General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you carry your hydration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-01 5:34 AM

Master
STL
Subject: How do you carry your hydration
I have a rear mount...is this the best set up for IM in the opinion of those who have done it? I just lost my bottle of infinite not even half way through a 3 hour ride yesterday and didn't realize it. It's not the first time my bottles have flown out.

2011-05-01 5:40 AM
in reply to: #3475575

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: How do you carry your hydration
Well having bottles behind your saddle is not a good idea. The air is very turbulent there and as you seen you lose things. Also with the turbulence makes it bot very aero. Look into getting a speedfil or an aqua cell. Good luck in your IMScott
2011-05-01 6:35 AM

I take hand ups and put them in a cage that's zip tied between my aerobars.  If you want to race with Infinite, you could put it on your down tube.  Simple and aero.
2011-05-01 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

In training I *might* use the rear cages but not in races.  I find that I don't trust them.  I will ride with my nutrition (2-3 hour bottle) on the frame, put water in my aero bottle and another water bottle in my jersey (in training).  This will get me through 3+ hours.  Anything longer and I make a stop at a gas station. 

When I race HIM+, nutrition on the downtube and water only in the aero bottle.  I grab water at each aid station. 

2011-05-01 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3475652

User image

Veteran
Golden Valley, MN
+1 on this ^^^
2011-05-01 8:51 AM

Extreme Veteran

I switched to an Xlab sonic wing and specilized Rib Cage bottle holders. They have ribs inside that grip the bottles. This solved my problem. I like having the bottles behing me as I don't like to stop to refill.

Kevin

2011-05-01 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I'm like some above.  I use rear cages in training but not in races.  As for ejecting bottles, you just need to experiment a bit to find cages that will not eject.  I use those cheap aluminum one because you can bend them a bit to make them grip the bottles more tightly.  I don't drink from the rear bottles on the ride.  I just swap them out when the ones on the front get empty.

In a race, I have one bottle on the down tube filled with strong sports drink, and one on the aero-bars (mounted 'torpedo' style) with water.  I swap the water bottle out at aid stations.

2011-05-01 6:02 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
I have the larger aero bottle with 2 chambers.  I usually put water in 1 and a roughly 50-50 mix of water and sports drink in the other.  For long rides, I will usually throw 1 or 2 bottles in my frame cages.  For races, I'll usually only put 1 bottle in a frame cage, and use it to refill the aero when it gets low, swapping it for a spare one at an aid station when it's empty.
2011-05-01 7:21 PM

Master
STL
Thanks for the tips.
2011-05-02 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3476427

User image

Master

I think the aero bottle is good for IM simply because the straw located right by your mouth makes you drink more.  For the race, I put water in that (it splashes, so not good for other stuff) and two bottles of GU Electrolyte Brew on the down tubes and put my hand-ups in the rear holders to swap out for the tube bottles as necessary.  For a hot IM, a bottle of water in the rear cage is also good to douse yourself to cool off and it's not a big crisis if it falls out. 

If you are running Infinit, I would definitely stick with nutrition bottles on the downtubes to avoid losing your nutrition.  FWIW, I would also strongly consider starting with Infinit and then living off of the course if possible.  Less hassle, more simple.

For training, I definitely use the rear cages for my water and nutrition.  On a long ride, I carry powdered GU Brew in a flask and stop at a gas station or local park for water to refill/mix. 

2011-05-02 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3475577

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

shellback1998 - 2011-05-01 6:40 AM

having bottles behind your saddle is not a good idea. . Also with the turbulence makes it not very aero.

Any real numbers on this?

ETA - I see plenty of pros using rear mount hydration

Edited by mrbbrad 2011-05-02 12:42 PM

2011-05-05 12:19 AM

User image

Veteran
WA
I have never lost a bottle out of my Profile Design rear cages. Unfortunately the clamp dosn't fit on my new bikes seat post so no rear cages for me this year. Planning on using what is on the course. I'll use my areo sipper and one bottle on the down tube and refill as needed. As far as training I have just been parking my car somewhere handy and refilling from water bottles, etc. in it.
2015-09-23 9:03 AM
in reply to: goobergirl98

User image

No one use Hydration Pack? why not.

Maybe I'm to new in the sport...
2015-09-23 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I use Speedfil frame mount (original model) and rear cages.

It might not be the best but it works well for me. I don't like bottles on my handlebars.
Normally I use the rear cages for the aid station hand offs. Speedfil is my main water source

2015-09-24 10:45 AM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

For run do you use belt botle no one use only back pack hydratation pack for run and cycling?
2015-09-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: mrbbrad

Master
, California

Originally posted by mrbbrad

shellback1998 - 2011-05-01 6:40 AM

having bottles behind your saddle is not a good idea. . Also with the turbulence makes it not very aero.

Any real numbers on this?

ETA - I see plenty of pros using rear mount hydration

Drag is minimal if the bottle is hugging the saddle.  And the launching issue, same thing - angle the bottle slightly, and use an appropriate holder... in other words, XLab gorilla, and it isn't going anywhere.  1 bottle placed there is usually more aero than 2.

Real world (from ST):

http://www.thebikeracer.com/visiting-a2-wind-tunnel

#9, tested almost neutral with 2 bottles.

2015-09-24 2:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by eriled

For run do you use belt botle no one use only back pack hydratation pack for run and cycling?

no generally nothing carried on the run, rely 100% on aid stations (road tris)

Edited by metafizx 2015-09-24 2:45 PM
2015-09-25 6:42 PM
in reply to: eriled

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't do full IM but I do train and race for HIM in extreme heat/humidity--no, would not use a backpack style hydration pack when tri training or racing. I do use it for some MTB rides and tours, though. The plus is you can carry a lot of water. The minus is it's really not aero, and can lead to chafing as it is in contact with your body, especially on the run. Another big minus is that you can't see how many fluids you're taking in since the pack is behind you and inside a bag. I tend to under-hydrate when I do treks, tours, or MTB rides with the pack. I always try to keep a bottle or two on the frame, and just use the pack for refills or back-up.

For tri training and racing, I have bottle on my bike frame, an aero bottle, and a rear mount (Profile Design) that carries two bottles. What matters is the size of the bottles. I use a particular set and those have never ejected. They're a bit shorter and fatter than the Polar bottles I use on the frame. This past summer I went riding with Mom and we accidentally got our bottles switched--hers was smaller (one of my old run bottles) and it ejected from my rear mount--never did find it as I didn't notice when it did so. Definitely work out which bottles work well before race day.

As for running, I rarely use the Camelback. It bounces, is too hot and again, hard to monitor your hydration. I have a Nathan waist pack that holds a bottle slightly diagonal to my waist, which is very comfortable. I use it for training runs under about 75 minutes, HIM races (so I can drink whenever I want) and even for some Olys if conditions are extreme or they serve something I can't drink. I can't tolerate sugary drinks, so unless I'm really sure what a race serves on course, or it's a cool Oly or a sprint, I always carry my own drink and just take water from the aid stations. Not sure how I would deal with this in full IM, though. Probably carry the tabs so I could refill my bottle with water and drop them in. Maybe most people don't have the sugary drink issue and could just "live off the course", though.

For long runs (75-90 minutes plus, depending on weather), I have a North Face waist pack that carries two bottles. I need this as it's not possible to refill with tap water here. It can be hard to find a waist pack that doesn't bounce or chafe, but probably more of an issue for smaller women than others.

2015-09-26 8:52 PM

User image

Unlike HotRunner, I do use a camelback on the bike, but only as a back-up. My first HIM is next Sunday (October 4th) and I'm planning on using it then.

I have a Profile Design aerobottle between my aero bars and that is where I get all my water from. I have a bottle on the diagonal tube that goes from the handlebars to the rear post, and will use that to refill the aerobottle when it goes empty. I only use the camelback when I've exhausted both of these bottles.

I do not use the camelback on runs. I find it moves around too much on the run and it just gets uncomfortable. In training runs I've just dealt with the lack of water, but on race day I'll take in water at the aid stations.

Unlike most others on here, I don't use any sports drinks. I've never cared for the taste of them and just don't care for them, so I simply go with water. For actual nutrition needs I've found that the honey stingers gummies work best for me. In training I've found that having a few of them every 7.5 miles works best for me for long rides (5 miles seemed like I was eating too frequently, but 10 miles seems tol infrequently). I keep them loose in a bento box on my tube and just reach in when I need to eat. It works well for me.
2015-09-27 1:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Might feel differently about the Camelback if it wasn't so f.... hot here. It's just one more thing making me hotter--no way! As for nutrition, I have a pretty unorthodox approach. After a couple of years of gagging on gu and just getting sick of it in general in longer races, I switched to mainly (at IM Vietnam 70.3) and then only (at Toughman 70.3 in July) dark chocolate on the bike. Lots of experimenting with the viability and logistics of this, which i documented in a thread last spring and summer. All I can say is, it works for me. Yes, I know, supposedly too much fat yada yada. But no GI issues on run or bike, ever, and it gives me a steady supply of energy for longer training and races, none of the problems with energy spikes and dips, nausea, and gagging that I had with gu.

Prior to developing the chocolate solution, I had a couple of 62 km bike legs (international distance tri) where I came very close to puking on gu, and one 4-hour race where I could only get down one gu, so compared to that, the chocolate is awesome. I don't think it would work as a sole nutrition source for full IM, but I'd probably mix it up with other solid foods, some less sweet.(Do they still have Payday bars?) I save the gu for the run and use a really thin kind (Power Bar Tangerine) which tastes awful (like salty OJ) but at least doesn't usually trigger my world-class gag reflex. That kind of gu also has caffeine and electrolytes in it.

It got a bit of attention at my last race. Everyone was taping five or six gus to their bike or mixing some kind of fancy sports drinks, and I just had a little baggie with chocolate squares in it in my bento box, and two gus in my hydration belt for the run. "That's all?" several people asked. Yep. It worked great. YMMV.

Edited by Hot Runner 2015-09-27 1:40 AM
2015-10-01 10:27 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by goobergirl98

I have a rear mount...is this the best set up for IM in the opinion of those who have done it? I just lost my bottle of infinite not even half way through a 3 hour ride yesterday and didn't realize it. It's not the first time my bottles have flown out.

for an Ironman, I use a torhans aero 30 up front, and a torhans VR on the downtube. the VR will be for nutrition (concentrated), the aero 30 for water (+ electrolytes). the VR won't launch, although it can come out of the grooves and rattle in very rough terrain. if i know i'll be riding in that kind of terrain, i'll put a thick rubber band over the bottle/holder. works well, for me.

i don't use bottles behind the seat. if you do, and as previously mentioned, put it as close as you can to the seat and angle it. i don't like this option much b/c you have to break aero to reach for it, and it makes mounting/dismounting a little more difficult. i've done long rides where it was hard to swing the leg up and over the bottle.

2015-10-01 11:27 AM
in reply to: eriled

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by eriled No one use Hydration Pack? why not. Maybe I'm to new in the sport...

On the bike, in training, I'll use a hydration pack for almost every outdoor ride (mine tend to be longer, weekend rides). Races will be a bottle or two. Refill for longer races, as needed.

For the run, I have used a belt w/bottle for longer runs. If I go long enough again, I'll likely give packs a try. Waistband tends to have my hips tilted wrong. Never carried any in a race. Just used on course.

2015-10-12 5:28 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
I'm one of the ones that uses a Hydration pack when training on the bike. I feel like a dork and I know it's not very aero, but heck, if I'm training, the more I have to work the better!
It's been over 100 degrees for so many of my long rides training for IMAZ that I take in a TON of water, and don't want to be constantly refilling bottles. The last ride I did was almost 7 hours and I went thru 3L of water from my camel bak (had to refill once) and 3 bottles of electrolyte when I did stop (2 times). It would drive me nuts to have to stop so many times to refill and I've had dehydration issues lately, so the more liquids I can carry the better. Plus I can carry a lot of crap (extra tubes, nutrition, my phone and not feel like I have so much stuff hanging out of my pockets.
Just for training though, I won't use it for the race.

For the race I plan to use a bottle of electrolytes on my down tube, and a aero bottle with water…will just refill those at the aid stations on the fly.

Same goes for my longer runs. I found that I was getting so thirsty and planning certain stops around water fountains or carrying my handheld was getting annoying. I invested in a running hydration pack by Nathan and I LOVE IT!!!! No chafing, it doesn't bounce and I can carry all my stuff and not have to stop.
It will come in handy this fall when I start trail running again and the water stops are few and far between!

On the bike I stick with solid forms of nutrition (bars and gels) and will switch to liquid forms for the run - that's the plan for the race at least!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you carry your hydration Rss Feed