General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Podium first time out, good or bad? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-06-25 6:03 PM

User image

Charlotte, NC
Subject: Podium first time out, good or bad?
It doesn't necessarily have to be the first time a person competes, but early on in a person's tri career, that a person gets a podium finish. I know it feels great but I feel like it's a bit misleading. In an unrelated activity I won on my first time out and kind of took it easy when it came to practice and I paid for it come race day. This was racing radio controlled cars and I got beat mercilessly. I've talked to a few people who have ran tris and have finished towards the top of their group (age, Clyde, athena, etc.) but notice none of them do it anymore and tLk like it was something from their wild and crazy youth. Most of them are not older than mid 30's. It seems like they got a good finish, got lax and then got the rude awakening and quit. All this aside, do you think a strong finish early on is a little misleading to new triathletes? Maybe it could lead to an artificially inflated ego? Poor training practices? Anything else?

2011-06-26 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3567161

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain
Subject: RE: Podium first time out, good or bad?
Hi Bax3r,

Interesting question.  I'm probably not in the demographic to which your post is addressed.

I'm in my late 40s so my wildcrazyyouth/glorydays get further and further away.  Of course breaking the ribbon, setting records etc was an ego trip and still would be.  Although I probably will never know as I'm just not that interested in winning races.  I want to win my life (if that makes sense).  Although I will say that winning a race is so nice and simple (I don't mean easy just simple as in what you need to do is so clear ie run/swim/bike faster and get better times).  Winning at life is so *&%$ dangblasted fuzzy and complicated (unless your definition of winning life is based on finances, fame and the likes.)  I train for life rather than races.

Anyhow I hope I didn't highjack your thread.  We need a 30 something to chime in with thoughts on multiple or singular podium finishes.

2011-07-26 3:55 AM

I agree with this statement.. I read this thread,, Its interesting..!
2011-07-26 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3567765

User image

Ann Arbor

annie - 2011-06-26 1:00 PM Hi Bax3r,

I want to win my life (if that makes sense).  Although I will say that winning a race is so nice and simple (I don't mean easy just simple as in what you need to do is so clear ie run/swim/bike faster and get better times).  Winning at life is so *&%$ dangblasted fuzzy and complicated (unless your definition of winning life is based on finances, fame and the likes.)  I train for life rather than races.

I love what you said here!  So true!  I am also in my 40's, and winning at life is much more important than winning a race.  The training and triathlons make it fun.  I feel good to know that I am out there and I can finish.

p.s. I did win my first triathlon.  It was an all women's tri and I won the over 40 athena age group.  It was a thrill to win, but if I had raced in my age group (non Athena) I would have placed in the middle of the pack at best.  It hasn't stopped me from trying, and maybe some day I might have a chance at winning in my age group too.

2011-07-28 9:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain
Thanks Cindy.  For me exercise makes my life better in some subtle and powerful ways.  Races can be a celebration of this phenomenon.

Back to Baxt3r's question, I bet for some people an early podium finish does generate complacency for others it probably makes them want to go on to bigger and better winnings.  However if it is all about the podium for an athlete they will need to make a paradigm shift to stay active their entire life.

After being a highschool athlete, I had to shift my reasons for exercising.  I remember it being a huge mental change.  As a highschool athlete, I was a small fish in a teeny tiny pool.  I always wonder what it is like for the super athletes, Lance Armstrong types, once they quit racing.  How do they make the shift to living active?  Do they make the shift?  This is probably an easier shift for runners and bikers than for football players.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Podium first time out, good or bad? Rss Feed