General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring Training for Open Water/TriSwim Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-05-19 5:26 PM

User image

Veteran
New Paltz NY
Subject: Spring Training for Open Water/TriSwim Season
Just as baseball players have spring training before the season, so can swimmers as they transition from pool racing in multiple disciplines and relatively short distances to longer races most likely swum freestyle. 
Some of this training may be done in open water, but most will likely be in the pool. Still, pool practices can be easily adapted to prepare for open water races. I'll use this thread to post my pool practices - at least those I think of as consciously aimed at tuning my stroke for open water races. Perhaps others can share their OW-prep practices as well.

From Dec until two weeks ago, my practices were heavily focused on training in all strokes, because my goals included placing Top 10 at USMS Nationals in multiple disciplines. My training is normally 80% focused on distance freestyle. This year I reversed the percentage with about 80% focused on the other strokes and IM. I enjoyed it a lot, feel fresher mentally coming into open water season and my fitness may be better than usual at this point. I already plan to do the same in 2012.

I normally begin open water swimming by early May (in 50F water) but this year I've stayed pool-bound. I'll probably get my first lake swims this weekend.

My primary constraint is being limited to about 3000 yds, because my calves and feet start to go into terminal cramping after 100+ pushoffs. Consequently I try to devote every precious lap to honing skills I feel are critical for racing effectively in open water races of 1 mile to 5k. That means no warmup. I start my first task on my first lap.
I practice solo at noon during open swim at the local college. Most of the time I split a lane, so no need to circle.
Here was today's practice:
Thurs May 19, 3000 yds at SUNY New Paltz

Swim 200-400-600-800-1000 Free on interval of 3:15/200

I set two goals:
1) Maintain stroke count at 14SPL as far as possible in each repeat, going to 15 when the effort to hold 14 degraded my tempo.
2) Try to increase pace as distance increased.
Results
200 - 2:56 (1:28/100)
400 - 5:47 (1:26/100)
600 - 8:33 (1:25.5/100)
800 - 11:22 (1:25.2/100) I increased to 15 SPL at about 400 on this.
1000 - 13:53 (1:23/100) I started at 14SPL and went to 15 at 200 -- then to 16 at 700 yds because I began getting foot/calf cramps.

When I do a set like this I don't judge the first repeat as good, bad, fast or slow. It's just a data point and tells me what it will take to improve or accomplish the goal I set. Going 2:56 for the 200 simply told me I needed to aim for under 5:52 on the 400, while holding 14SPL.

The main value of a set like this is in honing my ability to increase Stroke Rate, while keeping Stroke Length constant. Race analysis on the USA Swimming site has indicated this skill is the most constant factor separating race winners from also-rans.

Being able to increase SR, while holding SL as distance increases takes a lot of practice. If I can do this effectively during pool practice, my chances of at least holding SL relatively constant as I increase SR during the latter stages of an OW race should be much enhanced. Plus I can measure my performance exactly in the pool. In OW it's entirely subjective.

2011-05-19 5:33 PM
in reply to: #3508858

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Subject: RE: Spring Training for Open Water/TriSwim Season

Since reading one of your earlier posts I always incorporate stroke rate drills into my workouts.  At 6' even I should be in the 14 - 17 strokes per length range however that takes a lot out of me.  

So I have settled for 19 strokes per length for now and sometimes it falls to 21.  But at least I'm trying.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spring Training for Open Water/TriSwim Season Rss Feed