Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Open Water Options Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-05 3:28 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Open Water Options
I know it's a bit early in the season but I'm making the move from pools to open water this year and am wondering where you can practice around here? I live just outside Calgary and don't have access to the cities private lake communities. Any suggestions from those of you with experience in this? I would love if there was a group that swam together to help me make the switch...

2011-05-05 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3484187

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Open Water Options

Not alot of options.....Ghost lake- really, really cold!! Sylvan Lake/Gull Lake - bit of a drive.

Need to make friends with someone in a lake community. We have a friend in Arbour Lake which makes it nice.

2011-05-05 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3484270

User image

Regular
Has anyone had much experience in Lake Chestermere? It's closer to me than some of the other options but all the power boats make me nervous...
2011-05-06 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3484298

User image

Regular
Do you know many people in Calgary?  I posted a facebook status asking for help from anyone that lives in a lake community.  I had someone volunteer to get me in to Lake Chapparal.  She's more an acquaintance, so I probably wouldn't have thought to ask her.
2011-05-06 3:04 PM

User image

Regular

Unfortunately I don't know too many people in the city. I've asked around, so we'll see... might have to make some new acquaintances.

It's tough isn't it? Then again living in the Northern Prairies I probably should have known swim training wouldn't be easy...

2011-05-08 1:26 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
I live near Chestermere too, and want to OWS there too..I've only been in the water near  the shore, there's lots of weeds in the lake and lots of boats. My plan is to have someone in a dingy next to me so I don't get ran over....Or go with someone else to be seen easier. I'd be up for it though! Whenever the ice goes away

2011-05-08 5:03 PM
in reply to: #3487845

User image

Veteran
Calgary

rydergal - 2011-05-08 12:26 PM I live near Chestermere too, and want to OWS there too..I've only been in the water near  the shore, there's lots of weeds in the lake and lots of boats. My plan is to have someone in a dingy next to me so I don't get ran over....Or go with someone else to be seen easier. I'd be up for it though! Whenever the ice goes away

TB - K's recently aquired 2 kayaks, so we could take turns spotting each other if you want to try Chestermere ... or you can just come on down to Auburn Bay with me where it's safer! Laughing

2011-05-09 12:09 PM

User image

This is a little bit of a drive, but one place that I found which was great to swim in was one of the lakes up by the Canmore Nordic Centre.  I swam there first for an Xterra last August and thought it was great, super clear water, no boat traffic to worry about, and a nice beach.

Only catch is of course the fact that its a little cooler up there but it isn't a huge body of water so it doesn't take a lot of time to warm up.  Lots of people in the area use it as the go to lake in the summer time. 

2011-05-09 2:48 PM

User image

Regular

I would love someone to spot with on either Chestermere or Auburn Bay...

I don't know anyone other than myself and my husband who run triathlon. My busy family life has made it a little tricky to join too many clubs or training groups!

As soon as it starts to warm up a little you should contact me and see if we can't arrange something... I got a great deal on a wetsuit I've never had a chance to wear!

2011-05-09 2:50 PM

User image

Regular

I don't mind the drive to Canmore but am looking for a closer option where I could fit it into the day as opposed to having to make a day out of it...

I am racing in Canmore this year and it might be an idea for me to head out that way and check out the actual lake before then.

2011-05-30 1:05 PM

I might have a solution for y'all and any other interested Calgary Open water Swimmers.

I live in Elbow Valley where there is a swimming lake/pond.  There will be a triathlon held there in June : Joes team Event. See maps etc here .?

http://albertacancer.ca/joesteam

If anyone is interested, we can schedule a regular time  to swim the pond. I have a kayak too but no roof rack to carry it to the pond from my garage. As a resident here, I can surely invite my 'friends' to swim with me. I'd have to be here with y'all and we'd be discreet with parking and so forth so as not to annoy the residents who get cranky about privacy etc...you know how it goes.

The water in the pond is COLD...wetsuits would be a must, I believe. Especially now...in these early season days.

Reach me on : [email protected] if interested.

I don't want to swim alone so would enjoy the fun of a group swim right here. I can also swim during the day so can schedule a time to suit most of us.  Let me know your preferred day of the week and preferred time. We'll see how many respond with interest and make a time that works for most of us. Own risk and all of that.

????

2011-05-30 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3524500

User image

Regular

I am in!

I'll e-mail you with my contact info and we can see if we could make a time work for us...

2011-06-02 8:32 AM

Calgary

Has anyone been to Sikome Lake to train previously. Looks ideal with showers and guards, but not sure how busy it gets?

2011-06-02 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
I haven't been there in years but it used to get VERY busy.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Open Water Options Rss Feed