Middlebury, Connecticut
United States
Revolution 3
Total Time = 7h 00m 13s
Overall Rank = 179/226
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 45/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am. Had a banana, oatmeal, and a bagel at the hotel. Very easy 5min drive to the park and no issues with parking and unloading. Nice to not have a bike to worry about as we checked them in the day prior.
Event warmup:

I don't really warm-up. Maybe you could count getting into my wetsuit as my warm-up :-)
Swim
  • 36m 55s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is my easy leg. I'm 100% comfortable in the water. I don't really push it and still get decent times. This swim is beautiful. The water was really nice ... I think it was 69 degrees. The buoys were well place and it was easy to site. There was sun glare after the first turn but the big yellow site buoys were easy to find. I did get bumped a lot a the beginning but that is normal for my age group.
What would you do differently?:

I might have actually tried a little harder. I definitely had more in me to give in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

I know it... I have horrible tranistion times. This one really was horrible. I hate pulling off my wetsuit and I had extra troubles on this day. My feet don't like asphalt so I was being a major wimp. I might get the award for the longest T1 time.

I'm not really trying to win the race so I'm not sure I really care if my transition times are horrible. Give me a wetsuit illegal race and I'll show some better T1 times :-)
Bike
  • 3h 43m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I just started biking last year so I'd say I'm a novice biker. This course exposes your skills in a big way. I'm very timid on the huge descents and I paid for this in my time. The climbs really didn't bother me but I could have been smarter in rolling into the hills. I really did add a lot of work for myself. It was a beautiful ride and the weather was perfect. It made the ride so much fun. I also thought the support on the couse was top notch and I always felt safe. They gave great warning when you need to slow down on corners.

I need to get better at descents and decisions on gearing on rollers. I had a ton of leg left at then end of the bike and could have worked it harder. Since this was my first half I focused on finishing... I now know I can go harder. I also need to work on nutition ... I didn't eat anything which came back to bite me on the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 49s
Comments:

Another slow transiton.... but I had a bathroom stop in there.
Run
  • 2h 30m 28s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This run kicked my butt. I'm not a great runner to begin with but this was crazy. I failed to eat on the bike and I paid for it at the start of the run were I felt off... I put down a cliff bar and gu in transition but it took the first few miles to kick in.... and as I learned it was the first few miles I should have pushed as the rest of the couse was HARD. There was a dirt road that just kept going up and up. It was pretty but very cruel on my legs. The biggest killer was that hill right at the end.

I need to work the nutition better on the bike to come in prepared for the run. My blood sugar was off at the beginning. I ran so slow on the course. Given how fresh my legs felt at the end of the race I know as messed that up. Lesson learned as this was my first half. The goal was to finish and I did that.
Post race
Warm down:

I definitely didn't push myself hard enough as I was way to fresh at the end of this thing. I downed a water and grabbed some food and chatted with my friend who also ran the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really need to work on my bike skills and nutition plan on the bike. I've got an Ironman in August and there is no way I'll get away with not eating during the bike leg. I also learned I can push much harder on the bike. Even with all those hills my legs were in great shape for the run..

Event comments:

This is a really well run race. Everything is so well put together. The course is extremely well marked. There are plenty of aid stations and they are well stocked (gu and water on the bike, soda, pretzels, gu, water, gatorade on the run). I always felt safe on the course and well taken care of. Yes its a pricey race... but well worth it.

Last updated: 2011-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:55 | 2310 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 0/226
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: