General Discussion Race Reports! » RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 41m 9s
Overall Rank = 241/600+
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 32/66
Pre-race routine:

This was my first competitive OWS!!...Thank god I listened to BT members and got a better than average nights sleep the night before because IHad a miserable nights sleep the eve of the race. Got up at 4 (730 first wave) had a bagel with peanut butter, gel, and a banana and 2 cups of coffee....loaded car and family by 515 to take 1 hr drive to race site. Rained the entire way there till we got out of car. Sipped gatorade on way over
Event warmup:

No warmup other than stretching and getting comfortable in the water. Due to bringing kids I showed up at transition at 645 (730 first wave)

The transition area was packed and took awhile to get set up properly
Swim
  • 36m 32s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did a warmup the day before and the lake was very placid. Today was very choppy just like a practice swim a month ago so the out ward leg I was battling with taking in water plus the current was dragging us into oncoming traffic if you were not careful, after I turned the buoy it was easier dealing with the chop but it seemed like every time I spotted I was always off course drifting away from the buoys, therefore I kept correcting myself and LOST ALOT of Time!!!
What would you do differently?:

I will need to practice spotting and dealing with current but I was happy I grinded it out for my first competitive OWS!!!

I was predicting a 30 minute swim and if it was calm and stayed on course I probably would have achieved it, but maybe next time
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

ranked 123 /600 so not bad...my problem was I was in too high a gear....not a disater but not great...another oversight
Bike
  • 1h 06m 25s
  • 22 miles
  • 19.87 mile/hr
Comments:

handled bike pretty well except for a few hills in first 6 miles exposed me, and I definately need to work on this...beautiful ride though

work on hills
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

pretty smooth here

nothing
Run
  • 53m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

once again the hills exposed a flaw in training...i was pretty happy with time I usually do a 43-45 min 10 k but since it was my first time with swim/bike preceding it and those hills I was pleased

train hills!
Post race
Warm down:

drinks, fruit,

What limited your ability to perform faster:

if you havent got the point is I need to train hills and spot better/navigate in OW....I was shooting for a 2:30 and if the course was flat I could have puller off 220 but it wasnt so I did the 241.....so for my first tri I was very happy, but I do need to keep improving

Event comments:

I was very pleased with this race, the finish line was great with all the support, for a moment I felt like I was doing an IRONMAN (well maybe not exactly, but the support at the transitions and some homeowners on the course was uplifting....the scenery does not get much better on Long Island....

Last updated: 2011-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:32 | 1760 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/66
Overall: 422/600+
Performance: Below average
none
Suit: full sleeve xterra vortex 3
Course: Out and back with buoys to right...similar to prior years
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:06:25 | 22 miles | 19.87 mile/hr
Overall: 273/600+
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: course was very hilly at times it would almost stop you with the wind, so I lost some time.....there were some overlooks on the course to give you an idea....I need to work on more hill training..
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:30 | 06.21 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 223/600+
Performance: Good
Course: very hilly with multple down and backs with HILLS HILLS HILLS...very beautiful scenery
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-11 8:15 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon

2011-06-11 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3544176

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon
congrats man!!!
2011-07-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: #3544176

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon
my swim rank is wrong..i actually was 240/600 alot better!!! not that anyone cares but me lol
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RJA Memorial Mighty Montauk Triathlon Rss Feed