Foot of the Rockies
51F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 1s
Overall Rank = 546/892
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 46/55
Pre-race routine:

Not as early as a triathlon obviously because no transition area to set up. Still early enough to eat a couple pieces of toast and a snickers energy bar. One cup of coffee to ensure no caffeen problems and then drank a lot of water. Relaxed, read my bible and enjoyed the morning. Left home about an hour and 15 minutes ahead of time. Half hour to get there and park and 45 minutes to warm up and get to the race start.
Event warmup:

I stretched for 10 minutes altogether and jogged for maybe 5 minutes. My adrenaline was pumping and I felt surprisingly great. My legs had been somewhat sore the previous week. They felt great!!!
Run
  • 2h 10m 1s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt absolutely great until about 10 miles. I set three goals. To run under 10 minute miles, if not, then 2:15 total time, then finally if it was a really down day, just finish in less than 3 hours to get a medal. Each mile I hit I realized I was under my 10 minute goal even in the end when I saw it dwindle a little bit. But it kept me going. That was awesome. So I hit my number one goal. The disappointing part of the run was the slow down in the last three miles. Next time I want to slow a little in the beginning and be able to kick it in the end, although it wasn't a lung/energy issue, it was a foot and leg issue. I need more miles.
What would you do differently?:

See above!
Post race
Warm down:

Would like to have gotten a message, but stretched, drank a lot of water and energy drink, hugged my wife and children and went to have some lunch. Enjoyed the post race atmosphere!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to add some speed work. Started to when I started training for this, but I need to start small and build up. Hopefully by next May, my next half, I will have done much more. I hope to break 2 hours by then.

Last updated: 2004-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:01 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/55
Overall: 546/892
Performance: Good
HR was consistantly in high 170's low 180's. It didn't feel like I was running that hard. I knew it had to be faster because of the output but it didn't feel like I was exerting that much more.
Course: Very beautiful, mostly flat course. A few very small rises. 1st 3 miles were on asphalt streets to string the race out a little, next 9 miles on bike trails. Very beautiful, only wished they would have been gravil instead of asphalt and cement. Last little more than a mile on asphalt street again.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes