General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SLC for 6wks, where to SBR and OWS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-16 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: SLC for 6wks, where to SBR and OWS?

Hey everyone,

I'll be in SLC for airline training next week, so I'm looking for info on good pools, trail and long runs, and good road rides.  Training for Vineman in July.  I live in Colorado Springs, and we don't have a lot of options for OWS.  Hoping Utah has more.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

2011-04-16 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3450726

User image

Elite
Utah
Subject: RE: SLC for 6wks, where to SBR and OWS?

Hi Sarah!

Are you doing Full or 70.3?  There are two of us doing Vineman 70.3 that work right by the airport.

Swimming - I've been swimming at work.  Not sure we'll be able to get in the reservoirs out here for another 4 wks :/  When we do, it's sixes b/t Blackridge "pond" in Herriman or East Canyon up I-80 from SLC (depending on if you are coming from downtown SLC or the "burbs" - East Canyon may be closer)
The temp varies at Blackridge depending on when it gets filled (it rotates water from Utah Lake to the town for irrigation)

Bike - We will soon start doing our speed workouts out at the airport (2200 N).  Otherwise there are some nice rides around.  You can find most anything you want.  There is a great organized ride coming up May 7th - GhostTown Century (or Metric Cent)

Run - We have a group that will start meeting in the next few weeks (as the snow is melting fast) to trail run Millcreek Canyon.  Other good trails are Bonneville Shoreline and Dimple Dell.

Check out www.desert-sharks.com/forum
People post workouts for others to join in.  It's been slow lately, but as race season has arrived, I suspect that will change soon.  Hope to meet you while you're out here!

Heather

Edited by geauxtri 2011-04-16 10:09 PM
2011-04-16 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3450742

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the quick reply Heather!  I'll be doing the full, but I'll be horribly undertrained : (  The swimming is going great for the most part, but the bike/run is barely limping along for me.  I'm just looking to finish at this point. 

We'll be staying at the Candlewood Suites for the time we're there.  Maybe we can meet up since we're both racing?

Let me know!

2011-04-20 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
There is a good masters swimming group downtown near the university that meets everyday and I have heard that it is a really good group (I live further south in Sandy so attend a different group). As for the bike, there are plenty of great rides all over the valley from flat to hilly. Near the airport you can jump on the Jordan River Parkway and bike/ run for miles on a path with no cars. There is a group of people that have been ows at Bountiful lake on Thursdays at 4:30, water has been cold so a wetsuit will be a good idea, I will be swimming there tomorrow for my firs ever OWS! I am also training for the full monty by the way and I probably need alot more work than you do! Then again, I have until November! I wanted to do Vineman but my wife and I are expecting around that same time so I had to put it off.
2011-04-20 10:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT

Sorry, link to the masters, OWS and Jordan River Pkwy.

http://www.recreation.slco.org/slcsports/aquatics/mastersSwimProgram.html

http://www.utahopenwater.com/

http://www.maps.utah.gov/subject/subject.php?var=Parks

2011-04-21 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Utah

For the bike, I would catch the fronatgve road from just east of the airport, along I-80 westbound to Saltair and the marina, then back. Low traffic, fairly flat, always a wind, so it's never too easy or too hard, abot 18 miles round trip, longer if you start from your hotel or go all the way to the marina past Saltair. 

Good luck, and enjoy SLC!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » SLC for 6wks, where to SBR and OWS? Rss Feed