Rotary Club of Opelousas Sunrise
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 30s
Overall Rank = 16/143
Age Group = M 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

The usual, coffee and bagels, dressed, drove to site. First bike racked! Yeah, I'm obsessive like that.
Event warmup:

Biked the run course and a little more, probably 4-5 miles total. Ran about a 1/2 mile out then back to start.
Run
  • 15m 58s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Took a while to wade through the crowd and find my pace, then I was fine and pretty much on cruise control. Tried to keep Dylan in sight but failed.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a good hard effort for me, couldn't have found much more if I tried.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Pretty uneventful, so easy I thought I was forgeting something.

Didn't get my splits on the watch, official timer didn't either. Bike time per computer was 1:30 less than official time including transtions, so I split that time equally between T1 and T2.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 42m 24s
  • 16.1 miles
  • 22.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Must have passed thirty or so in the first three mile, fast runners who need to work on their cycling! Strong headwind, reported to be 15-20mph with gusts. Kept focus on power output, ambitiously thought I could keep it between 240w and 250w, a little above my tested FTP of 235. Think I was more easily able to do that on the way out against the wind.

Passed Dylan (son) about a mile before the turnaround, let him know he had a drafter. When I saw him after the turnaround, he had four. Rampant cheating.

After the turnaround things got a lot faster, the effort easier. Just couldn't keep the power where I wanted it, although I was riding 28-30mph at times. Nearly spinning out on the 53-13 at times but not quite willing to go down to the 12T.

People to overtake were getting scarcer. Managed to chase down a guy with about 3 miles left, passed him at 34mph on a slight decline. Bastard stuck on my wheel the rest of the way in. Doesn't anyone follow rules anymore?

Nothing, great ride for me, fourth fastest time in the race (per the official results, which include transitions) and the three faster cyclists were all local studs. Averaging 22.7 on an out-and-back course in that wind is solid.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Another uneventful transition.

Nothing
Run
  • 16m 38s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Weather had warmed up nicely by this time, highs on the way 90s by the afternoon. Especially hot on the way back with the tailwind and no cooling breeze. Just did the best I could, trying to put out everything I had left. I think four or five younger guys passed me in the first half mile, then another in the last half mile, but he didn't get more than 30 yards ahead of me.

Primarily wanted to stay ahead of Dylan and Brent (co-worker), saw them both after the turnaround and neither was threatening, neither is particularly known as a strong closer. Not that it mattered, I'm giving it everything I have anyway, which at that point doesn't seem like much.

Nothing. Again, happy with this.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and watched Brent and Dylan finish; Brent ended up first in M35-39 and Dylan 2nd in M19 & under, both behind this old guy. ;^)
Then I grabbed some drinks and food, watched the boys finish, then Angel, who won her AG as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still trying to get my run on track, training hampered by achilles tendonitis lately; as always still trying to take the weight off. But 18th overall, fourth best bike split and first in AG by over four minutes is a long way ahead of where I was last April.

Event comments:

As usual, nice well-run race, probably the best duathlon in the area. Not particularly fond of the new venue, though the RD did not have a whole lot of choice this year. Hope they move it back to the traditional venue next year, as this one is rather dull, route is 95% on the service road of I-49.

Last updated: 2011-04-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:58 | 02 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 73/143
Performance: Good
Course: New course, south on I-49 service road about 2/3 mile to Flagstation Road,then right and another 1/3 mile to turnaround. Return to transition. Dull.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:42:24 | 16.1 miles | 22.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/143
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: RD had to change venue two weeks ago due to construction on the old bike route. This was a segment they completed the overlay on, fresh blacktop, smooth and seemless. Out of transiton you go north for ~1/2 mile on service road, then right on Harry Guilbeau Road, under I-49, then right on the service road on the other side. Continue south on that service road, crossing LA93 and LA182 in Grand Coteau, to turnaround at Mile 8. Return to transition on same route.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:16:38 | 02 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/143
Performance: Average
Course: Repeat of the first run
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-10 6:41 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Opelousas Rotary Sunrise Duathlon

2011-04-11 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3438916

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Opelousas Rotary Sunrise Duathlon
Nice Race, John.  Great bike leg.  Nice to see another "old man" do well.

Didn't know you have been fighting Achilles tendonitis.  That was my downfall last year.  Hope you can stay on top of it.

Mark
2011-04-11 10:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana

Enjoyed having all 5 BEARS participate in a Duathlon-the twins FIRST!

Great job everyone! Laughing

2011-04-12 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Dirt Road

Go on with it Bear! You should probably work on that first bike racked thing.

2011-04-14 5:01 AM

User image

Melon Presser

A dualathalonage?

FIRST PLACE AG???

Leaving it all on the course?????

This is just unheard of.

Congrats and a bit o' {MELON SQUEEZE}

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}