General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chickened out of my first Masters Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-04-19 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3454887

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Chickened out of my first Masters Swim
Go, swim, make some friends, get faster.  I swam at a masters program I adored for 2 years (I moved 1400 miles away so I don't swim there any more)  While none of us were very fast the coach was excellent......but the KIDS at that pool were ridiculous.  There is a 10 year girl old who swims a 500 in 5:05.  Talk about humbling.  Go,learn have fun and smoke your next IM swim

And I used to swim at a Y where there were these 2 older guys......they would hold 1:10/100 for 2000 or so.  I talked to the older fo the 2 and it turned out he was world record holder in his age group (60-64) for 1500 yrds....pretty cool

Edited by Socks 2011-04-19 7:07 PM

2011-04-19 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3455555

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

Hot Runner - 2011-04-19 4:41 PM LOL about the 200 fly. I used to swim it competitively on occasion and just hearing that would send me running to the door. Is that hyperbole or did he really tell them to do it for warmdown? If the latter, I'd really question the competence of the coach!  On the level, a good coach will differentiate for different ability levels. We are having a similar "intimidation" issue with our current master's coach. Many of the master's swimmers (or potential ones) show up later due to other committments (you have the option to do a 60 or 90 minute workout) and when they see myself and two teenagers doing some killer workout (well, I'm trying to do it), they say "OMG", and never come back. But when slower swimmers have shown up, he's been very patient, even getting into the water to help them improve their strokes. He's spent a lot of time working with me on bilateral breathing, which I've struggled with for years. Definitely worth the $8.50 per workout, in my book. I would suck it up, go a few times, and see if he's giving you the feedback and help you need. If not, you might be better off with some lessons and practice on your own or with a few buddies until your fitness and confidence improves. 

He said it, but jokingly.  The medal stuff was made up though

Thanks for the advice.  There aren't alot of swim coaches in this area unless I want to go to LA or Orange County which are both 70 miles away.  I'm at a point now where I need some form of instruction to improve. 

2011-04-19 7:50 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
I empathize with your situation.  However, in March I finally went to a MSC and it was the best decision I've made.  In fact, I'm mad I didn't go sooner.  When I started w/ MSC I was a one trick pony with my freestyle-only swim ability.  However, I have ventured into trying the butterfly.  The first attempt wasn't nearly as disasterous as I initially imagined; swam the 25 yd length of the pool on my first try, which surprised me.  The thing I have learned with MSC is that everyone is very friendly and patient, which is contrary to my initial assumption that all MSC would be full of elitists who are seriously accomplished swimmers.  Granted, we have some great swimmers in my MSC, but we have a lot of new swimmers like me, too.

Edited by betyoursilver 2011-04-19 7:54 PM
2011-04-19 10:21 PM
in reply to: #3455608

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
furiousferret - 2011-04-19 5:16 AM

Thanks for the advice.  There aren't alot of swim coaches in this area unless I want to go to LA or Orange County which are both 70 miles away.  I'm at a point now where I need some form of instruction to improve. 

Heck, it would be faster to drive over here to Palm Springs. The masters class is at 5:00 am. You should go so you can tell me how it is

2011-04-20 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
I too am a terrible swimmer and intimidated by those that are.  I purchased a kodak waterproof video camera ($119) to see what i look like swimming.  It has been a great tool. I have to see myself before i can correct what i am doing wrong.
2011-04-20 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3455848

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Pacific John - 2011-04-19 8:21 PM
furiousferret - 2011-04-19 5:16 AM

Heck, it would be faster to drive over here to Palm Springs. The masters class is at 5:00 am. You should go so you can tell me how it is

No thanks!

Though I was there last weekend on a hike through that Indian Oasis.  Absolutely beautiful.

2011-04-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3456467

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

thowell63 - 2011-04-20 8:16 AM I too am a terrible swimmer and intimidated by those that are.  I purchased a kodak waterproof video camera ($119) to see what i look like swimming.  It has been a great tool. I have to see myself before i can correct what i am doing wrong.

I've done that and it sort of helps.  The problem I have is you notice what you are doing wrong and correct it but the correction may be wrong as well.

2011-04-20 2:32 PM

Extreme Veteran

You will get better if you swim with a USMS team.  I have seen dozens of dozens of tri newbies improve substantially.  Yes, it can be intimidating but a good coach will have lanes for all levels and will be willing to train you.  I swim with about 60 swimmers  a day, many former D1 and OT qualifiers.  We rarely do a 200 fly.  When I see that I take the "masters prerogative" and do a 200 back.

And, there is no such thing as a "masters class."  That makes no sense.  Masters refers to USMS, an organization like USAT.  

2011-04-20 10:59 PM
in reply to: #3455019

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Fastyellow - 2011-04-19 1:23 PM

Doing anything for the first time just plain sucks. You don't know the routine, who to talk to, where to go, where to put your stuff, what lane to get in, all that crap....

But it's just crap. So what if you mess up, get in the wrong lane, swim an extra 50 cause you're not paying attention, don't know what the coach means with his weird a$$ acronyms. You'll get it in a couple sessions, make some new friends and be well on your way to becoming a comfortable regular.

The first day is always lame and will undoubtedly have a good story to go along with it. Like you walked into the girls locker room by accident or something similar. What's the worst that could possibly happen? Seriously, think about the worst possible scenario....I bet it's really not that bad ; )

Great post So true! 

2011-04-21 12:17 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

Update:

Yesterday I was told by my Tri Club that they are experimenting with a possible Masters Program in Redlands and the sessions are free.  I went this morning, the coach told me what to do, and did about 2000 yards.  I didn't get much instruction but didn't ask for it either.  I was probably the slowest guy there but not the point where I stood out, and was pretty comfortable with the workout.

I believe this group is more triathlon driven, although a few of the guys are pretty fast and the coaches are HS swim team coaches.  So far so good.

2011-04-21 4:56 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Awe, go back and talk to the coach. He/she will put you in a lane that will be good for you.

From what I understand, Masters groups have slow to fast lanes.

And honestly, the people in the fast lane, aren't paying one bit of attention to anyone outside of their lane. So don't think they'll be paying attention to you.

You can't get better if you aren't willing to try to swim with faster people. Get in there and learn how to swim faster!

2011-04-21 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3459643

User image

KSH - 2011-04-21 2:56 PM Awe, go back and talk to the coach. He/she will put you in a lane that will be good for you. From what I understand, Masters groups have slow to fast lanes. And honestly, the people in the fast lane, aren't paying one bit of attention to anyone outside of their lane. So don't think they'll be paying attention to you. You can't get better if you aren't willing to try to swim with faster people. Get in there and learn how to swim faster!

Hot girls excepted

2011-04-21 9:23 PM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
ummmmm 200 fly for a cool down???  Im not trying to be a jerk but I say bull !!  No one does 200 fly for a cool down.  Suck it up buttercup get back in there!!
2011-04-22 3:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Avon, Indiana

On Mondays and Wednesdays I always swim in the lane NEXT to the masters swim people.  Since we are all at the Y at 5:00 and are usually waiting in line to check in we talk from time to time.  I usually ask them about their recent swim meets and such.  All seem really really nice.  Having said that, I'm not much of a 'group' person and since I'm swimming on my lunch hour and don't have an unlimited amount of time, I doubt I will join them anytime soon. 

2011-04-22 4:48 AM

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY

furiousferret - 2011-04-19 12:22 PM I know eventually I'm just going to have to take the plunge.  . . . I don't think I can get where I need to go swimming on my own. 

As many have noted here, there are many different 'personalities' among Masters groups. Sometimes influenced by the coach's mindset, sometimes by that of the members.'

I believe there may be more good reasons to choose to practice on your own -- and a few good reasons to practice with a Masters group. I swam with a Masters group in New Paltz from the early 90s to the mid-00s. Since then I've swum on my own. I get a lot more accomplished in less time, swimming solo. However, having coached swimming since 1972, I'm never at a loss for good practice ideas.

Here are a few reasons for swimming solo

1) Masters workouts are an industrialized approach to training. They're designed to address the goals, desires and abilities of a large number of people, not to address your particular abilities and goals.

2) The primary experience of many Masters coaches - which influences their workout design and coaching style - is coaching competitive swimmers age 10 to 20. The motivations, abilities and mindset of adults is very different. 

3) While the majority of most Masters groups today are people who swim for triathlon or fitness -- i.e. whose goal is to swim a mile or more and feel energized, not exhausted, afterward . . . not to swim a breathless 100m (let alone 200 Fly) . . . the Masters program still has a strong dose of 'swim meet' in its DNA, leading to an inherent tension. If adult endurance-swimming programs were as available as typical Masters programs, I believe they'd be far better attended.

The reasons I can think of to swim with Masters include:

1) The social aspects

2) The opportunity to accustom oneself to a variety of pressures and distractions that you will face during a race.

3) The adaptive potential of swimming a range of strokes, speeds and distances can benefit even those whose goal is mainly to swim a mile or more of freestyle in open water - then ride and run.

However #s 2&3 will yield positive outcomes only after your efficiency is fairly good and fairly durable. If you can find a Masters coach who actually does coaching -- rather than mainly yell Ready Go -- there's a possibility you could achieve that while swimming with a group . . . so long as you supplement with some solo practice intensively focused on form. Otherwise you're much better practicing solo - supplemented with lessons or some form of self-help tools.

Edited by Total Immersion 2011-04-22 4:50 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chickened out of my first Masters Swim Rss Feed  

of 2