General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans vs Races with Climbs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-15 1:12 PM

Regular
Subject: Training plans vs Races with Climbs

So I'm signed up for my first Oly this July, the Boulder Peak.  This course's main feature is a massive brutal climb on the bike course, which I am pretty nervous about, because I think I'm either not going to have energy for it after the swim, or I'll bust my butt over the climb then have nothing left for the run.

I know that to build endurance getting a plan and sticking with it regularly is key, but the BT Oly plans don't seem to have much in there for building climbing strength.

What do people recommend for working in climb days on the bike with the olympic plans?  I'm on the intermediate Oly plan now but I may need to switch to one of the "balanced" plans in June/July because work is picking up, so advice for the time-constrained would be appreciated, too.

2011-05-15 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3499996

User image

Subject: RE: Training plans vs Races with Climbs
Spinervals or Carmichael Training System with climbing. Both of those sets of trainer DVDs include climb specific workouts.

2011-05-15 1:23 PM

Regular
I sort of meant more like, how do I adjust the training plans to allow for working harder on a climb?  I don't want to overtrain by sticking rigidly to a plan that thinks I'm not working as hard as I am.  How do you balance building endurance and building strength?
2011-05-15 1:34 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
I just go ride hills.
2011-05-15 1:44 PM
in reply to: #3500006

User image

Alukonis - 2011-05-15 2:23 PM

I sort of meant more like, how do I adjust the training plans to allow for working harder on a climb?  I don't want to overtrain by sticking rigidly to a plan that thinks I'm not working as hard as I am.  How do you balance building endurance and building strength?

On the run I would be concerned about it. On the bike, just go ride hills.

2011-05-15 1:56 PM

Regular
Really that simple?  Awesome!  Thanks guys!  My paranoia of screwing up my training has been assuaged.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training plans vs Races with Climbs Rss Feed