Revolution 3
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 27m 38s
Overall Rank = 91/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on Friday night and got checked in to our room. My wife and I went out for a really nice dinner near to the hotel. It was very relaxing to be on a trip with my wife, without the kids. I woke up early on Saturday and went for the practice swim. The water was cold and seemed pretty grungy to me. I was glad to get this in because I don't think it would have been all that great to have race morning be my first foray into the Tennessee river. Rode the bike about eight miles and ran about two on Saturday. Pizza for a late lunch/early dinner. To bed early and no problem falling asleep. Up at 5:15 am on race day, big bowl of oatmeal, cup of coffee, banana, repacked bag, walked down to transition and set up.
Event warmup:

Got my wetsuit on early because it was darn cold in the breeze. Talked to a bunch of folks around me in transition adn then walked down to watch the pros start and finish their race. Man are they awesome.
Swim
  • 27m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have never been a "good" swimmer but thiw went very well and I am happy. I felt incredibly comfortable in the water. The fast swimmers from the wave behind me overtook me about 700 yards in to the swim and they were flying. It gives me something to work toward.
What would you do differently?:

Start swimming as a child instead of at age 37.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

The line to get out of transition was really, really long. I have been practicing my running bike mount so when I got near the start line I ran past about 30 people, hopped on the bike and I was gone. I felt pretty cool about this. Funny story, as I grabbed my bike to run out of transition there is a guy, LAYING DOWN in the middle of the aisle, trying valiantly to get off his wetsuit and completely blocking my egress from T1. I picked my bike up and jumped over him and as I did, poured the entire contents of my profile aero drink, cold infinite, approx 30 oz, on this guy. Funny, except for now I am headed out on bike with NO FLUIDS at all.

Not get stuck behind so many people at the bike mount line. Not dump out my hydration/nutrition for the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 13m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Thank goodness for that abandoned bottle of gatorade.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Flying dismount worked out almost as cool as te mount. I put on socks per plan which slowed my about 10 seconds. Otherwise very happy with this transition.
Run
  • 43m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is my strength. I was advised to go out under control so that is exactly what I did. I really practiced drinking on the fly at the aid stations as this is a skill I need to develop. At about mile 2.5 an 18 year old woman, track star appearance, came buzzing by me. I decided that I was well under control and that I could probably run with her so I picked up the pace and followed her. My garmin said that we were running 6:30-40 for the next three miles and like I said, I just followed her (I hope she didn't think I was a lecherous old man). When we were nearing transition (the finish is about 0.6 miles past transition) the course took a decided up hill turn and I realized that I felt really strong. I passed my young pacer and took off. I have not looked at the final half mile pace but I was really moving and left her way behind by the finish line. As I was nearing the line I heard my wife cheer for me but could not pick her out of the crowd. It was awesome running down the shoot and across the finish.

Start just a little bit faster. I would like to get my 10 k run down close to 40 minutes so I have a goal to work toward.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to transition. Talked to folks that I had met before the race. Socialized. Drank way too much fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This felt really good for a first race of the season. Train harder.

Event comments:

This is an excellent race and I highly recommend it. We drove eight hours to do this race and I would do it again.

Last updated: 2011-05-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/
Overall: 130/
Performance: Good
Swim went awesome. I got kicked, hit and swam over more than any prior race but I just stayed within myself and swam. I really felt good in the water, my sighting was spot on, swam straight and just generally happy with this swim.
Suit: zoot wetsuit
Course: 300-400 yards up river, round the buoys and then the rest down river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:32
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:00 | 24.85 miles | 20.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/
Overall: 117/
Performance:
Did I mention no fluids. At mile 10 there was an aid station that I rode through and missed the handoff of gatorade from two separate volunteers. Totally my fault but now I have 15 more miles to go and still no fluids. About 300 yards out of the aid station I see a full bottle of red gatorade (not my favorite but beggars can't be choosers) on the side of the road. I decide that 30 seconds lost is a small price to pay for some precious liquids. Stop the bike, grab the gatorade and fill my aerodrink. At last, sweet nourishment.
Wind: Some
Course: Tough course with lots of hills. I loved it. This was a really fun ride for me. I got to red line a couple times climbing the hills. I am a pretty small rider so I am well suited for climbing and really liked this.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:14 | 06.21 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/
Overall: 91/
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat run until the last 1/2 mile where there was a lot of climbing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-05-17 2:59 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon

2011-05-19 6:10 AM
in reply to: #3504544

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon
WOW!  Great job....a flying dismount and sub 7s on the run?  Beautiful.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed