United States
www.triutah.com and Utah Summer Games
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 51s
Overall Rank = 83/170
Age Group = clyesdale
Age Group Rank = 8/4
Pre-race routine:

Where do I start with this race! Well, this would be my first sprint race of this season, as I'm training for a half distance in August. I wasn't training hard for this one, but I still wanted to do well. I had a swim meet on Friday in which I had 3 events for a total of 350 meters of racing. This made me tired for the rest of the day. Later that day I picked up my packet and noticed they were for $5 selling raffle tickets for gift baskets with assortment of triathlon stuff. So I bought a ticket.

So the race is a point to point with two transitions. I had two options: drop my bike on Friday and catch the shuttle the next morning from the finish line, or drive yourself the morning of the race and catch a ride back to pick up your car. I decided to drop the bike off. I took my son with me. We drop the bike at Gunlock Reservoir and my son wanted to walk and explore the reservoir. Next thing I knew, the sun was going down and were at least 40 minutes from home and I didn't even pack my stuff. I decide to leave my helmet and bike shoe there.
We got home around 9:15 (we stopped off for ice cream). I cleaned up, got the kids in bed and it was 10:15. I started to panick as I had to pack two bags for both transitions the swim to bike & bike to run. I got packed and it was 11pm!! I set the alarm for 4:30am and I needed to be on the road by 5:10 to make it on the shuttle @ 5:30. I went to bed and crashed. I was pretty exhausted. I had estimated that I could snooze once and be up at 4:40 and start to pack on my stuff in the bags (I left everything out, so I could just put everything in the morning), eat breakfast which I hadn't decide what to eat, use the bathroom, change in to my tri gear and hit the road. Well that didn't happen, I was 99% sure that I snooze the alarm once, but when I check the clock it showed 5:11! I JUMPED OUT OF BED and packed my stuff, fill my water bottle, loaded the car and I was out the door @520. My anxious level was off the charts. I went to plan B which was drop off my running gear at the transition and drive to Gunlock. At 545 I drop off my run gear and I asked a volunteer if the last shuttle leave had left. He pointed to the other end of the parking lot and said "last one is right there, if you hurry up you can still catch it." At 550 I was in the bus!!! I ate my breakfast of a granola bar and gatorade.
Event warmup:

We got to Gunlock and I started to get ready (happy to say I didn't forget anything with all that drama). No warm up, just relax and stay calm.
Swim
  • 15m 25s
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the worst swim race I have ever done. I psyched myself out and didn't swim my race. I ended up swimming what everyone thought I should be doing (I've been read 'Cris McCormack's book: I'm here to win. In the book he mentions in interviews how he'll would tell things to his competiors about how good their swim,bike or run and how they should beat everyone by so many minutes. This would set the stage for them to go out too fast and not race their race). I ended up blowing up after the first bouy, where I was in first place at that time! I went out to fast and couldn't keep that pace up. I stopped and just couldn't get my breathing under control. I swim easy the rest of the way. I could have been 4 minutes faster. My race was over.
What would you do differently?:

I need to be better at pacing myself, especially at the start of the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

I WALKED to the transition and I just didn't care anymore. Since it was a point to point race, we need to pack all of our stuff in the bags they provided. Everything did go smoothly just in slow motion.

Have a better swim.
Bike
  • 41m 46s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I walked out of transition not knowing how I would race the bike. As I got on my bike, a tri buddy of mine happen to leave the transition area at the same timed and we bike about the same pace. So I tried to stay up with him. I raced hard on the course, stayed in the big gear most of the time. The bad part was that my cadence wasn't working. So, I dont know if I was spinning or not. My friend ended up beating me by 50 seconds.

Make sure bike computer/cadence is working.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

It was a good transition. The only hiccup was I had to run around the racks to get my garmin watch off my bike.

Get a separate Garmin to be used as a bike only computer and then I could use my watch for the run only.
Run
  • 31m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a goal to run a 10 minute mile or better. Unfortunately with my bad swim and my equally bad attitude. I didn't do too bad.

Just keep running. Im getting faster.
Post race
Warm down:

I had some grapes and a sports drink.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had I paced better in the swim, I might have been 4 minutes faster. I also could have moved up to fourth place.

Event comments:

It was well run race. There was a great finisher medal, since we didn't get one last year. We had a great turn out by the Tri Club. As I was packing my bike into the car. I heard the announcer call my name. I had just won the raffle for a goody bag! It had $15 worth of free food, a $20 google, $10 two water bottles, a $15 visor, a $25 running cap, a $35 bike pump, a $105 MTB seat and a St.George Ironman bag. All for a $5 raffle ticket!! This made my day!!!!

Last updated: 2011-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:25 | 766 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 0/170
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: a traingle shap course, counter clock swim
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:46 | 15 miles | 21.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/4
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: It was a great day and 90% of the course DOWN HILL.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:31:08 | 03.11 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/4
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. The first half was up hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes