General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kansas City, Missouri
United States
United Multisport
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m
Overall Rank = 295/
Age Group = 40/44
Age Group Rank = 37/
Pre-race routine:

This was my 1st Olympic distance. I have done 3 sprints over the years. I followed a professional training plan for this race to a T and amy nutrition was very good leading up to the event. After arriving to the park I had penty of water, a gel and banana before the swim.
Event warmup:

Just stretched and tried to calm my breathing. I felt very confident and ready for this race (this feeling quickly changed).
Swim
  • 34h 36m
  • 1640 yards
  • 2h 06m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Although my time was not the worst ever, this was for whatever reason a brutual swim for many people, me included. I saw at least a handful of people swim to the boats or the boats coming to them. There were a lot of people on their backs gasping for air. This was all in the first few hundred yards. I never got in rythym and could not get enough air in my lungs the enitre time. It was awful. I basicall "swam" with my head above water trying to talk myself out of quiting for 90% of the race. As I finally reached the beach, I was dizzy, very light headed. This surprised and scared me a little. I swam a lot in training (granted all in the pool) and swma a mile and a half more than once and felt fine so, I was worried. With each step I started to feel better.
What would you do differently?:

Forget the drills and all that in trianing and just swim for distance. In warmer weather, do as many OWS as possible. I am almost to the point of saying pool training is a waste of time. There is no relation in swimming pool laps and an OWS trithlon, for me at least. I am very comfortable in the water, don't have panic feelings ever but again, for whater reason, this wasa brutual swim and I never got in a groove.
Transition 1
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Needless to say after my swim report, I was in no hurry here. I needed to get my head together.
Bike
  • 1h 21m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

After deep frustration with the swim, I felt pretty good on the bike. I always get passed and did here too but also passed several people. I felt pretty strong but time wise ended up in the 75% quartile for my age group. At the end of the race when i was getting my stuff together to go home, I realized I had a completely flat front tire. Not sure when this happened. I didnt notice it on the bike but I will tell myself it was starting to go flat and slowed me down! Regardless, I felt ok on the bike and was gaining confidence.

Not get a flat.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Again, no hurry here.
Run
  • 1h 06m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Uh oh. This was a disaster. I had severe cramps in both legs, all muscles. It was awful. I had to walk probably 25% of the course and when I "ran" it was slow and labored. Again very frustrating for me. I didnt understand why I was hurting so much.

Get a ride.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and sat down!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much to type here.

Event comments:

This was my 1st Olympic distance. I had a lot of trouble but I finished, I didnt quit and fought through a lot of pain. Better than sitting on the couch all day I guess. BTW, nothing to me is more motivation than the better triathletes who finish and come back to the course to cheer you on. Not just standing there clapping but looking you in the eye as you pass and talking directly to you. This always impresses the heck out of me. Thanks to all of you that do that. You make a difference.

Last updated: 2011-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
34:36:00 | 1640 yards | 2h 06m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: The course was typical, a large triangle.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:14
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:00 | 24.85 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: I liked this course. Really only one area a mile or so long that was a climb and it wasnt as steep as it was a gradual climb.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:06:00 | 06.21 miles | 10m 38s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Street/Small fine gravel. Flat for the most part.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-05-23 10:33 AM

KC Suburbs
Subject: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2011-05-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3513646

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Your swim sounded like mine, except I finished a few minutes behind you. I totally panicked. It was my first OWS and just freaked out. I have more than a mile many times in the pool, but as you say, it just doesn't translate.
2011-05-24 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3513646

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Subject: RE: Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Solid swim and bike for your first OLY. Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kansas City Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed