General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 9s
Overall Rank = 240/342
Age Group = m40-45
Age Group Rank = 28/35
Pre-race routine:

Couldn't sleep. Only got about 1 1\2hrs sleep. Thinking too much. Got to the even early. By the close of transition had probably another 5 guys show up to rack on our already full rack.
Event warmup:

Stretched. From the close of transition to my wave was about 1hr 10 minutes.
Swim
  • 18m 38s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

We had over 50 people in my wave. The field was very crowded. I started out in the back of the pack as this was my first OWS. Don't know how but I gulped a large mouthful of water and man did I get nauseated. I tried to follow my normal stroke\breathing pattern but felt very uncomfortable and admittedly spazzed out inside. I was making my way through the pack as best I could. Took a second gulp of water...man that really did not sit well. Got out to the turnaround\merge with international distance....talk about a traffic jam. Had visions of stopping swimming and sinking without anyone noticing...then the wtf moment came and I pushed on. I can swim pretty decent, my issues were just mental and this was my first time in a group swim and ows. I plugged on getting bumped\bashed\grabbed. Overall I can look back on it now and think that with the mental issues I was working with I did ok and will think about this swim in the future and use it as a base to grow on.
What would you do differently?:

Try and get more OWS's in. Remind myself that I am a competent swimmer and next time start on the outside line instead of the inside. There was less traffic outside and had I gone there it might have alleviated some of the issues.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Walked into transition while I composed myself mentally and a guy two bikes down from me was sitting down in front of my bike blocking my area. I stepped over him and the little guy decided to move (didn't apologize though). I had everything laid out methodically so found everything easily. Minor issue getting my socks on. Walked bike to the mount line and got on my way.

Don't by new socks the night before. Socks were the only real issue in transition.
Bike
  • 37m 26s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Mounted no problem and just started plugging away. I felt I was behind from the swim (I was out to have fun but wanted to push myself too). Since I felt I was behind I pushed my pace a little. This was my first time in a group ride also. It's amazing what can happen when your competitive with yourself. As I would see people ahead of me I set it as my goal to catch up or pass them...then move on to the next. This mental tactic was all within the paces I have rode before. I wasn't looking to beat anyone but rather using them as smaller goal to keep my mind from thinking ...11 more miles to go....10 more miles to go. They were waypoints on my journey back to transition. I felt the new bike definitely made a difference as I have felt all during my training. I made to work the gears well going up and down the hills which really made it easier climbing them. I was surprised at the way some people rode...biking in the middle of the lane instead of to the right, swerving all over the lane when trying to get a bottle. Overall I was pleased with my ride and felt very confident in it. Man was I sore when I got done though. I could tell I pushed it. BTW my training average speed had been between 16 and 17 mph.

Probably not go so hard on the pace. Try to drink more but the nausea was the issue there.
Transition 2
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Got to the dismount line and man did my hamstrings and gluts burn like never before. I mean I have never had either of them hurt from the ride. I was moving pretty slow from the pain...felt like I was in slow motion. I didn't push it in either transition as this was my first race and while I wanted my segment times to be good I wasn't overly concerned with my transition times. I used them as a break if I needed to.Changing from the bike to run was basically helmet off, shoes off, visor on, shoes on.

Nothing. I was ok with how it went. No issues with any equipment or the switch.
Run
  • 33m 42s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I really didn't think I was going to be able to run from the way my gluts and hams were feeling. Calf was good. Where others were jogging to the run out I actually walked to the transition exit to give my legs a minute break. I had my garmin on since the bike and switched hit the lap button to switch from transition to run. I knew there was no way I was going to hold my normal pace (10min\mile) so just told myself to get going and do my best. I mainly looked at my Garmin to check my heart rate. Occasionally I would check the pace and\or distance just to see how I was doing. I really thought I was going to walk at some point but I just plugged along. I would have people run by me and then catch up to them walking a little while later. A few seconds after I passed them they would take off again. Did this several times with the same people. I caught up to another guy who did the previous scenario who was somewhat around my size. Just as I started to pass him he looked over at me and started to run again. He never stopped again and I never passed him. This was about 2 miles in. At this point my skin feels like it's on fire. I had sun screen on but I was still burning. I have a genetic disease (HCP - Heridtary Coproporphyria) and am not supposed to be out in the sun for long periods of time. That's what makes my skin feel like it's on fire....as well as other feelings\issues. At this point I was getting concerned if I was going to be able run the rest of the race let alone finish. I figured if I could tough it out for 10 more minutes or so I would deal with it afterwards. When I got to mile 3 I just started to kick in the last of the gas I had left. I caught up to a girl that I had played tag with several times earlier in the course. I made it my goal to pass her one last time before the end...which I did. Short term goal to get me to the end of the larger. I finished strong and was proud of myself. I did it!!!!

Not go so hard on the bike so I had better legs for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

1 bottle of Gatorade, 1 bottle of water and a grassy shady area. the shade was my #1 priority. I sat there for a while while I tried to cool off. My wife couldn't find me and decided to look for me at the medical tent as she thought I might be having issues. Eventually got back up and realized that there were bagel chunks and green bananas....I passed on the bananas. One of the things about my disease requires me to stay hydrated more than normal and eat a high carb diet...hence part of the reason I will always be a clyde!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Gulping water on the swim and getting nauseated. I won't use my disease as an excuse.

Event comments:

Overall I was pleased with the venue and the race. I will definitely be back next year. I thought it was well organized and run. Personally I liked the course. Hopefully with some work and experience I will do better next year. I am very pleased with my overall results and my performance for my first race. The race is both mental and physical. I had physical issue so I used the mental aspect to overcome them. Persevere!!!!!

Last updated: 2011-02-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:38 | 820 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/342
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Out and back. Merged in with the international distance on the return.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:33
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:26 | 12.43 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Somewhat hilly in my opinion. Started off going up and down 2 overpasses.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:52
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:42 | 03.11 miles | 10m 50s  min/mile
Course: Flat
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-26 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Far South Burbs of Chicago
Subject: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2011-06-27 12:57 AM
in reply to: #3568004

User image

Regular
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Good job! Way to push through. Congratulations on your first race!
2011-06-27 10:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Far South Burbs of Chicago
Thanks. A day later and I have slightly different feelings. I feel better about how I did overall and am looking at how things went as a teaching to to show me where I need more work and what I can do different next time. Definitely a great experience. I am looking forward to more punishment\pain\pleasure.....wow sounds sadistic!
2011-06-27 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Congrats and great job!!
2011-06-27 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3569170

NOVA, USA
Great job on the race!
2011-06-27 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3569271

User image

Veteran
Nice job on the race!!!

2011-06-28 6:32 AM

User image

New user

Gurnee / Waukegan
Great race, the OWS will get better. It's a mental game, just remember that nothing bad is going to happen to you. First of all you know how to swim so you won't drown. Second they have plenty of people watching us so if you do have a problem we can get help. I know I'm not a seasoned Triathlete but I was a Navy Diver and never have been a strong swimmer (I know that sounds strange but true), it's a mental game, your body is stronger than you brain thinks it is. Job well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed