General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Columbian Half Iron, or Plutonium Man Half Iron? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-04-17 10:47 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Subject: Grand Columbian Half Iron, or Plutonium Man Half Iron?
I want to do a Half Ironman in the month of September and am debating between these two options. Do any of you have any feedback on either race, which one would you prefer? Or possibly another better option for me to consider?

2011-04-18 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3451723

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Subject: RE: Grand Columbian Half Iron, or Plutonium Man Half Iron?
I have done both of them.  The GC was my first half iron distance, the Plutonium was the second.  One year apart.  I liked them both.   TriFreaks has taken over operations for GC this year, and I was talking to the owner of it and he sounds like his goal is to make it a really great race this year.  It is pretty, and very hilly on the bike.  They have since changed the run course, but when I did it, it was a 2 loop, pretty hilly run, which was mentally really tough.  The Plutonium course still had hills on the bike and a couple of gradual hills on the run, but all of it was in loops, no out and backs really except a couple of jogs on the bike course, and that made the day really fun.  The swim on PM was awesome, downriver (not much current) in the Columbia River, and  it didn't require much sighting/navigation, which I loved.

Here are my two race reports--read them if you want my perspective on each one: 

GRAND COLUMBIAN

PLUTONIUM MAN

Feel free to ask  more questions!  Good luck!
2011-04-18 1:12 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Grand Columbian is a great race and venue but the bike course is really tough. Here are two other options in September. I'm considering the Stumptown race which is in the Portland area because it sounds like a very pretty course and is supposed to be very flat. I would love to PR an HIM and the timing would be about right. I'll still have to do the Olympic at GC though because the first hill there kicked my butt last year and I want payback.

http://www.racecenter.com/stumptown/

http://racecenter.com/blackdiamond/
2011-04-18 1:26 PM

Master
, California

I've done the Black Diamond half-iron course.  The hills are very mild - nothing more than 4%-ish.  It's a fun smaller event - maybe 300 people.  And fairly inexpensive compared to other events for that distance - $115 as I recall?

The Black Diamond event also has sprint and olympic races on the same weekend.

2011-04-21 1:01 AM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Whats the typical participant turnout for both PM and GC? How would you compare the volunteer support between the two? 
2011-04-22 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3457991

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
GC has been around for a lot longer, so there are a lot more participants.  It was the first year of PM in 2010, so I would expect to see more participants there this year as word gets around that it is a great course.  Both were well-supported and had tons of water stations etc....in fact, both stand out as two of the best-supported races that I have done.  The volunteers were amazing on both.  I know that doesn't make it an easy decision!  I am leaning toward PM again, IF I do a HIM this year, just because the bike course is not quite as grueling and it is easier to travel to tri cities and there's free lodging (I am cheap!).  However, I wouldn't say no to doing GC again in the future either.

2011-04-22 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3452889

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
popsracer - 2011-04-18 11:12 AM Grand Columbian is a great race and venue but the bike course is really tough. 

I'll still have to do the Olympic at GC though because the first hill there kicked my butt last year and I want payback. /

That first hill is a killer!  We drove the course the night before the race, and it gave me nightmares (in the ten minutes I actually slept the night before, ha!).  It felt great to be done with the hill, though!  It hits right at the beginning of the bike course and is about 3 miles long.  I don't know the grade, but it's steep.  There are banked turns!  Here's a picture of me, the morning after, on that hill with a banked turn behind me.

2011-04-22 1:45 PM
in reply to: #3460542

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Medusa_Ann - 2011-04-22 9:43 AM

popsracer - 2011-04-18 11:12 AM Grand Columbian is a great race and venue but the bike course is really tough. 

I'll still have to do the Olympic at GC though because the first hill there kicked my butt last year and I want payback. /

That first hill is a killer!  We drove the course the night before the race, and it gave me nightmares (in the ten minutes I actually slept the night before, ha!).  It felt great to be done with the hill, though!  It hits right at the beginning of the bike course and is about 3 miles long.  I don't know the grade, but it's steep.  There are banked turns!  Here's a picture of me, the morning after, on that hill with a banked turn behind me.

Thats a great picture. From up there the water looks so far away. You really feel like you just climbed a mountain.
2011-05-06 10:10 PM

User image

Veteran
I havent done either but have heard alot of good things about GC but all bad about the other. But GC is not an easy one
2011-06-02 5:54 PM
in reply to: #3457991

User image

New user

Inland Northwest

For participant count, I look at the last finisher in last year's results and compare it to previous years.  It also makes me feel good when I think that I hope to do better than that.

I did the GC Olympic last year, and I mastered the hill just fine, but the wind at the top of the hill on the rollers for the next 8 to 10 miles almost killed me.  I am riding in the wind more this year to prepare.  Of course there are more miles of wind on the HIM.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Grand Columbian Half Iron, or Plutonium Man Half Iron? Rss Feed