Colorado Multisport
56F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 33m 14s
Overall Rank = 109/226
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4:15, I wanted to have plenty of time to take a shower and eat a good breakfast. I had a bowl of oatmeal, 2 pieces of toast with butter, and a banana. My swim started at 7:12 and I ate breakfast at about 4:45. I had everything packed the night before so I grabbed a couple of books to read in case there was a ton of time between setting up and starting. This was my first race so, even though I was fairly confident I could do it I was nervous of the unkown. First transistion, etc. I got to the race at about 5:45. The transition area opened at 5:30. I chose a transition spot as they were not numbered. This is the first change I will make. I chose a spot near the entrance instead of the exit. Only a few seconds but those count. Set up my transition area and really tried to pay attention to what everyone else was doing. I loved the fact that there were people from the fittest to the heaviest, yountg and old. It was cloudy and misty but not that cold. They numbered us in the trans. area.
Event warmup:

I did some stretching and some light jogging. Not much. I swam about 50 meters, which was all I had time for. It was a pool swim and after the pre race meeting I only had a couple of minutes. My body felt great though. I took a GU gell about 15 minutes ahead and tried to drink a lot of water. This is my second change, I will change to gatorade or some type of fuel fore before race drink. My calves started to knot up during the first part of the run. I needed more fuel. The other thing I needed to do better was make sure I went to the bathroom one last time. I went twice but as you will see I stopped in the rr on the way out of the pool to t1. Only 30 secs or so and better now than on the bike but precious secs.
Swim
  • 17m 32s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the only real disappointing part of the tri. The time about includes T1 which was approximately 3 minutes, unfortunately I did not get my watch started during the swim. I started it after using rr after swim before t1. That still leaves me with approximately a 14 minute swim. In practice I was doing this in 11:30 to 12 minutes. I had to breast stroke about 1/2 of the swim because the snake swim bottled up. There were 3 people in front of me that were too much to pass. I think it was the woman at the front of those 3 that was slower, but she made no attempt to let us pass at the ends and 3 people were too many to pass during the lane because of on coming traffic. The worst part is my goal was to beat 1 hour 30 minutes and if I could have swam at my usual pace I think I could have done it. Some things you can't control.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure. I need to get faster. I have done sprints in the pool I just need to do more and more yards/meters. I wasn't unhappy with my stroke and really if I could have swam the whole thing then I might be happy other than just getting better.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I didn't wear a wetsuit, and I didn't use bike shoes. No need for the first and I don't own second. So most of my time was spent putting on shoes and socks and tying. I actually had everything laid out fine and had an order to put it on. It went well. I just lost time going to the bathroom.

I need to avoid the bathroom break next time. I may go sockless, although I had booties and they didn't take that long. When I get real concerned about 2 or 3 seconds difference I will put my bike on the rack by the seat instead of the brakes. Overall though it went pretty smoothly for the first time. It was very exiting.
Bike
  • 47m 16s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Again I was pleased for the most part. With the weather conditions being a little breazy and mist to drizzle not bad. This was a very rolling course so again I was fairly pleased. I rode in my running shoes as I have no bike shoues and no clipless pedals. I have the straps. Shoes and pedals would probably help some. I flatted on the back tire with about 1/4 of a mile left. I'm glad it didn't happen farther out. I chose to ride it on in, but it did slow me down. Maybe 30 secs to a minute.

I just need to improve. I have done some hill training but not repeats, I also need to do speed training. Everything to this point was distances and endurance to get through it. I also need to learn to drink more. I tried to drink every 10 minutes and did, but not enough. Didn't even finish one bottle. Lost some time while drinking as well.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Again, most of time in the transition was spent running from the dismount to trans. spot and then again out to start run. About 100 yards both ways. I already had my running shoes on so that was easy. I took a little extra time and this is probably where I need to change as well. I took another GU and washed it down. Should have had it so I could take it on the bike on the way in. Next time I will. This is what I planned and didn't do it.

As said above, have the GU down on the bike before I came in. Also I will try to get my spot closer to the exit next time. I wore biking glove which didn't take long to put on but probably could save some time next time by just running with them on.
Run
  • 28m 26s
  • 3.1 kms
  • 09m 10s  min/km
Comments:

Although this was my worst ranking I was more pleased with it than the swim. When I came out of t2 I had really bad cramping in my right calf. I had to walk the first almost 1/4 of a mile, so when you think about that I ran the rest not to bad. I'm not sure why the cramping left, I assume because the GU started to get into my muscles, but it left. It didn't come back. Over all I ran at a much better pace than I thought I would have been able to. I only walked one other time for about 5 seconds. I was able to finish strong and keep my form up.

I would drink and fuel more on the bike so I didn't cramp up on the run. I need to work on speed. I have done a few tempo runs and fartleks but no track work. I will begin to do more and more. Again this was my first and I really wanted to concentrate on finishing.
Post race
Warm down:

It was Father's day and my family got up early to come and watch me. That made my day. They were at the finish line waiting for hugs. Also cheering the whole way. I grabbed some food including some great breakfast burritos. Drank a lot of water and Gu20. Stretched a lot

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to lose about 20 pounds to really get better, I also need to add some weight lifting to strengthen up. I need to get better at the nutrition part as well. The cramping at the beginning of the run cost me time as did the rr break. I need to start adding speed work and strength training. I also like to eat, which is ok, but I need to eat healthier. More hills on the bike. I couldn't control the swim bottleneck and that is really the only disappointing part. Overall for my first tri I am very excited and happy. I signed up 7 months ago and began training right away. The other change I will make is to be more specific about my training so I don't burn out. Not start so soon, but be more intense and more quality. As the time to do this got closer I was wondering if I really wanted to do it. I loved it and will continue to do, hopefully 2 or 3 a year, eventually moving up to olympic distance. My next one will be at the end of July. Only part that makes me nervous is I have to recover from this one. My calf muscle is really sore and then I'm out of town and won't be able to tain for a week. I hope I will be in good enough shape.

Event comments:

I do believe I am hooked. I have to save some money though for entry fees and new tri shorts. I can't wait to do it again though. I felt great finishing this and accomplishing my goal. I am scared to only do one more because that means I have to wait until next year to do more. But hopefully there will be many more to come.

Last updated: 2004-02-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:32 | 600 meters | 02m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/226
Performance: Below average
600 meter snake swim.
Suit: None
Course: This was a 600 meter snake swim. I was the 77th person in the water and they were going every 10 secs. As I watched there were no bottle ups. People were letting people pass at the ends, you could also pass during the swim if you could do it and not run into the person ahead of you.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:47:16 | 13 miles | 16.50 mile/hr
Overall: 69/226
Performance: Good
HR stayed in the 150's except on the hills.
Wind: Some
Course: Course was a biggle circle/square. Left the park and did a 13 mile loop I guess is the best word. I drove the course the day before and that was a sooper help. It was a lot more hilly than I thought it would be so I'm glad I was prepared. The time abouve again includes t2. My actual bike time was right at 45 minutes. A little slower than I wanted to go, but with the hills I was actually pleased. I ave. a little over 17 mph.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:26 | 03.1 kms | 09m 10s  min/km
Overall: 84/226
Performance: Good
HR actually stayed in the 170's so I could have pushed it more. Legs weren't coop. but I had the HR room.
Course: Loop that was also rolling hills to flat. About 50/50
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?