General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-08-23 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3557530

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev : Official Thread

The roads are in good shape this year.  There are 2 spots of chip and seal on the course that are new this year, but they are short and not a big deal.  In fact, they only affect the full.  All the stuff from last year is really smooth.  

Rev3 should be announcing shortly some great deals with Cedar Point.  The park will be open to Rev3 ONLY on Friday night.  That will be awesome.  Also, the finish line and transition will be outside the park.  

2011-08-23 2:26 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Hey all, I'm in for the Half-REV myself. First time "flying" to a race--so hopefully I can put my bike back together properly!! To say I'm excited for REV3 is an understatement.  I've been working with them for months as they are helping the non-profit I work with be a part of the race (BT is a sponsor of us too--we have the logo on our tri-suits!). The staff is simply incredible, and if that personal touch is given to the race, well, we're in for a treat!  You guys will see us (Team RWB) on the race course, but also at the Expo, so please come by and say hi to me (Brittany) and Comet (Haley). We're working w/REV3 to provide a couple of unique touches that remind us that it's not just race day, but also the 10th Anniversary of 9-11.  So PLEASE stop by the Team RWB booth and say HI! It's always great to meet more BT'ers.

Anyhow, super excited to be doing the race, and super excited to work with the REV3 folks cause they have just been OUTSTANDING.  See y'all soon!

2011-08-26 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)

Just read through the packet and here are some tidbits I pulled out

1) They moved the finish line from last year. Last year it was in the park, very near the Breakers hotel. Now it is (from what I can tell) right next to the transition area. Cedar Point has to make sure the unwashed masses stay out of the park.

2) The Half Fellas of my age (37) go off at 8:35. There are 6 waves in order (lady40+,athena)(M25-34)(F18-39)(M20-24 M35-39 Relay Clyde)(M45+)(M40-44). We have to be out of transition at 7:30 AM. That means you might have an hour of sitting on the beach in your wetsuit. Bring a book

3) No free finisher shirt this year

4) no marker numbers this year. They are providing tattoos that are self applied

5) They do have an alternate swim course listed but no details (better than steelhead-hopefully zero chance of duathlon)

6) no info yet on cedar point tickets

2011-08-26 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
NO finishers shirts or CP tickets this year! Seems like they are getting cheaper on the swag.
2011-08-29 5:24 AM
in reply to: #3661459

New user

Hey guys!  You can count on a finisher shirt waiting at the finish line for you.  That DID NOT go away.  Cedar Point tickets did, so we lowered the entry fee for early bird registration to make up for it.

Charlie

2011-08-29 9:24 PM
in reply to: #3663376

User image

Expert
Coolio Charlie - thanks for the clarification on the finisher shirts ( I thought the 3/4 sleeve deal was pretty cool last year )On a followup - since the ending chute area changed are there any shower facilities for post race wash off that we can get to without having to access the park?

2011-08-30 6:54 AM

Any idea on how many people are entered in the Half? 

2011-08-30 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys-
I went to sign up today, because I was almost positive I saw that registration closed on Aug 31. Well, when I went to register, the price just increased from $250 to $300 and registration is now staying open until Sept. 8th. Does anyone know when this change occurred, or am I just crazy in thinking that registration closed Aug. 31st and failed to notice the price increase the last time I checked the site?

Also, I know it would've made sense to sign up early, but this is my 5th HIM and I wasn't fully sure my body could handle it.
2011-08-31 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3666684

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
i did hear also that registration close on 8/31. i did not hear/know anything about the fee increase (although that seems standard), but $50 is a lot. it is cool i guess if they are leaving it open..more registrants
2011-08-31 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

First HIM, so excuse the newbie question.  I just like to be mentally prepared:

Are there porta-potties on the bike and/or run courses?  I would assume yes, but you know what "a$$.u.me" means.

And, more generally speaking, is there any significant difference between these transition set-ups and a typical OLY distance?  (I am aware of bike set-up on Fri/Sat, transition closing, and stuff mentioned in the athlete guide.  But is there any rule-of-thumb or unspoken rule that I should be aware of?)

Thanks.

2011-08-31 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
This will be my first HIM as well. Therefore I am not qualified to answer the HIM transition setup differences vs Oly....but from reading/searching posts on the tri-forum, I can make some guesses;

(1) I did hear that use of lawn chairs - of the woven nylon and folding aluminum variety - are encouraged in these longer distance races. I guess Sprint and Oly distance athletes have a reputation of being too high strung / territorial, so chair use is frowned upon in those races. Makes sense as I have never seen one in my Oly or Sprint races.

(2) For some reason, athletes using buckets are made fun of - maybe due to their literal translation of the term "bucket list race"?

(3) Reference 1 - as long as you have a helium ballon tied to said chair you are OK. It doubles as a setup area marker for you and then it is also available if you or your co-racers need to re-inflate tires with said ballon. Multiple ballons are discouraged though, as your area will be overrun with athletes that prescribe to an "entitlement" mentality - reference 4 below.

(4) Reference 3 - Be aware of helium thieves or the aforementioned entitlement athletes, especially since tire pressure dwindles as you swim, at an even faster rate, with helium apparently. But caution - reference 5.

(5) Dont be tempted to use the helium ballon offered from any child along the course or just outside transition if yours somehow floats away. This is a ploy.....usually setup by a fellow competitor (parent of said child) trying to gain a position - you will be DQ'd due to receiving outside aid.

Only a couple workouts remaining before serious tapering begins.......

2011-08-31 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3667669

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
sungirl919 - 2011-08-31 11:06 AM

First HIM, so excuse the newbie question.  I just like to be mentally prepared:

Are there porta-potties on the bike and/or run courses?  I would assume yes, but you know what "a$$.u.me" means.

And, more generally speaking, is there any significant difference between these transition set-ups and a typical OLY distance?  (I am aware of bike set-up on Fri/Sat, transition closing, and stuff mentioned in the athlete guide.  But is there any rule-of-thumb or unspoken rule that I should be aware of?)

Thanks.

1. Porta Potties--- yes, otherwise, there'd be a lot of butts in the breeze and local citizens typically don't go for that (and neither do USAT rules).  Typically these will be at aid stations.

2. I'm not sure how REV3 does their set up area as I haven't done a REV3 race yet--but from what I can tell from pictures it should be about the same set up.

3. I *think* there will probably be wetsuit strippers.  These are GREAT.  As you're getting out of the water, unzip your wetsuit, and get it down to your hips, when you get up to the wetsuit strippers, point at one, flop down in front of them onto your back, they'll grab the part of the suit you've already pulled down, and they'll take the rest of it off. Can be a very quick process!

4. For the rest of it, just follow the rules and HAVE FUN! Thank the volunteers, cheer your fellow competitors, and did I mention, HAVE FUN!

2011-08-31 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3666684

User image

Expert

jazz82482 - 2011-08-30 9:29 PM Hey guys- I went to sign up today, because I was almost positive I saw that registration closed on Aug 31. Well, when I went to register, the price just increased from $250 to $300 and registration is now staying open until Sept. 8th. Does anyone know when this change occurred, or am I just crazy in thinking that registration closed Aug. 31st and failed to notice the price increase the last time I checked the site? Also, I know it would've made sense to sign up early, but this is my 5th HIM and I wasn't fully sure my body could handle it.

Hi Jazz...I went to sign up today for the aquabike and got the $50 increase too.    I sent a message to the race directors via Active...whining.  I really hope they make exceptions to this price increase, especially since you don't even get tickets into the park with entry like last year.  I'll let you know what I hear back from them.  If I don't hear back by tomorrow, I will probably look them up on FB.  Seems kinda crappy to just up the price! 

2011-09-01 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3668498

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
TrishM - 2011-08-31 11:48 PM

jazz82482 - 2011-08-30 9:29 PM Hey guys- I went to sign up today, because I was almost positive I saw that registration closed on Aug 31. Well, when I went to register, the price just increased from $250 to $300 and registration is now staying open until Sept. 8th. Does anyone know when this change occurred, or am I just crazy in thinking that registration closed Aug. 31st and failed to notice the price increase the last time I checked the site? Also, I know it would've made sense to sign up early, but this is my 5th HIM and I wasn't fully sure my body could handle it.

Hi Jazz...I went to sign up today for the aquabike and got the $50 increase too.    I sent a message to the race directors via Active...whining.  I really hope they make exceptions to this price increase, especially since you don't even get tickets into the park with entry like last year.  I'll let you know what I hear back from them.  If I don't hear back by tomorrow, I will probably look them up on FB.  Seems kinda crappy to just up the price! 

first year doing this race, so don't have a comparison, but were ticket prices higher in general last year to accomodate the "free" park entrance?

also, i understand the issue with the fee increase, especially $50, but if you think about it, every race has an increase for last minute entrants. local oly races that i've done increase their price $20-30 over the life of the registration, so i guess a $50 increase for late registrants for a full and half race that is much more of a production than a local race doesn't seem that bad. the RD and promotions have to have enough volunteers/aid workers/schwag/medical people for everyone in the race. that's why they try to get a good idea further out how many people are doing it. more registrants closer to puts a strain on their resources, not ours.

2011-09-01 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3668725

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Bnclev - 2011-09-01 9:29 AM

first year doing this race, so don't have a comparison, but were ticket prices higher in general last year to accomodate the "free" park entrance?

also, i understand the issue with the fee increase, especially $50, but if you think about it, every race has an increase for last minute entrants. local oly races that i've done increase their price $20-30 over the life of the registration, so i guess a $50 increase for late registrants for a full and half race that is much more of a production than a local race doesn't seem that bad. the RD and promotions have to have enough volunteers/aid workers/schwag/medical people for everyone in the race. that's why they try to get a good idea further out how many people are doing it. more registrants closer to puts a strain on their resources, not ours.

My issue is that there was no advanced warning for the price increase. I have no problem with price increases that are clearly stated on the website, ahead of time. Two weeks ago, it said, $250 until Aug 31st when the registration closes at midnight. Then, on Aug 30, I went to register, all of a sudden, the price jumped 20%, and they wrote it was in effect Monday Aug 28th (Monday was the 29th, btw). I feel like that's pretty darn sneaky, and not something I appreciate. I know that in the end, it's my fault for not having registered the first time, but I was waiting to get paid, to avoid using a credit card- because according to the site, there was no reason NOT to wait, esp. since the race is still new and doesn't have a history of selling out yet. Now I feel a bit tricked and misled, and to me, $50 isn't just a drop in the bucket.

If I were the RD, I would've said- Hey, we're extending registration until Sept. 8th- woo-hoo!! But after Aug 31st (the originally stated close date), prices are going up to $300. I have not done a race before that changes prices like this, right before the originally close date, without an explicit timeline for price increase- and I have done A LOT of races.
2011-09-01 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3668745

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
jazz82482 - 2011-09-01 9:41 AM

My issue is that there was no advanced warning for the price increase. I have no problem with price increases that are clearly stated on the website, ahead of time. Two weeks ago, it said, $250 until Aug 31st when the registration closes at midnight. Then, on Aug 30, I went to register, all of a sudden, the price jumped 20%, and they wrote it was in effect Monday Aug 28th (Monday was the 29th, btw). I feel like that's pretty darn sneaky, and not something I appreciate. I know that in the end, it's my fault for not having registered the first time, but I was waiting to get paid, to avoid using a credit card- because according to the site, there was no reason NOT to wait, esp. since the race is still new and doesn't have a history of selling out yet. Now I feel a bit tricked and misled, and to me, $50 isn't just a drop in the bucket. If I were the RD, I would've said- Hey, we're extending registration until Sept. 8th- woo-hoo!! But after Aug 31st (the originally stated close date), prices are going up to $300. I have not done a race before that changes prices like this, right before the originally close date, without an explicit timeline for price increase- and I have done A LOT of races.

yeah, fair enough. i didn't realize this was un-announced, and before the deadline. that is unfair. And $50 is not a drop in the bucket..period.

hope you still decide to race..and possibly get something worked out with the promotion, however unlikely that may be.

2011-09-01 12:40 PM

User image

Expert

rfergus5- I like the cut of your jib

(the transition area is very neat and orderly - they had wooden bike racks that secured the bottom of the tires and evenly spaced- not the overhang bars like at an HFP race. The bikes are staggered front to back in a line so you had plenty of room without being smushed. Your rack space even had a placard with your name and number on it)

2011-09-03 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waited 'til late in the game to make hotel reservations due to a late ankle injury that had me convinced I'd have to bail.  All is well and we are staying at Breakers Express.

I'm looking for a ride on Sunday morning so that I don't have to drag the wife and kiddo's out at a crazy early hour.  Anyone staying there that might have a spare seat?
2011-09-04 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3668773

User image

Expert
Bnclev - 2011-09-01 9:56 AM
jazz82482 - 2011-09-01 9:41 AM

My issue is that there was no advanced warning for the price increase. I have no problem with price increases that are clearly stated on the website, ahead of time. Two weeks ago, it said, $250 until Aug 31st when the registration closes at midnight. Then, on Aug 30, I went to register, all of a sudden, the price jumped 20%, and they wrote it was in effect Monday Aug 28th (Monday was the 29th, btw). I feel like that's pretty darn sneaky, and not something I appreciate. I know that in the end, it's my fault for not having registered the first time, but I was waiting to get paid, to avoid using a credit card- because according to the site, there was no reason NOT to wait, esp. since the race is still new and doesn't have a history of selling out yet. Now I feel a bit tricked and misled, and to me, $50 isn't just a drop in the bucket. If I were the RD, I would've said- Hey, we're extending registration until Sept. 8th- woo-hoo!! But after Aug 31st (the originally stated close date), prices are going up to $300. I have not done a race before that changes prices like this, right before the originally close date, without an explicit timeline for price increase- and I have done A LOT of races.

yeah, fair enough. i didn't realize this was un-announced, and before the deadline. that is unfair. And $50 is not a drop in the bucket..period.

hope you still decide to race..and possibly get something worked out with the promotion, however unlikely that may be.

Jazz, check your email!

2011-09-04 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
I made my "hotel" reservations a few days ago. Although I believe I have a better than 65% chance of not getting raped or killed at this locale It has no Indoor pool. Who will be hosting the BT "float and greet" in their hotel pool?
2011-09-06 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids

Weather update on water temp?

2011-09-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3674408

User image

Master
Is there a participant list anywhere?
2011-09-06 10:40 AM

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/erie/e12.html

Looks like 71 -72 around Sandusky right now. 

2011-09-06 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
Weather said 76 on Sunday I think, but you know how that goes ...

Any BT'ers getting together for the practice swim on Friday?

2011-09-07 2:43 PM
in reply to: #3674580

User image

Veteran

I am getting to Breakers on Thursday night from VA. Their will be 4 of us swimming Friday AM. Look for the Central Virginia Endurance jerseys.. Gray/ black and yellow with Dragon on front.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3