FIRM Events
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 48m 15s
Overall Rank = 188/190
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

I have a very regimented routine. Thank God, I was with Ben and he shook that down a bit. I was more relaxed, and was helping him to become acquainted with multi-sport race morning. By helping him, I mean arguing with him, chiding him and harassing him in a friendly and loving way. I try to eat 200 calories for every hour before the race. At 6:30 I ate a small bowl of cheerios with little milk and packed an english muffin with little lowfat cream cheese for 7:30. I missed that mark by 30 minutes so I ate about a third of it.
Event warmup:

I walked around with Ben, parked my bike, and jogged in and out of the exits and entrances at the transition stations. I soaked in the friendliness (which I would rank between a 5K range and a tri range - tri being the friendliest and 5K being less friendly) and used the porta-potty. I didn't warm-up too much because I had been quite ill for so very long this winter and so very recently that I very literally wanted to save it ALL for the race. The night before I actually had trouble not coughing after long sentences (which OFTEN erupt from my mouth..ask Ben...OFTEN)
Run
  • 30m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a plan! Ben followed it with me, which was wicked cool. I was wasted by the end, but Ben pulled ahead like a champ. It was based on the track workout I skipped this week (remember? save it ALL for the DU!)4 minutes Warm UP then: 3 minutes hard, 1 minute rest, 2 minutes hard, 1 minute rest, 1 minute hard, 1 minute rest, REPEAT.
What would you do differently?:

Not be friggin' sick all GD winter :(
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

I was borderline lazy and definitely angry. I questioned my sanity and will to live.

Remember I'm a warrior princess and here to conquer.
Bike
  • 52m 39s
  • 11 miles
  • 12.54 mile/hr
Comments:

I hit a SERIOUS pothole! She swallowed up m' whole front tire and I practically had to wheelly to get 'er out. My body was bent the wrong way when I did this and I swear had I not had (honest to goodness) experience with buckin' broncs, I woulda' been in the thickets. Anyhoo, I stayed on and was good for another 1/2 mile or so. At that point, I estimate that I had passed close to 30 of the people that had passed ME on the run. I know this because at that 1/2 mile point, my tire gave up. I watched about 25 people pass me back for about 10 minutes as that repair guy (luckily) pulled up nearly 1 or 2 minutes within the time my tire went out. The mosquitoes were AMAZING. We were there for about two minutes before we were enveloped in a swarm the size of a Volkswagen. I shooed them away from my Knight in Shining Armor until he had finished saving me and then continued on with the race. I have to say, I wasn't AS gung-ho after that point. But I was stunned I wasn't in last place. I took a lot of pride in that - and I thought the folks struggling along were pretty awesome for keeping up the fight. I know all too well how hard the last runner/racer is working.

Be sharper. Also, I need a repair kit (not necessarily for these shorter races) and I need to learn how to fix my own tire) - I'm way to cool to be a damsel in distress ;)
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I forgot some of the old tricks here. I need to be sharper, visualize before I race.

Nothing much I was having fun. I told some strangers that I got a flat because my ego was hurting. I think that's pretty funny in hindsight.
Run
  • 21m 40s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I had the same plan, except: 5 minutes for getting used to jello legs, then: 3 minutes hard, 1 minute rest, 2 minutes hard, 1 minute rest, 1 minute hard, 1 minute rest, REPEAT.

Well, after the "5 minutes for getting used to jello legs" I hit a WALL. That first five minutes I felt ready to GO. I wish I had opened up there. I could have hit a wall and had a mile and a half to go - that would have been fine with me I think? I think I may have wasted some enthusiasm. Not sure? I did really enjoy this run, though. There was one jag bit of it where I wanted to give up because I didn't look ahead at the course map enough to know if it was out and back or not. I really do need time to visualize my whole day (nutrition, plan, race course) ahead of time. It helps me to relax and enjoy the whole thing a bit more. I did that for the most part, but that's what first races are for - reminders :)
Post race
Warm down:

I begged Ben to let me stretch, we watched the awards, marveled at how cool the AG winners were and then ate our fill at Denny's. A perfect day, really :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just coming off of being sick, no training for two weeks prior, a really tough winter. All that said, I did my best and I feel great about this race :)

Event comments:

AWESOME volunteers - thank you! A little more clear for back of the pack bikers, please :)

Last updated: 2011-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:39 | 03 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 182/190
Performance: Average
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:49
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
00:52:39 | 11 miles | 12.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 112/190
Performance: Good
I GOT A FLAT! It took about 10 minutes to fix.
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Hilly is somewhat of an understatement IMO. I'm used to it (wicked hillyness) living in Shelburne Falls - but it was challenging. I actually laughed out loud at one group of warrior women who had dismounted up a particularly nasty monster and were pushing their bikes up it - one was calling out SERIOUSLY with the vigor of one giving birth (I would know). Sorry to say, but this energized my as I cranked past them. I felt like I could do anything, and I began to peddle HARD even on the downhills. I was a little loopy from the exertion when I decided to check on my gear status when...
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:21:40 | 02 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/6
Overall: 178/190
Performance: Average
Course: VERY nice loop through a (campus?) Just lovely.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-04-18 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Wrenthem Duathlon

2011-04-18 12:47 PM
in reply to: #3452589

User image

Sunderland
Subject: RE: Wrenthem Duathlon

Excellent job yesterday.  I'm sorry I jinxed you with my "You don't carry a spare tube or patch kit?" comment in the parking lot.  I should have known better.  Rookie mistake.  Next time I'll keep my yapper shut.

Thanks for making the trip with me.  It would not have been the same without you, for serious.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wrenthem Duathlon Rss Feed