General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those who don't do flip turns Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-04-09 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3434533

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: For those who don't do flip turns

I am in the don't know how to do them camp.  Just a touch and gentle pushoff to simulate staying at speed in open water.  Yes, you don't have a wall to push off in open water, but you also don't lose your momentum every 25 yards.  I do start the stroke as soon as possible so no free glide.

It works for me.  Mileage may vary.

2011-04-09 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3435257

User image

Bronze member
ChrisM - 2011-04-07 7:36 PM

running2far - 2011-04-07 4:53 PM Off to masters, where I'll flip turn and gasp swim some fly, back, and breast too. I'll probably turn into a pumpkin and have no idea what to do when I swim in a lake. No idea how to make that red font and don't want to learn cause it doesn't make me a better poster

Freaking brilliant

Now that was funny.

2011-04-10 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3434533

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
It doesn't matter if you do flip turns or open turns, but what I will contend is that triathletes should do streamlined pushes off the walls when training in a pool.

Why? Because drag reduction is the number one thing that will improve your performance, adn maintaining a streamlined shape while in the motion of swimmign is very, very difficult to do...ESPECIALLY if you don't touch the wall or if you pushoff the wall like a granny who doesn't want to get her hair wet (OK, exaggeration there...)

By starting every length in the best streamline you can achieve you have several moments to kinesthetically feel what it's like to be Michael Phelps or Sara McClarty. No, i'm not exaggerating here. NExt time you push off the wall, close your eyes, exend your arms infront of you, hands clasped over each other, biceps against hte side of your head, look down at the bottom of the pool, gluts squeezed together, knees and ankles touching and the toes of one foot stacked over the top of the other foot. You are a torpedo in the water.

Now FEEL the water rolling off your body all along it's lenght...your fingers, palms, forarms, the tickly inner side of your bicep, your shoulder blades, your lats your low back, your hips, your thighs, calves and finally off the tips of your toes....

When you break the surface still horizontal and begin swimming...focus on holding any ONE of those sensations as you swim, even when swimming slowly.

Do this with every turn for the next week and tell me if you don't improve your overall form just by kinesthetic feedback alone.

Edited by AdventureBear 2011-04-10 1:26 PM
2011-04-10 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3435193

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
lisac957 - 2011-04-07 7:02 PM

bryancd - 2011-04-07 6:57 PM All I ask is those of you who choose not to, that's cool, but don't argue actively against their utility to justify your decision.

And for those who choose not to, they could easily reverse this statement and ask the same of you.

Really?.....REALLY?

Those who can, do.

Also, you don't need a bucket in transition.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For those who don't do flip turns Rss Feed  

of 3