this weekend and I don't have another scheduled so now I'm floundering for what I'm going to do for motivation starting next week. I have been following a plan so always had distance and time set, but now I'm just flapping in the wind. Time to work on speed now I guess.
2011-03-31 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3423007

Regular
I have learned that I have to have a race on the calendar to make myself really commit to the training. otherwise I'll skip too many workouts because, hey, it doesn't really hurt to miss one right?

Having a race on the calendar that is a stretch for you or goals that are stretch goals are a great motivator for me. A race gives you a deadline and I work better with a deadline.
2011-03-31 8:49 AM

I love your post. It's so true. Triathlon training is not something that someone does just for the fun of it. Meaning, you dont Swim/Bike/Run for too many hours in a week, without SOMETHING in mind down the road, in terms of a race/performance requirements. The sport demands too much from you. Probably why off-season training can be such a drag. Early-season training is much more fun and focused, because you have pent-up energy from a long period of no racing, and you have some early race goals in mind....I'm 5 weeks away from an "A" race, and it comes early in the season, and right now my training is STOKED! I need no more motivation than that date on 1 May!
2011-03-31 8:59 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
makes a lot of sense, but if you really did register for a marathon you better actually get running!! You have lots of work to do!! Just to warn you, marathon training is BRUTAL!!

2011-03-31 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
It really helps me to have a race on the horizon. I've seen people be so race focused that once that "goal" is over, they kind of quit for a while. Think about having several years of races planned out.

I am wanting to race IM Canada next year and so to make that happen will be volunteering this year so I definitely get a spot. However, right now I'm most motivated by Vineman which is in July. The problem is, that I have races that I want to do this year that don't fit into my schedule that I want to do next year and I keep reading about great events that I want to do. I think you get the picture that once the bug hits, there is more than enough motivation.
2011-03-31 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan

Most definitely agree.

If I didn't have race goals to point to and prepare for I would still run, but I would probably not be as religious about it and I probably wouldn't wear a watch and look at it every quarter of a mile.  I would still ride my bike but probably cruise along at 16 - 18 mph enjoying the scenery.

And I sure as heck wouldn't go anywhere near the water.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Found my motivation Rss Feed