Middleburry, Connecticut
United States
Rev3
Total Time = 4h 58m 20s
Overall Rank = 74/625
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/102
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, drank a coffee, ate a banana and a cliff bar. Drove up with Shane, Matt and Greg. Got my stuff ready. Drank a 5hr energy 30min before the start.
Event warmup:

The 1.2 mile swim is my warm-up.
Swim
  • 33m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had a pretty good swim. Water was calm. I started right on the buoy line and towards the front. Really no contact to speak of. Didn't draft too well and after getting on some feet that faded after the first half and were swerving going across I decided not to waste my energy and just to swim on my own. It was hard to see between the first and second turn buoy. Really bad glare but I think I was pretty straight going across.

I generally don't swim very hard at these races. I just get into cruise control and go my pace.

What would you do differently?:

Maybe use some bursts to get on feet here and there. Time savings just doesn't seem worth the effort here.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

I raced without a bag and made a nutrition adjustment based on the weather so had to jam some stuff in my pockets that took a little time. Also a long run-up in the wetsuit with no strippers so that added some.
Bike
  • 2h 39m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.13 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a tough bike course to go fast on. If you are a little weak on the bike this course will expose it pretty quickly. You can't fake it here and need power to race this one well.

I forgot my HR monitor and was going to just ride by feel anyway and let my power be in a ballpark range. I stayed within myself and never went into the red but did spike watts purposely cresting some of the shorter rollers to maintain speed over the descents.

avg watts 227
normalized power 253
avg cadence 78

30sec peak power 447
1min 362
3min 300
5min 284

When I saw a long climb coming I just let people go and kept it under 300.

Joule had this at 4,200 ft of climbing. It was no joke.

Hit 51.5mph in the aero bars on one of the descents. Came to the realization I'm either way more aero than some people or just have a much higher risk tolerance but passed a lot of people on a lot of downhills after power over the crests.

Not sure of split relative to the field yet but it says I moved from 162nd to 44th overall and 35th to 13th in AG.

I did make a call and adjust my nutrition based on the weather. I've done it in training too so was used to it but I only took 1 500 calorie bottle with me on the bike and 2 EFS liquid shot flasks in my pockets of 400 calories each. It was the right call because it was cool and it would have been a little too much liquid if I took down 3 bottles like I originally planned. Also grabbed a gatorade and drank half and tossed it and did the same with a water along the way. I weigh enough so wasn't about to carry around 2 full bottles with me for no reason up the hills.

Nothing really. I think I biked it about right. If this were Timberman I would have probably been up over 23mph today. On a flatter course I would just put it in the big gear and push a little over 240 watts and not think about it but this course forces you to make decisions on the numerous rollers. I'd be interested to try a flatter course where power and aero trumps weight a little more but this was still good compared to the field I think.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Had to take all the junk out of my pockets so took a little longer.
Run
  • 1h 41m 17s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This is a really hard run course for someone who weight over 180 pounds. Really just kept it turning over and kept the stride rate high. Ran by feel the entire way and just tried to keep it at an honest hard effort.

First couple miles are fast and let you get your legs under you but then it turns into a bad joke and you turn onto this dirt rode and just start running up a hill into the boonies and from there the hills were plentiful.

Just listened to coach here. Kept the stride rate high and just kept turning over. Fought off some mental negative talk about halfway that told me to walk the aid stations but I never slowed down. My rhythm for the aid stations became grab the water for a quick sip and pour on head, grab a gatorade for a quick gulp and toss it, grab a final water and run with it for a few seconds and take two sips. Worked well for the most part and didn't need to really break stride at all. I was worried if I started walking I might seize up or let the negative voices take over so didn't play that game. Also took down 4 GUs along the way.

I slipped back from 44th to 74th overall and 13th to 21st in my AG on the run.

Run was the personal victory for me today. Answered some questions. It is my limiter. My stand alone half time from last year is 1:35 so this is a pretty good performance on a way harder course. If I ever want to get to Kona or Vegas for championships I need to be running 1:20s for 13.1 stand alone and be about 10-15lbs lighter probably. Probably doable over another year or two. Not sure what my stand alone time is right now but assuming low 1:30s.

Big strides in my 4 70.3 races though here:
2009 Timberman 2:10
2010 Rhode Island 1:54
2010 Timberman 1:49
2011 Rev3 1:41 on a way harder course

Will keep being consistent and getting better on these. There is no quick fix and I think my bike strength directly translates to quite a bit of time savings.

Nothing I think I paced it just right for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a muscle milk they handed me and talked to a couple of guys who finished around me and then went over to watch my friends finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness and weight. Course penalized weight.

Event comments:

Great race. Tough field of competitors. If you have weakness this course will expose it pretty quickly.

Last updated: 2010-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/102
Overall: 0/625
Performance: Good
Suit: xterra vendetta
Course: Clockwise kind of triangle.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:39:03 | 56 miles | 21.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/102
Overall: 22/625
Wind:
Course: Hilly 4,200ft of climbing
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:41:17 | 13.1 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/102
Overall: 0/625
Course: Hilly
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-06 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: Rev3 Quassy Half

2011-06-06 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3534307

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Rev3 Quassy Half

awesome job!!!  Congrats on a stout performance, you will destroy a flat fast course!!!

It has been a pleasure watching you get faster and faster over the years, it is nice to see hard work pay off!!! 

Way to go Jay!!!

2011-06-07 9:31 AM

User image

Jay, you had an amazing race.  I saw you zoooom past me right before the first aid station.  I was going to yell to you, but I didn't want to slow you down.  This Bike course exposed me BIG TIME!!  And hey, don't knock your Run Time, we ran the same exact run time and I Biked a lot slower and easier than you, and weigh 10 lbs less than you.  Sub 5 hours on this course is SUPER LEGIT.  If this is any indicator, you're going to have a great Race at LP.     

Edited by Dream Chaser 2011-06-07 9:32 AM
2011-06-07 9:40 AM

User image

Master
syracuse

great race, great improvement.....final build to LP!!

2011-06-09 8:17 PM

User image

Boston
Great job!!!!!!!! You totally rocked that course! LP is going to be a piece of cake! That bike and run was relentless! I am planning on Vegas this year (hopefully will qualify at Providence 70.3), and am debating about pulling the trigger on an IM next year ... thinking of either LP, possibly St. George to play up my bike strength! I have to fix my freaking swim first though cuz I can't fall too far behind if I want to have a chance for a Kona slot! 
2011-06-10 7:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2011-06-11 8:20 AM

Great race!  If it wasn't going up it seemed to be going up some more...that endless hill on the run was impressive!  Not sure that was a run more than a climb!
2011-06-11 10:06 AM

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Solid race all around. Looks like you paced the bike really well to be within ~5 min of your open half marathon. Awesome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Quassy Half Rss Feed