The Petersburg Triathlon Group
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

This race does not start until 1:00 PM. Slept in, then had scrambled eggs and toast for breakfast. Did half hour of yoga to try to mellow out. Took a spin around the block on the bike then jogged up the cul-de-sac to practice transition. Loaded up and headed for Petersburg around 10:00 AM. Felt a little nervous. It was in the 40s and I was conflicted about what to wear.
On the drive out, I very narrowly missed hitting a deer. It jumped out of a grove of trees and skittered across the road, missing my car by a scant 10 feet. As if I wasn't nervous enough!!
Event warmup:

Got to race site and ran into my training buddy Mary right away. Her husband Troy was out there volunteering. Got bike racked and transition set up; not the best of spots as I was pretty deep into the rack and it was narrow. Some nice person next to me had tied a big blue balloon to the rack, making it easy to find the bike. I was on the 4th rack from the entrance, easy to remember. Ate a small turkey sandwich and walked around visiting with people. Lots of Springfield Tri Club members there. Watched the Super Sprint racers swim, which was fun as there are some pretty good little kids in this event.
When the pool cleared out from the Super Sprint, swam about 100 yards to warm up and then stretched a bit.
Swim
  • 07m 22s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I estimated my swim time to be about 6:50 for the 300 yard distance and lined up in the >6:00 area, which was very congested. There was a guy from my swim class in front of me, he decided I should go before him, which was fine. We swim about the same pace. First 100 yards went well, felt calm and focused on breathing. Swim-class-guy was right on my heels and bumped my foot a couple of times. I couldn't tell if he was drafting or if he actually was trying to pass, so at the wall I let him and a gal in a purple suit pass me, then ducked in behind them. Swim-class-guy suddenly slowed way down and seemed to be struggling, so in the next lane, I shot around him. The girl had stopped swimming and was now breast stroking, I guess she ran out of steam. Couldn't pass her due to people swimming both directions in the lane. In the last length I was able to get around the girl.
What would you do differently?:

Swim felt pretty good, I think I lined up in about the right place. Could possibly have gone a little faster but since it was very crowded in the pool (5 or 6 people in a lane and swimming both directions), I am not going to beat myself up.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Found bike (thank you to the big blue balloon person!) immediately. Had brought arm warmers and started to pull them on, but they stuck to wet skin. Abandoned that idea and just pulled long sleeve running shirt over my tri suit. That cost me a few seconds. Pulled on shoes and trotted out, then swung aboard and off I went.

Just do the shirt and not worry about arm warmers.
Bike
  • 44m 22s
  • 13 miles
  • 17.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like we had a headwind going out. Had to go into the little chain ring on the big hills. I held back on the way out, figuring with a tail wind I could really sail. But I guess it was a wierd crosswind, because the wind felt about the same going back. Passed a lot of people going back, felt like a pretty decent ride although I had trouble getting into a groove.

Push harder on the way out, not listen to people saying there would be a tailwind.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Where is my blue balloon??? Where is my stuff??? Argh!!! I am in the fourth rack. 1-2-3-4...I turn and go clear to the end of the rack, thinking the bikes seem closer together. They are!!! Surprise, I am in the wrong area! My stuff is way over there! Do I turn around and go all the way back? No, I drop down and duck under a rack, dragging poor Jack with me! It's beautiful, people are laughing and cheering for me from the sidelines. This costs me time but I am laughing about it. While changing out shoes, I notice that the balloon is dangling limply, completely flat. :(

Bring my own damned balloon!
Run
  • 35m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I was worried how I would do on this run, as two years ago I walked a LOT. Today was different, I found my legs immediately and kept things at a calm, steady pace, even on hills. Walked twice -once through a water stop and once on the last big hill. Not fast by some standards but I'm pretty happy.

Just need to work on speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slow!

Event comments:

Very nice race!

Last updated: 2010-12-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:22 | 300 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri Suit
Course: Pool swim in the PORTA high school. Very nice six-lane pool. You lined up according to your estimated swim time and every 8 seconds (I think) they let someone start. You swim down and back, then cross under to the next lane and repeat this, exiting via ladder at the far end. Swim time includes a run down the length of the pool and out the door. Water was nice and warm.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:22 | 13 miles | 17.58 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Course is kind of a straight shot out into the farm country. Starting about mile 5, you descend into a creek bottom, take a fairly sharp turn to the left and immediately climb a steep hill. It's an out and back so you tackle the hills again.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:06 | 03.1 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Picturesque course that goes through the historic section of Petersburg. Being a river town, it's pretty hilly. The last half mile is a long slow climb that goes past some beautiful mansions.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: Pioneer Sprint Triathlon

2011-04-18 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3452252

User image

Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Pioneer Sprint Triathlon
Great job!!!
2011-04-18 12:44 PM

User image

Melon Presser

I think you did great! Pool swims are always a cluster, and hey, you didn't hit anybody (I am a horrible rude swimmer).

Congratulations!!!

I am a big believer in balloons and I don't even mind (especially brightly colored) buckets. Let them sneer. My rackmates always thank me

2011-04-18 1:08 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Sweet work out there!  I hate the pool swim time estimation game.  Can never quite get where you really need to be in order to push the pace just that much more.....and getting stuck behind a brefast stroker just sucks.

Speedy biking!!  Nice that you found your run legs, too bad you couldn't find your rack as easily Tongue out 

(BTDT, usually can't find that myslef if I am actually hunting for my bike in the midst as opposed to having one of the few remaining bikes left on the rack from a lousy swim)

2011-04-18 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pekin, IL
Nice race.  I agree about the wind.  I was expecting a nice tailwind for the ride back in, but no such luck.  Sure didn't seem like a tailwind on the way out either.
2011-04-19 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Nice race! I have never ever ever experienced a tail wind. I think they are a myth!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pioneer Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed