Fort Collins Club
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 52s
Overall Rank = 106/252
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:15 and took a shower. Like to wake up. Had a cup of coffee and started to drink Gatorade. Ate a power bar, banana, and two pieces of buttered toast. Transition opened at 6 am, so left around 5:30. Cloudy and cool at this time but became a beautiful day for a tri.
Event warmup:

Did some stretching and very light jogging. This is one area I need to work on. Thought about taking the bike for a short ride but got caught up in the talking to other athletes and trying to get body numbered etc. Took a GU about 30 minutes prior to swim start, with water.
Swim
  • 07m 59s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my best swim ever. I have a long way to go if I am going to compete for top spots, but for me time wise I killed it if you know what I mean. This was my best time for that distance by over 20 seconds. I was very happy with the swim. Noone passed me, they obviously seeded me fairly appropriately. I passed 4 or 5 people. Great fun!!
What would you do differently?:

My goggle strap came undone about 5 people before my start. I got it fixed but next time will do a better check. I just need to keep working and will begin to work on kick and other fine points. May even get a stroke coach.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

This was a slow transition, atleast it felt like it. Had everything organized just slow.

I will do a number of things differently. I do not have bike shoes so most of my time is spent putting on shoes and tieing them. I dried off well and they went on easy but the shoe strings are a pain. I will purchase some of those you just tighten up. I put on my strap for HR. I will swim with it next time. My biking gloves were time consuming as well. I need them though, so I need to figure a better way to do them.
Bike
  • 41m 2s
  • 13 miles
  • 19.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I should be better on the bike. Need to put more time there. I think you just get into the idea that it is easier, but I felt it today. I improved my time greatly, some due to conditions and some due to working, but need to be better. I chose to wear my hydration pack and I'm glad I did. I drank much better this race and it didn't make that much difference in time for me. I taped a GU to my bike and took it about 2/3's of the way through the bike this time. Last time I waited until T2. Saved time in T2 and I felt the energy boost. I was hoping it would also help with the cramping in my calf off of the bike and into the run. It didn't seem to as I cramped.

I just need to work on condition on the bike. 19 miles per hour is not that bad for my second race. Can't wait until next.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

This transition is good for me because all I have to do is take off my helmet, hydro pack, and put on my visor. I left my biking gloves on and took them off as I ran and just held them. This worked well as I didn't waist time in trans. and I like to have something in my hands when I run. Helps me with my form.

This will change if I get bike shoes, etc. I changed this time by leaving my gloves on and taking the GU during the ride. Cut down a lot.
Run
  • 26m 30s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

The rank number is not that impressive, but the time for me is especially coming at the end of a tri and after cramping up in my calf in the beginning. i ran much better this time, my form was good and other than the cramping it felt good. I pushed hard but in the end I think I can push harder. I improved by two minutes over the last tri and the courses were very similer. One thing I changed is wearing short sleeved shirt. Made a difference.

I need to work on speed work. I have done a few tempo runs but no speed work. That will be the next step in my progression. I will also begin to push a little more. By the end I was running great. It really seemed like I was running slower than I was.
Post race
Warm down:

10 minute walk in the area and walking my bike and equip to car. Stretched quite a bit. Drank a lot of water and ate a bagel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some things I need to clear up in T1 as far as getting them on better. The cramping off the bike and into the run. I have now done two tris and it has happended both times. I need to figure that out. Last time I drank water before the race this time I drank Gatorade, had an energy bar for breakfast and took a GU before I started. Must be position on the bike or someting of that nature.

Event comments:

This race has been going for several years. They do a good job. This year, according to other competitors, was a little sloppy in the beginning. Otherwise very good.

Last updated: 2004-02-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:59 | 450 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/252
Performance: Good
Didn't moniter HR electonically although to make t1 shorter next time I may. I exerted plenty of energy and was in the max range as far as I could tell.
Suit: Nasbar Bike shorts
Course: This was a pool swim. Unlike the last tri this pool had the same amount of lanes as laps. It did not get congested and I was able to pass people. Water was comfy and conditions were good.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:02 | 13 miles | 19.01 mile/hr
Overall: 116/252
Swam much harder this time so my HR and effort level was already raised quite a bit. Then started out probably way too hard on the bike. Had to settle down a little bit. HR consistantly in the high 170s to low 180s. Bike HR max is in the 180's.
Wind: Little
Course: It was a three loop course with a 1/2 mile to get on and 1/2 mile to get off. Not as hilly as the last tri I did but did have a fair share that you had to do 3 times. 50 percent was probably uphill to slightly uphill, maybe 60 percent. The rest was level to slightly down. One major drop right before a turn so it was hard to really take advantage of it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:30 | 03.1 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Overall: 126/252
HR actually stayed in the 170's to low 180's. My max is in the mid 190's so I could have pushed more as far as my heart goes.
Course: It was a loop course on cement running trails and side walks for the first 1.25 miles. Last approx. 2 miles were on blacktop residential streets. 1st 2 miles were slightly up hill. Rest was level to slightly down hill. No major climbs or drops.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes