General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running (outdoors vs. treadmill) question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-12 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Running (outdoors vs. treadmill) question
I have a running buddy who inexplicably gets better times when running on a treadmill compared to running outside or in race events.

In a 5K race about a month ago, he averaged 8:24/mile. (relatively flat course) A few days ago on a treadmill at the local fitness center, he ran a 5K and average 6:45/mile.

I was not there watching him run on the treadmill, but he has been taking pictures of the treadmill display screen for proof as his times have been getting faster (due to the fact that no one really believed he was going that fast and he has been getting some good natured teasing)

I don't take this friend as a liar, and I trust that he at least believes he is going this fast on a treadmill, even though he is nowhere near it when we are outdoors.

So my question is, is there any circumstance where a person should be 1:45 per mile faster on a treadmill compared to outdoors? Or is this most likely a case of a misconfigured treadmill? I should also point out that it apparently is just the one treadmill at the gym that my buddy likes. It's his 'favorite' treadmill.

2011-04-12 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3442768

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Running (outdoors vs. treadmill) question

All treadmills are different, most are innaccurate. He would have to have the gym unit with a degree or 2 of incline to simulate wind drag.

Also Was the race windy??   there are too many variables, you said it was flat, but he coulda went around corners wide, got stuck in traffic at the start.

But i am a bit faster on my home dreadmill also, than outside. Not 1:45/m faster, but probably closer to 30 seconds. Some people race poorly and train great, could be that also.

He is probably not lying, but what i always say is "your logs are nice, but race times don't lie."

2011-04-12 3:05 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

Treadmills can be very innacurate.  Even for well calibrated machines, in order to somewhat realistically mimic running outside, they have to be set at around a 1% slope. 

Races aren't run on treadmills, so I would suggest to your buddy not using a treadmill as a gauge for his improvements on 5k racing.

2011-04-12 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

The speed and incline display rarerly give a true belt speed and actual incline.

On my home treadmill it takes the same effort to run a 10k at 7.5mph as it does at the gym to run at 6.5mph.

2011-04-12 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3442854

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
I hate running on a treadmill, but frequently have to run on hotel treadmills while traveling during the winter months. My average pace when out running is usually between a 7:00 to a 7:15 pace on a flat course. When I run on a treadmill I usually set it for an incline of 1 and the speed at about 7 which seems to me to require about the same effort level. According to most treadmills, a setting of 7 is only about an 8:30 pace. Maybe the slight incline is making the effort feel higher, but for some reason I hate running on the treadmill with no incline at all.
2011-04-13 2:41 PM

New user
I can definitely pull that off around here.  In the gym, it's 65 degrees.  Outside (South Florida), it's 88 degrees.  The sun just bakes the energy out of me.

2011-04-13 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Another thing to consider is that your buddy might be jumping of the belt a few times during the treadmill 5K for a quick breather or drink.  While he's not running during that time, the belt is still moving and calculating his distance/time.  Just a thought.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running (outdoors vs. treadmill) question Rss Feed