in reply to: #242196

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-09-09 7:55 AM
in reply to: #243166

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: HOUSTON OPEN WATER SWIM

I have done 2 MS-150's. October 2004 was my first one and was the hardest - I was averaging 75-80 mile weeks with cycling cycling 4-5 times a week to get my endurance up, but understand - I was also 305 lb's and riding a mountain bike. The BP Ride in  April 2005 was my best - Austin was hard the 2nd day, but I weighed 260 lb's and had a sweet road bike.

Are you training for the one this October or for the next one in April?

IMHO, The Bike to the Beach in October is easier - first day is a little hilly, but not worse than anything I ever did in spin class... the second day is much flatter and faster. The BP MS-150 in April was harder - you finish the 2nd day going uphill into Bastrop and the hills the 2nd day when you are already tired are a cruel taskmaster.

The best advice I got was:

1) Do a spin class twice a week if possible - you will get interval training and develop great aerobic conditioning. Then do a long road ride on Saturday or Sunday.

2) Get into a team - The MS-150 is no fun alone, slugging it out by yourself.  The training rides and support after day one is  well worth it (I rode with Valero Refining and St. Arnold's Brewery  - both excellent teams).

3) Learn to ride comfortably in a paceline. This is key to decreasing your overall effort and upping your speed.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, or at least the most important. Road riding is different than going solo like on a tri, but is great fun.

2005-09-09 8:15 AM
in reply to: #243179

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HOUSTON OPEN WATER SWIM Rss Feed  

of 2