of 2

2011-04-14 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3447266

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: I suck at swimming.........Help
CoachMitch - 2011-04-14 4:27 PM
Renee - 2011-04-14 9:01 AM

Have you tried the Central Florida Marlin Masters team? Their website says they do stroke coaching.

http://centralfloridamarlins.com/masters.htm

I called these guys several times and they are never there.  Left messages but on response.

They seem to be at the pool quite a bit. Show up about 10-15mins before practice and talk to the coach. Looks like you'd get the added benefit of as much training as you can stand, if you join the masters team.

Practice Days & Times: 

• Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 6:00am - 7:00am
  • Monday through Thursday - 12:00am - 1:00pm
  • Tuesday, Thursday - 6:00pm - 7:00pm
  • Saturday - 7:00am - 8:00am

2011-04-14 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3446355

New user
Ocala
Blueraiderzone - 2011-04-14 9:54 AM

You sound like I was 2 years ago. I couldn't swim more than 2 laps without stopping. This wasn't just a one time thing, it was every time I went to the pool for about a year. No matter what I tried I just couldn't get better. It was pure frustration. Fast forward to now. Last week I swam 2.5 miles non-stop and I don't even consider it a workout unless I swim at least 2000 yards.

I can clearly remember the day all the frustration ended for me. It was my break-thru moment. I was finally able to forget about speed and focus on "slow". It doesn't matter how fast you go if you can not complete the distance.

Here's what worked for me. I pushed off the wall slowly with my feet and tried to glide. As I began to slow I swam one stroke. I did this several times, then I added a second stroke, and then another, etc. Each time I did this I tried to maintain the same "slow" pace. In my mind I kept telling myself I need to visualize myself in a marathon, but I am walking. In other words, I am doing a speed and effort that I can maintain all day. Eventually I made it to the end of the pool and I was relaxed and I was not winded.

Technique is very important. You will receive a lot of tips on BT. Once I was able to go slow I was able to apply these tips to improve my technique and become more efficient.

Btw, I did  have some very minor coaching. I was training with a group so we had a coach help us 2 or 3 times, but he basically did to me what your coach did to you. He was so shocked with how poor a swimmer I was he focused on the others because he pretty much thought I was a waste of time. I didn't have the funds to hire a personal coach so I had to self teach. Well, at my last tri I placed in the top 25% overall for the swim, so I guess it wasn't a waste of my time.

Good luck. Keep working at it and it will finally click.

This is awesome.  Thank you soooo much for sharing this.  I was feeling like it was just me.  Nice to know that there is hope.  I played football in college, raced motocross until I was 38, and have always excelled at sports.......until I got in the water.  Humbling to say the least.  I will not give up I just needed to get some advice on a direction.  I see that relax, relax, relax seems to be the theme.  Thanks again. 
2011-04-14 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3447284

New user
Ocala
Renee - 2011-04-14 3:31 PM
CoachMitch - 2011-04-14 4:27 PM
Renee - 2011-04-14 9:01 AM

Have you tried the Central Florida Marlin Masters team? Their website says they do stroke coaching.

http://centralfloridamarlins.com/masters.htm

I called these guys several times and they are never there.  Left messages but on response.

They seem to be at the pool quite a bit. Show up about 10-15mins before practice and talk to the coach. Looks like you'd get the added benefit of as much training as you can stand, if you join the masters team.

Practice Days & Times: 

• Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 6:00am - 7:00am
  • Monday through Thursday - 12:00am - 1:00pm
  • Tuesday, Thursday - 6:00pm - 7:00pm
  • Saturday - 7:00am - 8:00am

Thanks.  I will try them again and see if they respond.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I suck at swimming.........Help Rss Feed  

of 2