General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Middlebury, Connecticut
United States
Revolution 3
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m 38s
Overall Rank = 457/851
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 94/149
Pre-race routine:

Well I did the Rev3 Olympic yesterday, then went ack to the hotel and used my recovery pump for 2 hours, took a shower and then came back to drop off my bike and then went over to Carlito's for dinner with the team. Had a very good Hawaiian Pizza but we had to wait forever to order. Still got to do alot of storytelling and bonding with my teammates. very cool and unique group. Then went home packed up my stuff glued my wetsuit tear, mixed up my EFS and Ultragen with Prerace, and then called home and went to bed. Woke up at 5:00am and got dressed and got going by 5:20 and grabbed an apple and drank my Ultragen with Prerace. Tons of traffic entering the park and parked well up the hill. So I had alot less time to set up my transistion area. Then sunscreened and tri slided up and then stood in the massive porta Potty line. Serious Comic relief, Mike lavato and Stu were the race commentators and Stu decided to interview Mike in the porta potty (Of course this was next door to me and Mike is my teammate). Mike conducted a very enteraining report. They had me in tears. Afterwards I put on my wetsuit and had to get some help zipping up as my top got caught in the zipper.
Event warmup:

By the time i got to the beach they were kicking everyone out of the water for the prerace ceremonies and then sending off the pros. Was in the 5th wave of the day.
Swim
  • 38m 32s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Again took a non aggressive stance at the start in the back on inside. Avoided a lot of contact and head right at the first buoy which again opened up alot of open water. Got into a nice rhythm and stayed right in the buoys up to the turn. After the turn we were right into the sun and I couldn't see anything. Felt totally lost out their as I drifted a bit outside and could find the buoys and was outside the traffic lane. Had to stop and find the other swimmers and drive back into the middle of the traffic so I something to navigate off of. Passed fairly close to the buoys even though I never saw them till I was past them as yellow buoys into the sun are a bad combo. Of course the red turn bouy I didn't see until i was about 4 feet infront of it. After the turn I navigated much better on the way back and found my rhythm again and took a straight line to the swim exit. Good swim overall.
What would you do differently?:

Don't know what i could have done about not being able to see. My Foggle kept my goggle fog free, but I just couldn't see. Felt pretty good and smooth.
Transition 1
  • 04m 25s
Comments:

Another long run up to transition with I did very gingerly since my left heal was hurting a bit. Got to my bike and had a nice deliberate and smooth transition. However i still managed to only stuff one of my EFS liquid flask in my uniform. Lost 38 positions OA and 13 in my agegroup in T1.

Forgetting half of my nutrition was could have been alot more costly on a hotter day but I got by. Not a good thing to do.
Bike
  • 3h 10m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Eased my way into the bike. Took the first few miles easy and spun up the early steep hills that got me last year. This course is pretty tough as the hills just keep coming at you over and over but I got into a nice smooth rhythm and stayed in the moment and didn't try and do too much. Rode well up the hills on main street which was a really ugly patch of road (pothole city) and had to pass a group of 4 on the right since the road conditions dictated it was safer to stay on the margin and hold my line and pass on the wrong side. I got going well and enjoyed the long decent into Black Rock lake Park area. The long climb out of that area was a grind alternated standing and seated for stretchs and grinded it out. The next set of rollers was tough and then the out and back strech which is a long downhill and then turn around and climb back out. Again alternated seated and standing especially in a few steep spots and then up again through town and then finally back onto the Olympic course. The big decent on the Olympic was slower since I had a rather large guy in front of me who was all over the road and it was scary to try and pass him as he weaved. Over the last 10 miles I spun up the hills and went back and forth with a guy in a Penn State uniform. The last mile was the smoothest section of road on the corse which made one last hill acceptable. Tried to drink every 20 min and take some liquid shot every 10 miles. But after i finished my first flask and tossed it I couldn't find my second (was still in transition)

Good ride and Ironman prep with tired legs from yesterday. Not much to do differently. Tough course. Made up about 20 spots on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 46s
Comments:

Had some issues trotting with the bike and bike shoes, and then had another person put him wetsuit over my rack slot. Then took my time and sunscreened again. Lost about 10 spots O/A a 5 AG spots.

Go faster and not have people put there stuff on my rack.
Run
  • 2h 03m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off and my heel was hurting and I felt very rough, but the downhill mile helped and I made it to the first aid station and the porta potty. After stopping I did feel alot better and got into a rhythm and worked my way around the lake and talked to people as they worked past me. Then we got down to the former K-Swiss mile and the long hill. I trudged my way up and and just grinded my way up the hill which just kept going and going. Once we got to the top there is another hill which is demoralizing. The down and back segment brought one of my teammate past me and we saw Carole but she had to tend to a runner who went down, but she had plenty of help. I climbed my way out and hit halfway and decided I didn't feel to bad defintely better than last year. Worked up the mile 8 hill and start a back and forth with a guy who would pass me and then go to a walk as i passed by and then he would come back and pass again. Was really bad when He had a bunch of folks cheering hard and he lew past only to walk once he was around the corner and out of site. After 2 miles of this I had enough and upper my pace to keep him behind me and stop this little game. By the turnaround I had a put some big time distance on him. That really did get me rolling and i kept up with the effort though mile 11 and 12 and then grinded my way up the final hill and cruised to the finish line. Actually got to see myself on the big screen.

Could have had fresher legs if I didn;t do the Olympic but i was happy with the run. Very tough run course especially after the bike course.
Post race
Warm down:

Got another towel and dipped in the ice water. Dreank a gatorade and muscule milk and then got some food. Sat and ate and did some stretching before heading up to transition and packing up my stuff and the car. Drove back to the hotel and did 2 hours in the recovery pump and then got dinner at Bertucci's.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The double or Revolution made it tough to go fast but I really felt pretty good all day and stayed within myself and this weekend was great practice for IM Canada.

Event comments:

Got done and ended up talking with James Cunema the winner in the pro division. Very cool. This race had a very nice feel to it. It is a big time race with a small town feel. Great job by Rev3. Enjoyed completely.

Last updated: 2011-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:32 | 2310 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 345/149
Overall: 74/851
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Hurricane Cat 5 Full
Course: Inverted triangle course a bit further out and the cross leg was longer as a result and dead into the sun which was brutal. Then back to shore. Race was not wetsuit legal for the pros but the AGers didn't have to worry about it.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:10:02 | 56 miles | 17.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/149
Overall: 0/851
Performance: Average
First 38.60 miles 2:10:29 (17.75 mph) Second 17.40 miles 59:32 (17.53 mph)
Wind: Little
Course: Started of the other direction out of the park and right into the rolling hills plus a two extra big hills before meeting up with the Olympic cours for 15 miles and the steep hills, then a cool decent down to Black Rock park and town and then the long 6 mile multi tier climb back out. Then more rolling hills to the out and back/ down and back up section. Then back to the olympic course until the split and 6 miles back around to the park as we came out.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:03:53 | 13.1 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/149
Overall: 0/851
Performance: Average
First 5.50 miles 51:39 (9:24/mile) Next 5.40 miles 50:29 (9:21/mile) last 2.20 miles 21:43 (9:53/mile)
Course: Downhill first mile, shallow uphill to mile 2.5 or so and back down to 3.5. Then only the dirt road and a mile+ long uphill with lots of steep segments. To an out and back in the neighborhood down to the lake and then back out to the halfway point. Then another climb to mile 7 and then onto the Olympic bike and the last long hill and around to mile 8 and then to the front of the park. Then down to the start of the olympic course and a nice flat/downhill segment to mile 10. Then the gradual uphill to the turn around but straight back to mile 12 and then the same last miles with the long hill under the road, then around to the park and in the back entrance to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-09 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Revolution3 Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed